News Forum - Neighborhood Guide: Asoke, Bangkok

Thaiger

Bangkok can be a challenging city to explore due to its wide variety of streets and neighbourhoods. One of the busiest and most dynamic areas is Asoke. There are many words to describe Asoke. Some label it as a prime hangout spot, while others call it the central business district. Either way, it’s central location in the heart of Bangkok at the crossroads of the BTS and MRT metro lines makes it one of the most city’s popular meeting spots. In this article, I’ll go over the basics of what you should know before you decide whether to live here. […]

The story Neighborhood Guide: Asoke, Bangkok as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

An unusual terrible mess of a good and what should have been an informative article however, it has grammatical errors and clearly has not been proof read. Notwithstanding that, the last paragraph appears to be a personal opinion, so should be taken with a pinch of salt. 

I wouldn’t normally post, but I have actually written to the Thaiger about this matter in the past and failed to receive a response from either Caitlin at least 3 times) and Tim copied into most of those e-mails. 

Brian

22 minutes ago, Brian5555 said:

Brian

Take it easy, this is an English speaking forum patronised by many english speaking nationalities, from  many walks of life, a lot are retirees having a chat about life, expressing an opinion (some good, some bad) but try not to get pedantic about grammar etc. otherwise we would need an English (Queens) version, East End, Northern Counties, Welsh, Yank, Irish, Scottish, Australian, NZ and then throw in the second language countries.

Essentially it is base communication and some articles are filed not so perfect (some translate that way from Thai too) but we get the message of the article.

Yes, my ex would have read that last paragraph and said "sin city" and harrumphed and said we are not going there "the man said it is not recommended for families" ----until she discovered there is a big Shopping Mall there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Brian5555 said:

An unusual terrible mess of a good and what should have been an informative article however, it has grammatical errors and clearly has not been proof read. Notwithstanding that, the last paragraph appears to be a personal opinion, so should be taken with a pinch of salt. 

I wouldn’t normally post, but I have actually written to the Thaiger about this matter in the past and failed to receive a response from either Caitlin at least 3 times) and Tim copied into most of those e-mails. 

Brian

You are getting worked up over a neighborhood guide piece?

REALLY??

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

You are getting worked up over a neighborhood guide piece?

REALLY??

Lots of people do, it's very amusing. Particularly when they completely miss the point. 😀

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, palooka said:

Take it easy, this is an English speaking forum patronised by many english speaking nationalities, from  many walks of life, a lot are retirees having a chat about life, expressing an opinion (some good, some bad) but try not to get pedantic about grammar etc. otherwise we would need an English (Queens) version, East End, Northern Counties, Welsh, Yank, Irish, Scottish, Australian, NZ and then throw in the second language countries.

Essentially it is base communication and some articles are filed not so perfect (some translate that way from Thai too) but we get the message of the article.

Yes, my ex would have read that last paragraph and said "sin city" and harrumphed and said we are not going there "the man said it is not recommended for families" ----until she discovered there is a big Shopping Mall there.

I always use the same rule regarding spelling, grammar and syntax. 

Was the post understandable. If it was (even reading between the lines) then none of the above matters.

Language is always an evolving thing. Shakespeare would be hammered by the grammar police on here.  😁

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

Just looked at "The Lakes" Condominium across from Benjakitti Park.  Looks pretty good and then its near to Terminal 21 as well....View is good as well.  Might buy a unit in their for my Oldest Daughter.....

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Just looked at "The Lakes" Condominium across from Benjakitti Park.  Looks pretty good and then its near to Terminal 21 as well....View is good as well.  Might buy a unit in their for my Oldest Daughter.....

Agree, looks nice. The road is really noisy, but on a high floor youll probably not be disturbed at all.

• Like 1

The area has changed over the last 20 years. Most of the 'low end' has gone taken over by condos and other real estate developments. A large chunk of vibrancy has gone making the area just another neighbourhood (apart from the two exceptions noted).