News Forum - Will Smith slaps Chris Rock at Academy Awards… but WHY!? (full acceptance speech)

Thaiger

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

It was a comedian making a bad joke

Well, Will Smith better stay away from YouTube …. Because I bet Jimmy Carr and Frankie Boyle will have even worse jokes about this. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, SkyDogJack said:

Hi HolyCowCM,

We watched the Oscar's live last night here in Austin.  Here in the USA, especially in light of the pandemic, politics and the constant world issues, I suspect most everyone is suffering from some sort of stress or increased tension.  Just look at our crime rate.  Way too high.  Add inflation, and people are showing real emotions signs of psychological disorders.

I suspect there was more going on with Smith than we know, and that joke probably was the straw that broke the "camel's back".  While I don't condone violence, I do kind of get it.  I think when you see Smith seeing his wife's reaction to Rock's joke (upset), that was all it took.  I'm very protective of my wife and family, so I understand the emotion, just trying to understand the loss of control.

Rock and Smith are both lucky he only slapped him.  Smith is a big man and a punch would have been a lot worse.  The LAPD probably would have needed to open an investigation into the assault, even if Rock declined to press charges.  Here in Texas, an assault is an assault.  A criminal charge would have been required under our Penal Code and Code of Criminal Procedure. Rock could have refused to cooperate, and the charges dropped, but it would not be an attitude of "letting it go".

One thing is for certain, the second time Smith yelled from his seat to Rock about keeping his mouth shut, I think Rock got it.  Smith was close to rage.  Not a good thing for anyone.  Maybe in a setting like the Oscar's, personal jokes about others in the audience need a better analysis?  Just a thought.

Yes. Line Crossed using an affliction to try get laughs ….made worse when referring to a specific person … who’s in the room ….that’s three strikes and OUT ( came Smith’s justified Slap). 

Extreme Bad Taste “Joke”. 

Smiths Options in heat of the moment? Leave / Call Out / Slap. 

Ricky Gervais in similar role insulted people …..but never sick people.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, SkyDogJack said:

Hi HolyCowCM,

We watched the Oscar's live last night here in Austin.  Here in the USA, especially in light of the pandemic, politics and the constant world issues, I suspect most everyone is suffering from some sort of stress or increased tension.  Just look at our crime rate.  Way too high.  Add inflation, and people are showing real emotions signs of psychological disorders.

I suspect there was more going on with Smith than we know, and that joke probably was the straw that broke the "camel's back".  While I don't condone violence, I do kind of get it.  I think when you see Smith seeing his wife's reaction to Rock's joke (upset), that was all it took.  I'm very protective of my wife and family, so I understand the emotion, just trying to understand the loss of control.

Rock and Smith are both lucky he only slapped him.  Smith is a big man and a punch would have been a lot worse.  The LAPD probably would have needed to open an investigation into the assault, even if Rock declined to press charges.  Here in Texas, an assault is an assault.  A criminal charge would have been required under our Penal Code and Code of Criminal Procedure. Rock could have refused to cooperate, and the charges dropped, but it would not be an attitude of "letting it go".

One thing is for certain, the second time Smith yelled from his seat to Rock about keeping his mouth shut, I think Rock got it.  Smith was close to rage.  Not a good thing for anyone.  Maybe in a setting like the Oscar's, personal jokes about others in the audience need a better analysis?  Just a thought.

Oh yeah, good old Texas, he'd have got his concealed carry out and shot him, probably the norm in Texas.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SkyDogJack said:

Hi HolyCowCM,

Hi SkyDogJack, Yeah, stress is everywhere and even here. Not sure now but a punch used to be definitely assault but for an open hand slap I could not tell you, but if the Rock was a woman or a person in some identifying group then I would say yes for sure. And the other thing this is between two black gents, so no telling again. I do think he does have a loose handle history, and yes probably seeing his wife’s face (even though an odd relationship), it was enough to put him in orbit. Being the butt of a fun joke is not so bad, but with an illness that makes you subconscious is too much. Although it’s hard to think of this family with any identifiable subconscious or remorseful traits they are so off the beaten normality path of reality. Anyway, on this one I do understand him but will be interesting to see what comes out of it legally. He gets assault, and then files an emotional hardship lawsuit as it was telecast to the world? Stay well and sane in your neck of the world. Cheers! 

• Thanks 1

I think the bigger issue is what this does for all the stand up comedians around the world. Next time someone in the audience doesn’t like what’s being said, they will do a Will Smith on them. Smith should have been more professional. Be interesting if any charges are brought by either Rock or the Cops. Assault is never justified unless it’s in self defence. 

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, steve860 said:

Oh yeah, good old Texas, he'd have got his concealed carry out and shot him, probably the norm in Texas.  

What a stupid comment. Off topic for one thing and completely wrong. Texas is bang average for firearm mortality (24th per capita in the USA in 2020). 

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/sosmap/firearm_mortality/firearm.htm

You should apologise to @SkyDogJack

To other members,

Please disregard the comment this post is replying to and thank you for staying on topic.

Regards,

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I think the bigger issue is what this does for all the stand up comedians around the world. Next time someone in the audience doesn’t like what’s being said, they will do a Will Smith on them. Smith should have been more professional. Be interesting if any charges are brought by either Rock or the Cops. Assault is never justified unless it’s in self defence. 

That’s almost comical right there. Maybe it will become a new thing to say I gave him the Will Smith. The slap also didn’t seem to physically faze CR though. The aftermath of tomorrow or today in the USA might faze both of them. Interesting to read the news in the morning. 

1 minute ago, HolyCowCm said:

That’s almost comical right there. Maybe it will become a new thing to say I gave him the Will Smith. The slap also didn’t seem to physically faze CR though. The aftermath of tomorrow or today in the USA might faze both of them. Interesting to read the news in the morning. 

Well it will be interesting to see what comes next. Some people on Twitter trying to say it was ok because there is no one more persecuted than a black woman. This was a black man taking the piss out of a black woman and was assaulted by a Black man. And yet black people are still shoehorning in the race card. Simply amazing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Well it will be interesting to see what comes next. Some people on Twitter trying to say it was ok because there is no one more persecuted than a black woman. This was a black man taking the piss out of a black woman and was assaulted by a Black man. And yet black people are still shoehorning in the race card. Simply amazing. 

I’ll check back into it tomorrow. Gonna check out now as have things to do in morning. 

10 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Yes there is a familiarity in what you say ! Smith Assaulted  rock! Its a felonious act but it seems judging by social media opinions smith is getting away with it! Imop

• Like 1

Social media also questioned whether it was real and not a publicity stunt. Real, but as streaming NCAA tourney, meh. 

19 minutes ago, Mudshark said:

Social media also questioned whether it was real and not a publicity stunt. Real, but as streaming NCAA tourney, meh. 

It was clearly staged but they were shocked that people thought it was real and that has forced them to run with it like it was genuine. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Tim_Melb said:

It was clearly staged but they were shocked that people thought it was real and that has forced them to run with it like it was genuine. 

Yes I’m still not convinced it was real. People are pointing to the emotional speech Will Smith gave as evidence of how strongly he felt. Will Smith is a Hollywood A-list actor. Turning on the tears is something he can do on command. I don’t know Will Smiths political views, but if he’s against the direction of travel of the California Liberals, then it could well have been a stunt to embarrass them. If not, then I’m afraid he’s embarrassed himself. 

UPDATE:  just read that Will Smith has publicly apologised to Chris Rock. This would seem to suggest it was a real incident and damage limitation is starting. Well done Will Smith for apologising 👍🏻

8 hours ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

Maybe he was lucky it wasn’t Ricky Gervais fronting the Oscar’s, he definitely didn’t hold back when hosting the Golden Globes. 

You took my comment away. And you are right, if it had been Ricky, the whole bunch of those narcisisstic twits would have been insulted.

Ans as far as Will Smith is concerned, he couldn't act his way out of a paper bag

• Like 3

Can you imagine if a white man had done the slapping? Riots in the streets, worldwide condemnation, police involved etc etc. just saying what a hypocritical world we live in.

• Like 3

1) Having MC'd and announced literally hundreds of fights in the past 2 decades, I've seen literally hundreds of punches, slaps, kicks, elbows, etc. I know a few things, and one of those things is that Chris Rock knew the "slap" was coming, and he rolled his face before it was going to connect, and it didn't connect. I also happen to know that when someone is being attacked, they raise their hands instinctively and try to block or fend off the attack. This isn't my opinion, this is well-researched and well-documented study of human behaviour. Chris Rock knew the slap was coming.

2) Nobody watched the Oscars. By nobody I mean the numbers are extremely low for such a high-budget production, and the numbers have been low for years and years. Suddenly, something happens, and everyone is talking about the Oscars. Were it not for Will Smith's staged assault of Chris Rock, would ANYONE have given a shit about the Oscars? No. At least as far as increasing viewers would go. Nobody gives a shit about the Oscars, something dramatic happens at the Oscars, now everyone gives a shit about the Oscars. Seems like a well-calculated PR move.

3) The fact that Will Smith wasn't stopped, slowed, asked "what's up?", or otherwise deterred from the staged attack on Chris Rock, with million dollar security detail on deck at all times, leads me to believe the producers let everyone know what was going to happen.

4) Mainstream western media has been completely saturated with news about Biden's failures, Trudeau's failures, Ukraine being under seige, confirmation of previously "debunked" conspiracy theories, inflation, etc. Would this NOT be a perfect opportunity to create a distraction from REAL issues so that the average person is talking about two B-list actors fake beefing over a cheating narcissist wife, while there are significantly more important things in the news to be talking about?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ThaiFoodGuy said:

4) Mainstream western media has been completely saturated with news about Biden's failures, Trudeau's failures, Ukraine being under seige, confirmation of previously "debunked" conspiracy theories, inflation, etc. Would this NOT be a perfect opportunity to create a distraction from REAL issues so that the average person is talking about two B-list actors fake beefing over a cheating narcissist wife, while there are significantly more important things in the news to be talking about?

You peole are off your rockers 

Turn off Fox and OAN

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, ThaiFoodGuy said:

1) Having MC'd and announced literally hundreds of fights in the past 2 decades, I've seen literally hundreds of punches, slaps, kicks, elbows, etc. I know a few things, and one of those things is that Chris Rock knew the "slap" was coming, and he rolled his face before it was going to connect, and it didn't connect. I also happen to know that when someone is being attacked, they raise their hands instinctively and try to block or fend off the attack. This isn't my opinion, this is well-researched and well-documented study of human behaviour. Chris Rock knew the slap was coming.

2) Nobody watched the Oscars. By nobody I mean the numbers are extremely low for such a high-budget production, and the numbers have been low for years and years. Suddenly, something happens, and everyone is talking about the Oscars. Were it not for Will Smith's staged assault of Chris Rock, would ANYONE have given a shit about the Oscars? No. At least as far as increasing viewers would go. Nobody gives a shit about the Oscars, something dramatic happens at the Oscars, now everyone gives a shit about the Oscars. Seems like a well-calculated PR move.

3) The fact that Will Smith wasn't stopped, slowed, asked "what's up?", or otherwise deterred from the staged attack on Chris Rock, with million dollar security detail on deck at all times, leads me to believe the producers let everyone know what was going to happen.

Nice conspiracy theory but nah. Rock knew something was happening because he had a large angry man bearing down on him halfway through his act. Smith didn’t say anything so Rock could only react when Smith swung. And Smith’s 2 x f-bomb outbursts after would not have been Oscar approved. And why the fake apology that night but not apology to Chris Rock. He’s licking Rock bottom today. This was not a staged wardrobe malfunction, it was a brain snap. Next year The Rock, Dwayne Johnson, should host it and double down with some “Jada is the real slapper” jokes.

Edited by Fanta

12 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

You peole are off your rockers 

Can you please point out where the lies are? So I can correct myself?

4 minutes ago, Fanta said:

Nice conspiracy theory

It's weird that you say it's a conspiracy theory and then swan dive into a series of conspiracy theories.

Thread has been locked due to a members continued posting against Moderator instruction, misleading posts in relation to same, plus posting of an offensive meme - Alex is now enjoying a holiday and the thread remains locked to avoid further infractions. 

Members are referred to the FG's and other rules posted above the News section.

• Haha 1