News Forum - Foreign man’s gold necklace stolen while filming video in Bangkok’s Asoke

Thaiger

A western man’s gold necklace was stolen as he was taking a video of himself walking in Bangkok’s Asoke area off Sukhumvit Road. As he was walking by the BTS station at night, a person who appeared to be a transgender woman approached him, wrapping her arms around his neck in a hug and unclasping the necklace. The foreigner didn’t notice and she walked off with the necklace. A video has been circulating on social media with the caption “Sukhumvit road. Gold chain rip off. Be careful of the ladyboy gangsters.” The man says a transgender woman was standing on […]

The story Foreign man’s gold necklace stolen while filming video in Bangkok’s Asoke as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Haha 1

Well suprise suprise suprise. Not! They are notorious to jumping out at you near those skytrain stations and are definitely good with their hands, uh hem- when stealing stuff.

This guy also got his telephone stolen on Khao San road. What a green horn rookie.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Well suprise suprise suprise. Not! They are notorious to jumping out at you near those skytrain stations and are definitely good with their hands, uh hem- when stealing stuff.

This guy also got his telephone stolen on Khao San road. What a green horn rookie.

I was walking down soi 4? in Pattaya, when a gaggle of lady boys came running over and swarmed me, hands everywhere.   Not being a green horn rookie, myself, I jammed my hands deep into both front pockets and kept them firmly there while pushing forward.   I never carry anything in my back pockets.  The only thing this guy hasn't had stolen is his dignity, but he just gave robbed himself off that by making the news.

Edited by TorontoJeff
  • Like 1

quite lucky !

if you are stupid enough walking around like a jewellery store with your phone hanging out of your back pockets ....there are a couple of places on this world you ld easily get killed for

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, TorontoJeff said:

I was walking down soi 4? in Pattaya, when a gaggle of lady boys came running over and swarmed me, hands everywhere.   Not being a green horn rookie, myself, I jammed my hands deep into both front pockets and kept them firmly there while pushing forward.   I never carry anything in my back pockets.  The only thing this guy hasn't had stolen is his dignity, but he just gave robbed himself off that by making the news.

Well that is one way to handle it. But at least you were active on defense. I am not sure what I would do with a gaggle coming at me, but I know I would not freeze and be preyed upon as I am never that way. I normally will see it coming before it starts, so I deal with every circumstance as it is it comes about. In Bangkok I have had them try to do this to me, but you know how to react before they lunge and go for the kill. Even around these skytrain stops there are little thugs that pop out (not lady boys) and I even have thwarted a charge by one of them onetime. For me I keep my wallet in my back pocket turned sideways, but and my phone on myside. I don't wear a watch or any jewelry as not my thing.

Anyway, looks like things are a little bit more covid 19 starving unhinged on the glorious streets in BKK and Pattaya.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Well that is one way to handle it. But at least you were active on defense. I am not sure what I would do with a gaggle coming at me, but I know I would not freeze and be preyed upon as I am never that way. I normally will see it coming before it starts, so I deal with every circumstance as it is it comes about. In Bangkok I have had them try to do this to me, but you know how to react before they lunge and go for the kill. Even around these skytrain stops there are little thugs that pop out (not lady boys) and I even have thwarted a charge by one of them onetime. For me I keep my wallet in my back pocket turned sideways, but and my phone on myside. I don't wear a watch or any jewelry as not my thing.

Anyway, looks like things are a little bit more covid 19 starving unhinged on the glorious streets in BKK and Pattaya.

Is you ex SAS?

12 yrs in LOS and consider myself street smart I enjoy trolling thai scammers out n about

Id consider going to hardware shop and buying some small link chain and gold spray paint

Id be even MORE hansum with a fake gold chain around my neck!   free hugs!!!

maybe a mouse trap down the front of my shorts as well...(carefully)

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, PapayaBokBok said:

12 yrs in LOS and consider myself street smart I enjoy trolling thai scammers out n about

Id consider going to hardware shop and buying some small link chain and gold spray paint

Id be even MORE hansum with a fake gold chain around my neck!   free hugs!!!

maybe a mouse trap down the front of my shorts as well...(carefully)

And I would love to see it with your getaway vehicle right by you when they realize they been duped on. That’s sort of slapstick. Maybe you could dress a bit like Charley Chaplin. Now that would be fun. 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Thaiger said:

A western man’s gold necklace was stolen as he was taking a video of himself walking in Bangkok’s Asoke area off Sukhumvit Road. As he was walking by the BTS station at night, a person who appeared to be a transgender woman approached him, wrapping her arms around his neck in a hug and unclasping the necklace. The foreigner didn’t notice and she walked off with the necklace. A video has been circulating on social media with the caption “Sukhumvit road. Gold chain rip off. Be careful of the ladyboy gangsters.” The man says a transgender woman was standing on […]

The story Foreign man’s gold necklace stolen while filming video in Bangkok’s Asoke as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

He is a loser. Loose both gold chain and phone

• Like 1

On 3/31/2022 at 11:03 PM, HolyCowCm said:

And I would love to see it with your getaway vehicle right by you when they realize they been duped on. That’s sort of slapstick. Maybe you could dress a bit like Charley Chaplin. Now that would be fun. 

indeed! I saw our little friend on loy kroh hours ago black helmet tilted on her head...she totally ignored me as I flipped the script on her as i dished out the cat calls she used to serve me...

On 3/30/2022 at 9:59 PM, HolyCowCm said:

It happened to me on Soi 24 Sukhumvit

This is not a bat area either 

I was going to 7-11 from my hotel late at night

Only grabbed 1k baht note 

I was walking up the street and there were 3 ugly ladybugs

They approached me, I knew the deal

But one reached for my nuts, so I instinctively went to protect them

Then they took me money

I was fcukikg pissed

The cops came

They had a massive binder of mugshots of ladybugs that they "know"

Amazing. I have read these stories since I was a kid. I have never had the experience, nor have any of my friends in the past 20+ years.  The  street ladyboys don't even come near us.  Perhaps there are some characteristics that attract these hooligans?

1 hour ago, Vigo said:

Amazing. I have read these stories since I was a kid. I have never had the experience, nor have any of my friends in the past 20+ years.  The  street ladyboys don't even come near us.  Perhaps there are some characteristics that attract these hooligans?

They probably look at you and think you are one of those cheap miserable expats, so not worth it

As you said, they can pick out characteristics  😀

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Vigo said:

I have had a couple of pickpocketing attempts by ladyboys around the lower Sukhumvit area, my guess is that I was targeted because I have a dodgy knee that can make it look like I have had one too many even when I am stone cold sober.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2022 at 9:42 PM, Thaiger said:

Read the full story

Most likely wearing his gold necklace on the outside of his shirt in classic "look at my gold necklace" dbag style. Well sir, you got attention. Well done.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, PapayaBokBok said:

indeed! I saw our little friend on loy kroh hours ago black helmet tilted on her head...she totally ignored me as I flipped the script on her as i dished out the cat calls she used to serve me...

I really think it is the crazy gal who used to visit the old stadium. Kind of gave me the willies. But that gal had money and also exercised. If not then maybe she has a twin sister.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Marc26 said:

It happened to me on Soi 24 Sukhumvit

This is not a bat area either 

I was going to 7-11 from my hotel late at night

Only grabbed 1k baht note 

I was walking up the street and there were 3 ugly ladybugs

They approached me, I knew the deal

But one reached for my nuts, so I instinctively went to protect them

Then they took me money

I was fcukikg pissed

The cops came

They had a massive binder of mugshots of ladybugs that they "know"

They also used to work Washington Square. That is the one and place and only time I got nabbed but it is sort of my fault. Tanked to god almighty's four sheets to the wind and 2 of them sandwiched me and got my phone. But this is well over 20 some years ago. Learned my lesson on that one and they never are able to get near me.

You have to be incredibly naïve to walk anywhere in Thailand wearing gold, bar maybe a ring, even then you need to check the number of fingers you have left  if you shake hands.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pinetree said:

You have to be incredibly naïve to walk anywhere in Thailand wearing gold, bar maybe a ring, even then you need to check the number of fingers you have left  if you shake hands.  

Is this really what you think about Thailand???

So for the people who read this but do not know Thailand much, and to balance this comment's extreme view, my opinion is that you are FAR MUCH safer walking around ANYWHERE in Thailand wearing gold than you would be in any western country I lived and been to (that's quite a few!!!), including (especially!) my own, France.

1 hour ago, Manu said:

Is this really what you think about Thailand???

Its not what I think, its what I know. If you believe what you have written then good luck to you,  walking around this country with gold hanging off you, you will need it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pinetree said:

Its not what I think, its what I know. If you believe what you have written then good luck to you,  walking around this country with gold hanging off you, you will need it. 

Interesting but just not what I personally live (and know then) every day here. Where did it go wrong for you and not for me? Genuinely interesting to know…

6 hours ago, Pinetree said:

I agree with @Manu

I never felt that, even after getting pickpocketed by the ladyboys

With the exception of the RLD areas where we know LB's are pickpockets 

I never felt like Thailand is a place I need to be extra careful with my valuables from robbery and pickpockets 

• Like 1