News Forum - No pre-departure PCR test for travellers entering Thailand starting tomorrow

Thaiger

10 hours ago, Soidog said:

Oh ok. I didn’t know the US had moved to that system. I do wonder how they know when you leave. In returning to the UK I asked an immigration officer if he knew when I left; was it in his screen?  He gave an honest answer and said no, he couldn’t see when I had left the UK, but if required he could find out. I wondered how….

All airlines send a list to customs of everyone who has flown with them either in or out. So the only way you could disguise it is a dodgy passport (very very expensive) - or one of those Mr Potato Head disguises!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, WR2 said:

I don't really care about the predeparture test, I care about the test on arrival that can land you in self funded healthcare jail.

Exactly - it's completely unfathomable ! Totally arse about face and I can't think anyone seriously sat in a meeting and came up with this without spotting the obvious flaws of which there are a few! 

PCR before, to reassure your fellow passengers, then off you go when you get here, or anywhere, as you please.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Soidog said:

Yes, that one was a typical step too far 😂

As an aside, and one for the Non-Brits. Britain is one of only a few countries (I think Canada may be another?) where you don’t clear immigration or Passport control when exiting the country. You arrive at the airport, check in and proceed through security. After that, apart from a normal boarding pass check when boarding the aircraft, you are good to go. If you check in on line and only have a carry on bag, you can print your own boarding pass and simply proceed to security check. I personally don’t like it and wonder how they know when anyone leaves? 

Probably they get this information from air lines?

A passenger has to check in in order to get on board, hasn't he?

11 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Neither Canada or the US do you have ro clear when you leave 

I know so many Thais who overstay 

My wife is a wimp 

She's convinced they know when you leave 55555

I think she is right, when someone checks in for a flight, she or he provides all necessary information including their passport number.

So, if a person has overstayed then there is a good chance that she or he will not be granted her or his next US visa.

But there is always a chance that these guys in customs are slack and oversee the overstay 😉

17 minutes ago, Dmitrii said:

Probably they get this information from air lines?

A passenger has to check in in order to get on board, hasn't he?

Yes, I’m sure they do get information from airlines. So it begs the question of why do some countries have immigration checks on departure and some don’t? Both can’t be best practice. 

22 hours ago, WR2 said:

I don't really care about the predeparture test, I care about the test on arrival that can land you in self funded healthcare jail.

My pov about "no pre departure test" is, that it is totally giving the fault for an positive on arrival test to the tourist.

It looks like they did something for the tourists here, to safe money, in his home/departure country.

Just nothing changing here, on the Thai side of that arrival business.

And I am pretty certain, as soon some, who skipped the pre departure testing, get tested positive on arrival, perhaps even a higher percentage as before, this people will regreet it.

Aside that untested ,people in the planes are rising the risk for everyone on board! To test positive on day 5. 

We will see the outcome in the next weeks

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Dmitrii said:

I think she is right, when someone checks in for a flight, she or he provides all necessary information including their passport number.

So, if a person has overstayed then there is a good chance that she or he will not be granted her or his next US visa.

But there is always a chance that these guys in customs are slack and oversee the overstay 😉

I don't know about that...........we always comply with my wife's visa stipulations but we know so many Thais who do not and never have an issue

14 minutes ago, mws said:

What if you are just transitting the airport ? Are there any regulations for that?

Check the regulations of the airport you are transiting through. They can be found on the website of the airport.

26 minutes ago, Alavan said:

Check the regulations of the airport you are transiting through. They can be found on the website of the airport.

Correct my wife is transit in Korea today and there is an exception for transit passengers don't need PCR test

I printed that out, just so she has the info in case she runs into someone that doesn't know the requirements

On 3/31/2022 at 12:28 AM, TheDirtyDurian said:

Still cost me 8000 baht extra to visit with insurance, hotel etc. That's a deterrent. Especially for families. 

And a lot of beers for single guys. 

And I'm still going to do a PCR anyway just so I know that I'm not positive before I fly to avoid lockup on arrival.  

Your negative test prior to arrival won't help you avoid lockup if you test positive on arrival.  You are putting too much trust in the accuracy of inaccurate tests.

17 minutes ago, Lawyers_Guns_and_Money said:

Your negative test prior to arrival won't help you avoid lockup if you test positive on arrival.  You are putting too much trust in the accuracy of inaccurate tests.

No worries, let him do it anyway, he'll be the unluckiest one if that happens...keep jerking him around of his plans not going to work.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Soidog said:

Oh ok. I didn’t know the US had moved to that system. I do wonder how they know when you leave. In returning to the UK I asked an immigration officer if he knew when I left; was it in his screen?  He gave an honest answer and said no, he couldn’t see when I had left the UK, but if required he could find out. I wondered how….

6 hours ago, Lawyers_Guns_and_Money said:

I know it won't. But that's a risk I'm prepared to take. I've been traveling internationally all through the pandemic for various reasons. 

I don't know about the rate of false positives but at least I'm coming from a place with very little C19, so the chances of me arriving with C19 are very low.

Like I said, I'm prepared to take the risk, and if I'm banged up next week, you won't hear me B+M on here. 

6 hours ago, ace035 said:

No worries, let him do it anyway, he'll be the unluckiest one if that happens...keep jerking him around of his plans not going to work.

Cheers buddy! 😆😆😆

My wife is on her flight home

No mention of covid test at all at check-in 

They did ask for Thai Pass and vaccination 

But when she got to the gate the staff at the gate asked for her PCR test

When my explained to them, the girl didn't know it changed today to not need one

But she was super nice, my wife said

6 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

I know it won't. But that's a risk I'm prepared to take. I've been traveling internationally all through the pandemic for various reasons. 

I don't know about the rate of false positives but at least I'm coming from a place with very little C19, so the chances of me arriving with C19 are very low.

Like I said, I'm prepared to take the risk, and if I'm banged up next week, you won't hear me B+M on here. 

Absolutely, I'm willing to take a risk too as long as I have a long term visa between 60-90 days and knowing what to expect in case of a false positive since I worked hard for almost 3 years, for any regular tourists that only have 2 weeks of holiday or maybe a month if they're lucky enough, that's the reason, they are panicking to a false positive upon arrival in this forum. I am sure that my covid insurance agent have the courage to talk to the hospital so I don't have to pay upfront in case of false positive. Don't worry, the airlines that you coming from then going to Thailand, will not be over 50% capacity, less chance of getting positive.

I'm going to Lao for about 10 days to see family. I have to jump through hoops to go there then have to jump through hoops to return to my home since 2008. Yes the Nong Khai/Vientiane border is open if you have the paper work. So I can take a test in Lao, and within 24 hours take the one person minibus to NK and another damned lockup for a night or more if someone wants to make money of a fake result. Or now I cannot take a test and not know whether the test result is fake. Bull. 
I got email from an old friend in England that wants to return for a long visit after 2+ yrs. absence but won't until they drop the testing because he's been around long enough to not trust the test. 
The "government" has ruined tourism, on purpose? Unless changes come there won't be any tourism to speak of in the future. 

My wife, daughter and I are flying with Air Asia from Nakhon Phanom to Bangkok on April 6, 2022. Which covid documents do we need?

For example, is a PCR test necessary? Or can you just step on board whether or not you have been vaccinated and tested or not?

Regards, Marcel (the Netherlands) 

22 hours ago, Marc26 said:

I don't know about that...........we always comply with my wife's visa stipulations but we know so many Thais who do not and never have an issue

It is so random it drives you mad. When you get a 6 month visit visa for the UK they stress many many times never to use the whole 6 months as that will count against you on any subsequent visa applications ! 

So don't bloody issue them for 6 months then !

Also you can get a dozen visas and comply with every one to perfection, but it counts for nothing. The track record of the applicant means absolutely nothing. With each visa you start from scratch.

31 minutes ago, Benroon said:

It is so random it drives you mad. When you get a 6 month visit visa for the UK they stress many many times never to use the whole 6 months as that will count against you on any subsequent visa applications ! 

Also you can get a dozen visas and comply with every one to perfection, but it counts for nothing. The track record of the applicant means absolutely nothing. With each visa you start from scratch.

That wasn't my experience when applying for my wife. No one stressed anything at VFS or afterwards.

Bottom line is. You got money to stay, you're welcome. That's the UK. 

Also disagree about track record. When you apply for 5 year or 10 year they will look at what you've done in the past, did you leave on time etc etc. 

On 4/1/2022 at 3:46 AM, ace035 said:

I would do that only those bastards put me in quarantine for at least 30 days due to false positive even asymptomatic or mild symptoms.

Quarantine needed the money, you were the bunny. TIT

1 hour ago, Benroon said:

As TDD said, I do disagree with that

I think the track record does go a long way

1st couple of visas to Canada took a bit

Now my wife basically goes and gets whatever visa she needs in 2 weeks

Plus, we have used her track record for her son and Mom

Her 10 year US visa is expiring this year

And looks like she won't need to do an interview for the next visa 

When I apply for my wife, I include all her previous visas and I think that goes a long way 

I've never heard about the 6 months thing

But as stated before, Canada and US can be hard to get but once you get them, they don't really seem to care about your whereabouts or what you up to

I oncw called Immigration to notify we moved, they said they didn't need to know

On 3/31/2022 at 4:28 PM, Alavan said:

Watch out. Don't trust Thai International in Frankfurt. They are more than strict.
Good news is that in the worst case you can get a PCR-test in just over 1 hour... it cost 250 Euro.

I will make pre-flight PCR Test for 49,90 Euro in my home town. Have all the insurances needed in case of positive test in Thailand ( if you have travel cancel insurance with Hanse Merkur the Covid Quarantine insurance extra is just 9 Euros for up to 56 days )

Quarantine is not cheap in Thailand , it’s 80000 baht in pattaya.