News Forum - No pre-departure PCR test for travellers entering Thailand starting tomorrow

Thaiger

Starting tomorrow, travellers entering Thailand will no longer need to take a PCR Covid-19 test before their flight, but visitors will still need to take a PCR test once they land. All travellers – vaccinated and unvaccinated – no longer need to take the pre-departure test, but requirements after entry vary depending on the scheme. To make travel a bit more convenient and entice more people to visit Thailand, the government’s Covid task force decided to scrap the requirement for a pre-departure test taken within 72 hours before take-off. The revised entry requirements were published in the Royal Gazette yesterday, making […]

The story No pre-departure PCR test for travellers entering Thailand starting tomorrow as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Still cost me 8000 baht extra to visit with insurance, hotel etc. That's a deterrent. Especially for families. 

And a lot of beers for single guys. 

And I'm still going to do a PCR anyway just so I know that I'm not positive before I fly to avoid lockup on arrival.  

• Like 11

4 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Still cost me 8000 baht extra to visit with insurance, hotel etc. That's a deterrent. Especially for families. 

And a lot of beers for single guys. 

And I'm still going to do a PCR anyway just so I know that I'm not positive before I fly to avoid lockup on arrival.  

Of all the measures to get rid of, the predeparture test was probably the least helpful to tourists.  As you noted, a lot of people will still take the test to be sure they’re not going to test positive in Thailand for a lovely expensive stay at a crappy “hosptiel”

Meanwhile the government just confirmed the infection rate on arrival is about 0.6% for the whole month. This huge added cost to catch 0.6% infection is ludicrous. Get rid of Thai Pass and arrival testing NOW!

Also by announcing the inbound infection rate, the government just revealed total entries must be around 6,000-8,000 per day (given 25-30 positives per day). That’s on track for an annual 2-3,000,000 entries and of course that includes Thai re-entering. 

Without a major change, Thai economy will probably contract this year. 

• Like 12

No pre-departure PCR test for travellers entering Thailand starting tomorrow

"Huge increase in forced quarantine for travellers entering Thailand starting tomorrow"

• Like 7

Imagine coming here without the pre-departure PCR test and the Immigration people says - "April Fools! Hand over the pre-departure PCR test now!"

• Haha 3

23 minutes ago, JJJ said:

Of all the measures to get rid of, the predeparture test was probably the least helpful to tourists.  As you noted, a lot of people will still take the test to be sure they’re not going to test positive in Thailand for a lovely expensive stay at a crappy “hosptiel”

Meanwhile the government just confirmed the infection rate on arrival is about 0.6% for the whole month. This huge added cost to catch 0.6% infection is ludicrous. Get rid of Thai Pass and arrival testing NOW!

Also by announcing the inbound infection rate, the government just revealed total entries must be around 6,000-8,000 per day (given 25-30 positives per day). That’s on track for an annual 2-3,000,000 entries and of course that includes Thai re-entering. 

Think they had 61 positive arrivals from their total of 27k in the country today. About 0.25% of the total. 

It's ludicrous. 

I'm only doing it to see family, can't see why anyone else would bother really. 

• Like 4

Just now, Noble_Design said:

Imagine coming here without the pre-departure PCR test and the Immigration people says - "April Fools! Hand over the pre-departure PCR test now!"

It almost feels like April Fools every day here, with their nutty rules, flip flops and u turns.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, DoUKnowWhoIAm said:

It almost feels like April Fools every day here, with their nutty rules, flip flops and u turns.

Why "almost"? Literally!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Got my Thai Pass ( which took only 6 hours ) now and the email from thai airways clearly states PCR Test needed pre-flight. 

Does this rule count for me too? Or just for thai passes issued after April 1st Just curious

And will the Airline in Frankfurt will let me on the plane without test ?

start to think better make PCR before flying just to be sure not arrive positive in thailand and tell my covid quarantine insurance the time has come , send 80000 baht to Thailand please.

it’s just 50 Euros , good investment i think. 

Edited by PfizerModernaJohnson
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PfizerModernaJohnson said:

Got my Thai Pass ( which took only 6 hours ) now and the email from thai airways clearly states PCR Test needed pre-flight. 

Does this rule count for me too? Or just for thai passes issued after April 1st Just curious

start to think better make PCR before flying just to be sure not arrive positive in thailand and tell my covid quarantine insurance the time has come , send 80000 baht to Thailand please.

I agree it’s a good investment. First of all it removes any doubt in your mind if you need one. Secondly, you know before you get in the plane that you are clear. You don’t want to be discovering you have asymptomatic Covid when you arrive in Thailand and have the PCR test.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PfizerModernaJohnson said:

Beat ya! Got mine in 4.

23 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Why? 

Less BS is great news for me. Go ahead and take your pcr test if you want. Mask up if you want. I'm sure the boosters and other stuff will protect any lapse's in judgement. For me, less mickey mouse and money spent on ridiculousness is a good thing.

1 minute ago, cake said:

Less BS is great news for me. Go ahead and take your pcr test if you want. Mask up if you want. I'm sure the boosters and other stuff will protect any lapse's in judgement. For me, less mickey mouse and money spent on ridiculousness is a good thing.

So not worried you may test positive on arrival then? The cost of that would make a preflight Covid test pale in to insignificance. And in terms of BS, a Covid test is nothing compared to what level of BS you would be subjected to during the 10 days in hospital. 

Good luck mate, but as long as they are testing on arrival, I’m testing before I leave my home country. 

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, Soidog said:

So not worried you may test positive on arrival then? The cost of that would make a preflight Covid test pale in to insignificance. And in terms of BS, a Covid test is nothing compared to what level of BS you would be subjected to during the 10 days in hospital. 

Good luck mate, but as long as they are testing on arrival, I’m testing before I leave my home country. 

Thx, just took covid test yesterday, as I posted at another forum, if you renew Thai passports for your children in Ubon a Covid test is required or proof of some shots. So my party was 5 people total, with blue tape in parts of my village. Did I care, nope. If I test positive oh well. Don't test , don't know life, continues on. The whole thing is a Joke and Thailand IMO is about to move on. The NWO seems to have failed. If anybody wants to know where to go to get same day results (1HR) in Ubon for under 1000 baht msg. me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don't be excited...the catch is post arrival test and 5th Day ATK. Unless they totally scrap all the Post arrival test nothing is fool proof...just keep the fingers crossed and pray to all the Gods on earth that you won't be tested positive in the post arrival test and 5th day test

Edited by Ramanathan.P
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JJJ said:

What is the huge added cost?

I paid 5k baht

In normal times......

The hotel would normally be 2500

Private limo would be 1000

Breakfast/Dinner would be 1000

So I am not paying much more for what I am getting 

They will change to an ATK test on arrival in May and they will scrap all restrictions in July, maybe June.

So it‘s not about yes or no, it‘s about one or two months sooner or not. 

4 hours ago, PfizerModernaJohnson said:

Watch out. Don't trust Thai International in Frankfurt. They are more than strict.
Good news is that in the worst case you can get a PCR-test in just over 1 hour... it cost 250 Euro.

6 hours ago, Noble_Design said:

Ah but it's OK, some airlines still need the test before flight so you'll have all the paperwork required. 555

2 hours ago, cake said:

Thx, just took covid test yesterday, as I posted at another forum, if you renew Thai passports for your children in Ubon a Covid test is required or proof of some shots. So my party was 5 people total, with blue tape in parts of my village. Did I care, nope. If I test positive oh well. Don't test , don't know life, continues on. The whole thing is a Joke and Thailand IMO is about to move on. The NWO seems to have failed. If anybody wants to know where to go to get same day results (1HR) in Ubon for under 1000 baht msg. me.

Yeah, but the difference is that you're in Thailand already. You can self isolate at home if you're positive. 

2 hours ago, Marc26 said:

What is the huge added cost?

I paid 5k baht

In normal times......

The hotel would normally be 2500

Private limo would be 1000

Breakfast/Dinner would be 1000

So I am not paying much more for what I am getting 

For me added cost of hotel and insurance came to 8k. Not a big deal for me, but still money I wouldn't have spent otherwise. For a family of 4 that's $1000 extra on a holiday. It's a big deterrent for visitors. And as has been said already, run the risk of a positive on arrival. 

Why take the risk. Just go somewhere else where it's not needed. 

• Like 1