News Forum - No pre-departure PCR test for travellers entering Thailand starting tomorrow

Thaiger

8 hours ago, JJJ said:

Of all the measures to get rid of, the predeparture test was probably the least helpful to tourists.  As you noted, a lot of people will still take the test to be sure they’re not going to test positive in Thailand for a lovely expensive stay at a crappy “hosptiel”

Meanwhile the government just confirmed the infection rate on arrival is about 0.6% for the whole month. This huge added cost to catch 0.6% infection is ludicrous. Get rid of Thai Pass and arrival testing NOW!

Also by announcing the inbound infection rate, the government just revealed total entries must be around 6,000-8,000 per day (given 25-30 positives per day). That’s on track for an annual 2-3,000,000 entries and of course that includes Thai re-entering. 

Without a major change, Thai economy will probably contract this year. 

After watching the video coming from CCSA update, .59% very satisfying but not good enough, a positive is a positive upon arrival still, due to scrapping of the PCR test upon departure, it might go up to 3% next month, Stay tuned..Does not matter, the other airlines will ask for PCR test prior to departure so I'm taking it anyway since it's free coming from my health care insurance.

43 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

For me added cost of hotel and insurance came to 8k. Not a big deal for me, but still money I wouldn't have spent otherwise. For a family of 4 that's $1000 extra on a holiday. It's a big deterrent for visitors. And as has been said already, run the risk of a positive on arrival. 

Why take the risk. Just go somewhere else where it's not needed. 

I agree, I am going because I haven't seen my stepson in 2 years but I wouldn't go as a regular tourist

I am also going for 6 week

6 minutes ago, ace035 said:

After watching the video coming from CCSA update, .59% very satisfying but not good enough, a positive is a positive upon arrival still, due to scrapping of the PCR test upon departure, it might go up to 3% next month, Stay tuned..Does not matter, the other airlines will ask for PCR test prior to departure so I'm taking it anyway since it's free coming from my health care insurance.

The airlines won't require pre-departure if the transit and destination country don't

Airlines would prefer not to deal with PCR tests

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I agree, I am going because I haven't seen my stepson in 2 years but I wouldn't go as a regular tourist

I am also going for 6 week

You should extend to 8 weeks but either way, you still have to pay B1,900 & to wait at least 8 hours in Thai immigration to where ever in Thailand you go unless doing the E-visa online, too much paper work required.

7 minutes ago, ace035 said:

You should extend to 8 weeks but either way, you still have to pay B1,900 & to wait at least 8 hours in Thai immigration to where ever in Thailand you go unless doing the E-visa online, too much paper work required.

Or come on a Non-O and it's 90 days anyway. 

16 minutes ago, ace035 said:

I just did e-visa today, was a bit pain in the ass......yes

Some stupid things requested to submit

But rather do e-visa than have to worry about extending and wasting a day in Immigration

2 hours ago, Marc26 said:

The airlines won't require pre-departure if the transit and destination country don't

Airlines would prefer not to deal with PCR tests

We'll see at the end of April if there's an increase of positive cases among incoming tourists, not trying to be pessimistic here but I'm forecasting due to the fact that the Thai gov't is dumb enough to remove the PCR test upon departure, should the other way around. Possible, some airlines would prefer it.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ace035 said:

We'll see at the end of April if there's an increase of positive cases among incoming tourists, not trying to be pessimistic here but I'm forecasting due to the fact that the Thai gov't is dumb enough to remove the PCR test upon departure, should the other way around. Possible, some airlines would prefer it.

Will tell you how it goes tomorrow with my wife flying

I suspect there will be no mention of it

Even when needing test for US/Canada, it was all done online and never mentioned at check-in

Whereas when we were flying in early 2021 it was a big process at check-in

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ace035 said:

Just checked-in my wife online and no prompts or mention of PCR test

Actually felt kinda weird after checking-in to about 10 flights this last year

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Or come on a Non-O and it's 90 days anyway. 

I would do that only those bastards put me in quarantine for at least 30 days due to false positive even asymptomatic or mild symptoms.

9 hours ago, Soidog said:

So not worried you may test positive on arrival then? The cost of that would make a preflight Covid test pale in to insignificance. And in terms of BS, a Covid test is nothing compared to what level of BS you would be subjected to during the 10 days in hospital. 

Good luck mate, but as long as they are testing on arrival, I’m testing before I leave my home country. 

I'll be taking one before I leave my home country too ... on my way to Bali.  Thailand is ridiculous.   Love the place, but the government is beyond idiotic. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ace035 said:

Just an FYI

E-visa was approved in less than 4 hours

So definitely the way to go, IMO

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

Just an FYI

Yes the E-Visa is a good step forward. There are a few user issues that they should clean up but it’s far better than stamps in passports. It also doesn’t clutter up your passport so quickly. My only reservation is how would things work if there was a problem and you needed to speak to someone? For a straightforward 60 day TV which I applied for, then you would expect it to work. For a Non-O or B visa where more supporting documents are required, it may throw up some issues. As an aside, the Cambodian E-Visa system which has been in place for a few years now is also very good.

2 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Just an FYI

That was quick, I was told by Thai consulate in Los Angeles that it will take 15 business days to process with no expediting. Which Thai consulate did you go to? I'm planning to go the last week of May.

15 minutes ago, ace035 said:

That was quick, I was told by Thai consulate in Los Angeles that it will take 15 business days to process with no expediting. Which Thai consulate did you go to? I'm planning to go the last week of May.

It says 14 days on mine as well

But we are in Vancouver

The consulate is tiny 

It's actually so easy for us to walk in and do anything there 

So I was almost a bit bummed I just couldn't go into the office

LA would be much bigger and busier 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

Yes the E-Visa is a good step forward. There are a few user issues that they should clean up but it’s far better than stamps in passports. It also doesn’t clutter up your passport so quickly. My only reservation is how would things work if there was a problem and you needed to speak to someone? For a straightforward 60 day TV which I applied for, then you would expect it to work. For a Non-O or B visa where more supporting documents are required, it may throw up some issues. As an aside, the Cambodian E-Visa system which has been in place for a few years now is also very good.

Yes I've done Cambodia , very easy and no stupid things like taking your picture holding the passport   😀

By the way, stamps are getting close to obsolete I

I've flown to 3 countries with my 1 year old passport and still don't have a stamp in my passport 

3 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Yes I've done Cambodia , very easy and no stupid things like taking your picture holding the passport   😀

Yes, that one was a typical step too far 😂

As an aside, and one for the Non-Brits. Britain is one of only a few countries (I think Canada may be another?) where you don’t clear immigration or Passport control when exiting the country. You arrive at the airport, check in and proceed through security. After that, apart from a normal boarding pass check when boarding the aircraft, you are good to go. If you check in on line and only have a carry on bag, you can print your own boarding pass and simply proceed to security check. I personally don’t like it and wonder how they know when anyone leaves? 

29 minutes ago, ace035 said:

Apologies if I’ve misunderstood, but you don’t need to attend a consulate or embassy when applying using the E-Visa system. As the name implies, it’s all on line and you get the visa via email. Maybe this hasn’t been fully implemented in all countries yet? 

7 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Yes, that one was a typical step too far 😂

As an aside, and one for the Non-Brits. Britain is one of only a few countries (I think Canada may be another?) where you don’t clear immigration or Passport control when exiting the country. You arrive at the airport, check in and proceed through security. After that, apart from a normal boarding pass check when boarding the aircraft, you are good to go. If you check in on line and only have a carry on bag, you can print your own boarding pass and simply proceed to security check. I personally don’t like it and wonder how they know when anyone leaves? 

Neither Canada or the US do you have ro clear when you leave 

I know so many Thais who overstay 

My wife is a wimp 

She's convinced they know when you leave 55555

7 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Apologies if I’ve misunderstood, but you don’t need to attend a consulate or embassy when applying using the E-Visa system. As the name implies, it’s all on line and you get the visa via email. Maybe this hasn’t been fully implemented in all countries yet? 

But it seems to be processed at your local embassy 

I had to choose Vancouver or the main Thai Embassy in Ottawa 

So LA would be much busier than Vancouver 

13 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Neither Canada or the US do you have ro clear when you leave 

I know so many Thais who overstay 

My wife is a wimp 

She's convinced they know when you leave 55555

Oh ok. I didn’t know the US had moved to that system. I do wonder how they know when you leave. In returning to the UK I asked an immigration officer if he knew when I left; was it in his screen?  He gave an honest answer and said no, he couldn’t see when I had left the UK, but if required he could find out. I wondered how….

13 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

But it seems to be processed at your local embassy 

I had to choose Vancouver or the main Thai Embassy in Ottawa 

So LA would be much busier than Vancouver 

Yes that’s right. It was the sentence where @ace035 asked “which Thai consulate did you GO to” that confused me👍🏻

On 3/31/2022 at 3:08 PM, TheDirtyDurian said:

Think they had 61 positive arrivals from their total of 27k in the country today. About 0.25% of the total. 

It's ludicrous. 

I'm only doing it to see family, can't see why anyone else would bother really. 

Apparently today hundreds of people showed up to the Malaysian land crossing to be informed they too needed to have Thai Pass l, accommodation, and pcr test. Meanwhile no need for someone flying from Bangkok to the southern provinces even though they’re much more likely to have an infection (but still low). 

meanwhile the rest of the world moves on while the Thai bureaucrats dawdle.  

• Like 2