News Forum - Foreigner in Pattaya bleeding after alleged altercation with security

Thaiger

5 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

That's exactly what I did (well that's what I always do anyways 5555)

I was on Bangla Rd after the club clubs closed

I was waiting for BBQ and a really drunk Thai girl kept hitting on me

I was very nice in saying "no"

But she got pissed and tried to hit me with a big beer bottle 

I sort of hugged her and put her on the ground as easy as I could

But then of course then all the Thai guys came and starter to circle me

But I just went nuts and they backed off

Then police came and most of the Thais that actually saw what happened told them the girl was the aggressor 

Yes, if you can convince them you are as crazy as they are, they may back off. Sounds like it was your fault for being such a Hansum man 😉

12 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

That's exactly what I did (well that's what I always do anyways 5555)

I was on Bangla Rd after the club clubs closed

I was waiting for BBQ and a really drunk Thai girl kept hitting on me

I was very nice in saying "no"

But she got pissed and tried to hit me with a big beer bottle 

I sort of hugged her and put her on the ground as easy as I could

But then of course then all the Thai guys came and starter to circle me

But I just went nuts and they backed off

Then police came and most of the Thais that actually saw what happened told them the girl was the aggressor 

Well the point of my previous post altogether. My friend, you choose to live your life on Bangla road then deal with it. Bangla road is not Thailand. Choose another place to drink and have a bbq and you will see, it will be fine.

6 minutes ago, Manu said:

Your comment gives the impression that it is like that all over Thailand and that all Thais are like that. It definitely would scare some people that have never been to Thailand. Not good. This is definitely not the Thailand I personally know.

I take your wider point Manu and you are right, if you go to such hedonistic places, then at some point you will come across low life as you would in any major city or tourist location. As for the suggestion that this would not occur in other parts of Thailand, I’m afraid my many years in Thailand would say it’s not true. I have seen such thuggery in many cities, towns and even villages in Thailand. Thais are heavy drinkers and heavy drug users. 

The fact is, such incidents can happen anywhere and in any country. My biggest concern with Thais is that having flipped, they literally know no limits. What would turn out to be a few punches thrown in London, before others jump in and calm you both down, will lead to a total life threatening beating or being stabbed or even shot in Thailand. If you find yourself  in such a situation you should attempt to exit the scene or convince your attacker that you are more crazy than they are. Trying to reason once they have flipped is just a missed opportunity. 

8 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I take your wider point Manu and you are right, if you go to such hedonistic places, then at some point you will come across low life as you would in any major city or tourist location. As for the suggestion that this would not occur in other parts of Thailand, I’m afraid my many years in Thailand would say it’s not true. I have seen such thuggery in many cities, towns and even villages in Thailand. Thais are heavy drinkers and heavy drug users. 

The fact is, such incidents can happen anywhere and in any country. My biggest concern with Thais is that having flipped, they literally know no limits. What would turn out to be a few punches thrown in London, before others jump in and calm you both down, will lead to a total life threatening beating or being stabbed or even shot in Thailand. If you find yourself  in such a situation you should attempt to exit the scene or convince your attacker that you are more crazy than they are. Trying to reason once they have flipped is just a missed opportunity. 

Well in some places in London, stabbing seems to be fashionable. Have you ever been to Croydon for example? In some places in the suburb of Paris, you would not last 2 minutes before something bad happens to you, at the very best with empty pockets (I am not joking, even the police do not go there), much safer on Bangla road than these places believe me athough this is where you find the criminals, drug addicts, prostitutes in both countries.

You have been living in Thailand longer than I but it is not what I see personally or what I hear from others, it happens but not more nor less than in my own country...I would actually say less. I have had once an altercation with a Thai that was going to turn into a fight, everyone around, 2 farangs and a dozen of Thais jumped into it to calm the situation down...now we all somehow know each other as being a small community. We all ended up having a drink at the end.

Altogether, I definitely feel safer in the worst places in Thailand (sure I have been there too,never had the slightest issue...but maybe it has something to do with how ones behaves himslef in such places) than for example the worst places in Paris.

3 minutes ago, Manu said:

Well in some places in London, stabbing seems to be fashionable. Have you ever been to Croydon for example? In some places in the suburb of Paris, you would not last 2 minutes before something bad happens to you, at the very best with empty pockets (I am not joking, even the police do not go there), much safer on Bangla road than these places believe me athough this is where you find the criminals, drug addicts, prostitutes in both countries.

You have been living in Thailand longer than I but it is not what I see personally or what I hear from others, it happens but not more nor less than in my own country...I would actually say less. I have had once an altercation with a Thai that was going to turn into a fight, everyone around, 2 farangs and a dozen of Thais jumped into it to calm the situation down...now we all somehow know each other as being a small community. We all ended up having a drink at the end.

Altogether, I definitely feel safer in the worst places in Thailand (sure I have been there too,never had the slightest issue...but maybe it has something to do with how ones behaves himslef in such places) than for example the worst places in Paris.

Yes I agree with the comments about inner city areas of London and Paris. But these are essentially cultural Gulags where you risk death just for being there. However, we are talking about “Tourist” areas. I don’t feel threatened when I’m in Torquay or even Blackpool. You can’t compare inner city problems in Europe which have far more social and economic issues to what is supposed to be a safe and tourist friendly area such as Patong. 

As I say, I’m not making a case to say Thailand is any more or less dangerous than many other countries. But I do feel that while you may get in to a problem while having a beer in a pub in sunny Devon on holiday, you are not likely to find yourself surrounded by 4 locals about to give you a near death beating, while another dozen look on and do nothing to help. Oddly enough, if you are a foreigner in an England tourist area you are even less likely to get in to a problem than a local. 

1 hour ago, Manu said:

Well the point of my previous post altogether. My friend, you choose to live your life on Bangla road then deal with it. Bangla road is not Thailand. Choose another place to drink and have a bbq and you will see, it will be fine.

But how is that relevant?

These incidents mainly take place in tourist areas

By the way, it isn't all gumdrops and lollipops at local Thai discos either!  :)

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

Yes, if you can convince them you are as crazy as they are, they may back off. Sounds like it was your fault for being such a Hansum man 😉

The state the girl was , I could have looked like Shrek!   5555

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Manu said:

Sorry I am going to disagree again.

Firstly of the 3 links you provided, 1 is dated back to 2015, the other 2018. That's hardly "a weekly occurance"...

Secondly you mention (only) Bangla Road... I went there for the 1st time back in October, although under covid restrictions it was busy as (almost) usual. After 100m into it, I have been stopped many times, being offered all sorts, including different types of drugs and of course, I have been called by pratically all prostitutes aorund that were not already busy. Tourists going there, we all know why: drinks, drugs (for many) and sex. Now what type of Thai people would a place like that attract (or any similar places around the world)? Thughs, hustlers, drug dealers, people involved in prostitution, with the added local bonus, the uniforms supervising all that. And that goes of course also for some places in Pattaya or Soi Cowboy in BBK, etc... And I am sorry, when I was on Bangla road, the only (few) ones I saw behaving erratically were not Thai people. A hugely drunk farang behaving badly amongst a contration of local criminals: what is it to expect??

Going to get hammered in these places, especially for the many that cannot behave in that state, or just simply going there for a few drinks (find other places to drink or face the obvious possible consequences in a place like that), it is really asking for trouble. But guess what, Thailand as all countries around the world have also thugs, drug dealers, people involved in prostitution etc..., and like everywhere, Bangla rd, Pattaya etc... are the places where you are most likely to find them.

Your comment gives the impression that it is like that all over Thailand and that all Thais are like that. It definitely would scare some people that have never been to Thailand. Not good. This is definitely not the Thailand I personally know.

But that is what the story is about

Tourists getting gained up on in tourist areas

What goes on anywhere else is irrelevant 

But I 100% agree with you 

That Thailand, and most of Asia, is extremely safe

All of it can be true 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Marc26 said:

But how is that relevant?

These incidents mainly take place in tourist areas

But that was my point. These incidents do not mainly take place in tourist areas but in an handful ones, of course all linked to prostitution and therefore all vices that it attracts inevitably with it so where logically you can find a huge concentration of local criminals, drunks and drug addicts. Your comment could sound for a novice as if it was everywhere, and it is not the case by far. Never heard something like that happening on Koh Chang for example.

By the way, it isn't all gumdrops and lollipops at local Thai discos either!  :)

But where is all gumdrops and lollipops? Nowhere, it is my other point. For example not in my country since I mentioned it as an example above. Ask the former Argentinian rugby player who got shot at the end of a night out in a bar in the middle of Paris (well you can't, he was killed then)... less than 2 weeks ago. And there are plenty of stories like that with tourists too, stabbing, beating up, in that city... which is by the way the most visited city in the world by tourists so basically is a huge touristic area. I personally grew up in the suburb of another big French city and believe me it was definitely not "all gumdrops and lollipops" at our discos 30 years ago neither (it is far worse now I hear). I spare you the details but let's put it this way, ambulances and police cars visiting these discos was pratically every single time I was out there. I do not dispute that there are troubles too in Thai discos, of course there are. I say, all countries I lived in or visited, it is just all the same, and even far worse than Thailand for some.

Do you see this happening in Thailand (makes the troubles of Bangla Road tourists insignificant)?

https://www.thelocal.fr/20171106/chinese-tourists-tear-gassed-and-robbed-outside-paris/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4681942/US-tourists-tear-gassed-masked-men-Paris.html

https://www.travelmole.com/news/tourists-tear-gassed-and-robbed-by-hooded-gang-outside-paris-hotel/

Even the very rich tourists are not that safe...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/nov/22/qatari-women-robbed-of-43m-valuables-in-paris-motorway-hold-up

Even "celebrity" tourists like Kim Kardashian are not that safe...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-37538453

6 hours ago, Manu said:

But that was my point. These incidents do not mainly take place in tourist areas but in an handful ones, of course all linked to prostitution and therefore all vices that it attracts inevitably with it so where logically you can find a huge concentration of local criminals, drunks and drug addicts. Your comment could sound for a novice as if it was everywhere, and it is not the case by far. Never heard something like that happening on Koh Chang for example.

But where is all gumdrops and lollipops? Nowhere, it is my other point. For example not in my country since I mentioned it as an example above. Ask the former Argentinian rugby player who got shot at the end of a night out in a bar in the middle of Paris (well you can't, he was killed then)... less than 2 weeks ago. And there are plenty of stories like that with tourists too, stabbing, beating up, in that city... which is by the way the most visited city in the world by tourists so basically is a huge touristic area. I personally grew up in the suburb of another big French city and believe me it was definitely not "all gumdrops and lollipops" at our discos 30 years ago neither (it is far worse now I hear). I spare you the details but let's put it this way, ambulances and police cars visiting these discos was pratically every single time I was out there. I do not dispute that there are troubles too in Thai discos, of course there are. I say, all countries I lived in or visited, it is just all the same, and even far worse than Thailand for some.

Do you see this happening in Thailand (makes the troubles of Bangla Road tourists insignificant)?

https://www.thelocal.fr/20171106/chinese-tourists-tear-gassed-and-robbed-outside-paris/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4681942/US-tourists-tear-gassed-masked-men-Paris.html

https://www.travelmole.com/news/tourists-tear-gassed-and-robbed-by-hooded-gang-outside-paris-hotel/

Even the very rich tourists are not that safe...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/nov/22/qatari-women-robbed-of-43m-valuables-in-paris-motorway-hold-up

Even "celebrity" tourists like Kim Kardashian are not that safe...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-37538453

Like I said above, I would categorize Thailand as extremely safe

But there is a lot of occurances of this in tourist areas

On 4/1/2022 at 3:19 PM, Marc26 said:

Like I said above, I would categorize Thailand as extremely safe

But there is a lot of occurances of this in tourist areas

Yes, I am sure you believe / know that like I do. However I disagree with "a lot" and it is only in a couple of small "tourist areas" amongst 100s. If it had been emphasised in your original comment instead of making it sounds as if it is everywhere and all the time (unless it was your intention?), I would not have replied since I personally know what's what. I replied cause, quite surely not with the intention of having another argument with you, if anyone who does not know Thailand had read it, they might have very well got it wrong. That was my point.

• 3 weeks later...

previous post says "It is hard being a foreigner in Thailand."

ah, sweet youth.. when yer old, it won't be quite so hard anymore😊