Claim of Ukraine helicopter attack on oil depot in Russia

PBS

20 minutes ago, PBS said:

An oil storage depot is on fire in a Russian city just north of Ukraine after what the local governor said was an attack by two Ukrainian helicopters.

Of course it was carried out by Ukrainians? Have the Ukrainians admitted the attack was carried out by them? No. I struggle to believe either sides version of events. It's all propaganda.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Santa said:

Of course it was carried out by Ukrainians? Have the Ukrainians admitted the attack was carried out by them? No. I struggle to believe either sides version of events. It's all propaganda.

OK so either Czar Putin did it himself for some nefarious purpose (which is pretty bad) or the Ukrainians were able to pierce Russian airspace with impunity and destroy Russian oil tanks (which is pretty bad).

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

OK so either Czar Putin did it himself for some nefarious purpose (which is pretty bad) or the Ukrainians were able to pierce Russian airspace with impunity and destroy Russian oil tanks (which is pretty bad).

It's a claim. Nothing proven.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Santa said:

It's a claim. Nothing proven.

Yes.

Pictures of the oil storages in flames mean nothing. Entire thing could have been caused by a discarded cigarette by one of those pesky pod people from Zircon 4.

Damn them I say. Coming here in their time travelling ships and simply throwing away their light smokes.

1 hour ago, Rookiescot said:

I bet it was the butler wot did it.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Santa said:

Ukaine has years of experience of special ops with low flying helicopters, very credible Ukaine carried out the attack. Whether the attack causes Russia to step up the tempo of it's aggression is an open question.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Pictures of the oil storages in flames mean nothing. Entire thing could have been caused by a discarded cigarette by one of those pesky pod people from Zircon 4.

What purpose is served by the Ukraine denying they carried out the attack? It serves both sides to manipulate the real stories.

How is propaganda used in war?

Propaganda in wartime must seek to demoralize enemy morale. A primary objective of propaganda aimed at enemy nations is to break down their will to fight. It seeks to lower the enemy's will to resist and it does this in several ways. One is to picture the military successes on the propagandist's side.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Santa said:

What purpose is served by the Ukraine denying they carried out the attack? It serves both sides to manipulate the real stories.

If the Ukrainian helicopters displayed Russian markings and then attacked the oil depot it would be viewed internationally as being very, very naughty therefore Ukraine would have to deny it. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Marble-eye said:

Whether it is propaganda or not this video looks pretty conclusive of an Ukraine air strike.

No it doesn't. 

What can we learn from the videos?

The videos show us an attack involving helicopters did occur, but can not provide firm evidence of whether the aircraft are operated by Ukraine or not.

https://news.sky.com/story/ukraine-war-what-we-know-about-the-helicopter-attack-on-a-russian-oil-depot-12579772

Edited by Santa

4 minutes ago, Santa said:

No it doesn't. 

Who did it then because from where I'm sitting we have a choice between the Russians or the Ukraines. It is a possibility that the Russians bombed their own instillation but highly improbable. So we have the Ukraines left and it is highly probable that they did bomb that instillation, or do you have any better ideas?

Coming out with posts like "no it doesn't' is meaningless without an explanation. So go for it, give us your take on it?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Marble-eye said:

It is a possibility that the Russians bombed their own instillation but highly improbable.

I'll just wait for the movie to come out.

Tonight there was also speculation it might have been a “false flag” or self-inflicted assault by Russia to excuse a major escalation in its war-crimes riddled invasion.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/ukraines-attack-russia-fuel-depot-26614105

16 minutes ago, Santa said:

From your source:

"It is possible Russia launched the attack themselves as they have the same helicopters and it was perhaps an attempt to scupper peace talks with Ukraine."

And what I said:

"It is a possibility that the Russians bombed their own instillation but highly improbable."

So thank you for finding a 'Link' that agrees with me, appreciated.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Marble-eye said:

So thank you for finding a 'Link' that agrees with me, appreciated.

No problem. All we know for sure is that one of them carried out the raid. It suits both sides to distort the truth. Hence why I'll wait for the movie to come out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Santa said:

No problem. All we know for sure is that one of them carried out the raid. It suits both sides to distort the truth. Hence why I'll wait for the movie to come out.

I agree and it certainly would assist the Russians in its propaganda war but for the Ukranians it would be a massive moral booster knowing it can give Russia a little bit of its own medicine.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Marble-eye said:

Who did it then because from where I'm sitting we have a choice between the Russians or the Ukraines. It is a possibility that the Russians bombed their own instillation but highly improbable. So we have the Ukraines left and it is highly probable that they did bomb that instillation, or do you have any better ideas?

Coming out with posts like "no it doesn't' is meaningless without an explanation. So go for it, give us your take on it?

There is a third possibility! It seems that many Russians are opposed to the invasion, including the poor conscripts getting their arses kicked. It's possible that a group of Russians did it to hasten the end of the conflict! But I do like the Russian response of "We can bomb the crap out of your country but you're not permitted to similarly respond!" The petulance of an imperialist power - where have we seen that so oft before???

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

I think it's safe to say that Ukraine force did it, with the help of western intelligence and satellite equipment

we are playing a dangerous game here, and something stupid is going to happen if we play both sides, peace promoter and weapon distributor,

typical hypocrite MO by our western leaders 🤗

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, butterfly said:

I think it's safe to say that Ukraine force did it, with the help of western intelligence and satellite equipment

we are playing a dangerous game here, and something stupid is going to happen if we play both sides, peace promoter and weapon distributor,

typical hypocrite MO by our western leaders 🤗

One way to promote peace is by demonstrating to the aggressor that there is a price to pay for their acts.

Re: "we are playing a dangerous game" - your mistake (it's a common one) is to assume that doing nothing entails less risk.  (this approach was known as "appeasement" in the 1930s and it did not end well).

It is hardly hypocritical to say we want peace but not at the price of allowing the aggressor to roll over the victim state.

Edited by Politenessman
typo
  • Like 1