News Forum - The Thaiger Announces New Bus Service

Thiager

BANGKOK (AP) – The Thaiger Pte. Ltd announced Friday it will launch a new premium intercity bus service called Thaiger Bus, focusing on popular tourist hubs in Thailand, as it bets on a recovery in travel demand in fiscal 2022.

Thaiger bus.jpg

The new service will launch following the company's acquisition of two 48-seater Ashok Leyland 3900s, and the fares will be at "an affordable price range consistent with bus travel in Thailand," a spokesperson for the company said.

The services will offer free WiFi and each seat is equipped with charging facilities, with the seafaring-themed interiors by the acclaimed Chiang Mai-based KR Modular Design.

Although exact timetables are not finalized yet, Thaiger CEO Mr. Tim Newton said it is initially planned to offer daily services connecting Pattaya and Phuket, as well as Chiang Mai and Khon Kaen, with a flat fare of 750 baht one-way.

"We can operate routes that will appeal both to visitors and long-term expats in Thailand," Mr. Newton said at a news conference at Thaiger's head office in Bangkok.

“We see the expat community as our core market. In fact, we are offering free tickets for the first 500 O Visa retirees with a valid certificate stating THB 3 Million in health insurance. Accompanying wives and girlfriends for the lucky 500 will pay only 200 baht in the initial campaign. Retirees in particular enjoy bus travel. Speaking as a qualified bus driver myself, I know this can be a success”, he said.

Some industry analysts were quick to point out the potential problems of offering a night service from Pattaya to Phuket with only one toilet on board, especially considering a presumably liquored up target demographic at the time of departure. Mr. Newton dismissed any concerns over a disruption to the service.

“ We are well aware of this logistical challenge and we will be scheduling toilet stops every twenty minutes for the first three hours of the Pattaya to Phuket route,” Mr. Newton said. “And with the procurement of upgraded double-decker Ashok Leyland 4900s later in the year, each bus will be equipped with three toilets, so it's a non-issue,” he said.

And in a first for Thailand, six of the twelve drivers are UK nationals and will act as ambassadors for the Thaiger brand in each of the four Thaiger Bus destinations. Interest in the new venture has been robust, with the Thaiger Bus ticket office in Pattaya flooded with enquiries after opening on Friday morning.

Not everyone is impressed, however. Thai Transport Union (TTU) Chief of Operations Mr. Somchai Ratburana questioned the decision to hire foreign drivers.

“If we allow this, it sets an unfortunate precedent”, he said. “Six foreign bus drivers now, what's next? Foreign public officials? Foreign police?”. Mr. Ratburana also stated that the free ticket promotion seemed to be unfair to Thai citizens, and represented "dual pricing".

The TTU is considering launching its own services on the same routes, according to a source familiar with the matter.

Click HERE for booking and timetables, and to claim your 5% Thaiger Talk member's discount

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Tha1ger said:

If we allow this, it sets an unfortunate precedent”, he said. “Six foreign bus drivers now, what's next? Foreign public officials? Foreign police?”. Mr. Ratburana also stated that the free ticket promotion seemed to be unfair to Thai citizens, and represented "dual pricing".

Love it😂😂😂

• Like 1

I must congratulate Mr Tim Newton et al on  the new bus service, an excellent idea!!

All aboard...🤓

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Tha1ger said:

in a first for Thailand, six of the twelve drivers are UK nationals and will act as ambassadors for the Thaiger brand

Will the work permits be an issue? Or as they are ambassadors will they have diplomatic immunity from prosecution?

44 minutes ago, Tha1ger said:

“ We are well aware of this logistical challenge and we will be scheduling toilet stops every twenty minutes for the first three hours of the Pattaya to Phuket route,” Mr. Newton said.

Couldn't be correct.

I have never seen a British Pensioner who can go 20 minutes without a loo...

😎

3 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

Couldn't be correct.

😎

I just can't work out who is taking p!ss now.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

I just can't work out who is taking p!ss now.

Hey; if the loo fits...

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Tha1ger said:

The TTU is considering launching its own services on the same routes, according to a source familiar with the matter.

I wonder if that one will have dual pricing. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Shade_Wilder said:

Couldn't be correct.

😎

Well they could offer Thaigre adult diapers for the ones who have leakage or can't hold it problems.. TT Logo could be printed on the exterior of the bum, and so no need to wear pants on the bus or when making pit stops at petrol stations pit-stops for changing them and getting food.

In all seriousness, this is also a big form of let's say a free give me for TT advertising. Years ago there was a bus only for foreingers traveling from BKK- CM - BKK. Well TT must be doing quite well in revenue now.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tha1ger said:

Accompanying wives and girlfriends for the lucky 500 will pay only 200 baht in the initial campaign.

Nice one Tim. Lovely bit of “Dual Pricing” turned on its head 😂😂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tha1ger said:

“If we allow this, it sets an unfortunate precedent”, he said. “Six foreign bus drivers now, what's next? Foreign public officials? Foreign police?”. Mr. Ratburana also stated that the free ticket promotion seemed to be unfair to Thai citizens, and represented "dual pricing".

It’s worth launching the service just to get this reaction 😂😂. What an Ef’in cheek. Dual pricing is unfair is it 😂😂. Incredible. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Noble_Design said:

Reading this article and checking the date..  ah all makes sense now

The penny will eventually drop for the rest.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, palooka said:

The penny will eventually drop for the rest.  

But that feeling after reading the article though:

69428b540a878900fd41d97d0b85d2cc.jpg.6b8cb363c1d299b3b81e4ceea4caf2ca.jpg

• Like 1