News Forum - Thailand’s tourism operators despair at another lost Songkran

Thaiger

Following the CCSA’s decision to ban water throwing during this year’s Songkran celebrations, tourism operators have been left despairing – for the third year in a row. Sanga Ruangwattanakul, president of the Khao San Road Business Association, questions how the government can ban water splashing events on one hand, while, on the other hand, say Covid-19 will be endemic by July 1. Sanga’s association plans to submit a petition to the CCSA this week, asking officials to allow water splashing events in public areas of popular tourism destinations. He says doing so would show the world that Thailand is ready […]

The story Thailand’s tourism operators despair at another lost Songkran as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Another example of utter nonsense from tourism operators. So what does this person think would happen if water throwing had been allowed? Do they think 1 million foreigners would suddenly not worry about the Thailand Pass. One day quarantine and PCR on arrival test? A further test on day 5 test. Additional health insurance. Then they would all jump on aircraft and fly to Thailand to splash some water? Local people go home at Songkran. Yes they may spend a little more in Makro and 7/11 buying some beer to drink while stood throwing water. But how does that help. They will still buy the beer but not throw water. It’s  basically utter nonsense to suggest the decision to do away with water throwing is a further hit in the tourist industry. When will these people understand how to fix the problem? What is it they find so so difficult to grasp? 

Thailand reminds me of a shop owner that has locked the shop door and can’t find the key. They then complain there are no customers because the lights in the shop aren’t bright enough. They need to upgrade the shelves to attract more shoppers. They want to spend money on a new check out area as it’s too difficult for customers to pay. They want to have a 10% sale to attract more customers. No, No, No. it’s not that you Dumb Ass. You have no customers because your Ef’in shop door is locked!!

3DD0BD72-9932-4F4F-A30E-853FC4630267.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Cool 1

"Sanga Ruangwattanakul, president of the Khao San Road Business Association, questions how the government can ban water splashing events on one hand, while, on the other hand, say Covid-19 will be endemic by July 1."

There is so much truth to the quote above; I am truly sad for and worried about tourism operators throughout the country as the government simply isn't competent enough to manage this.

I know tourism operators from different parts of Thailand, and they all share one thing in common; they are in deep, deep debt. And, not merely deep, deep debt, they have all (repeat ALL) exhausted every legal means of borrowing through banks and have all (repeat ALL) gone into debt with unscrupulous money lenders. They have all (repeat ALL) mortgaged their businesses, their houses, their vehicles, their children's school fees, their wives, their parents farms, their daughters, etc. etc. etc. with payments scheduled to begin after Songkran.  

Yes, they all (repeat ALL) scheduled everything to become due after Songkran on the logic that they would have cash right after the tourist holidays.

They won't have it.

What's going to happen? A whole lot of people are about to go bankrupt and lose everything, and then there will be economic echoes and reverberations throughout Thai society. Members will recall in the few months before Covid, there was a government push to clean up Non-Performing Loans NPLs). Does anyone think that the NPL issue has improved in the last 2 years? Rich people have been seen to during the Covid crisis. Don't believe me? Care to explain how shopping malls have been able to re-open and tourist huts or bars or markets haven't? The economic effects on the most vulnerable are going to be ugly.

I ask the question, but already know the answer...

Hey Prayut! What are you going to do about it?

(Hint: SFA)

Edited by Shade_Wilder
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

"Sanga Ruangwattanakul, president of the Khao San Road Business Association, questions how the government can ban water splashing events on one hand, while, on the other hand, say Covid-19 will be endemic by July 1."

There is so much truth to the quote above; I am truly sad for and worried about tourism operators throughout the country.

I know tourism operators from different parts of Thailand, and they all share one thing in common; they are in deep, deep debt. And, not merely deep, deep debt, they have all (repeat ALL) exhausted every legal means of borrowing through banks and have all (repeat ALL) gone into debt with unscrupulous money lenders. They have all (repeat ALL) mortgaged their businesses, their houses, their vehicles, their children's school fees, their wives, their parents farms, their daughters, etc. etc. etc. with payments scheduled to begin after Songkran.  

Yes, they all (repeat ALL) scheduled everything to become due after Songkran on the logic that they would have cash right after the tourist holidays.

They won't have it.

What's going to happen? A whole lot of people are about to go bankrupt and lose everything, and then there will be economic echoes and reverberations throughout Thai society. Members will recall in the few months before Covid, there was a government push to clean up Non-Performing Loans NPLs). Does anyone think that the NPL issue has improved in the last 2 years? Rich people have been seen to during the Covid crisis; don't believe me? Care to explain how shopping malls have been able to re-open and tourist huts haven't been? The economic effects on the most vulnerable are going to be ugly.

I ask the question, but already know the answer...

Hey Prayut! What are you going to do about it?

Great post. A year back there was some suggestion that the government was trying to destroy the tourism industry. At the time I was sceptical and couldn’t see any logic to such a strategy. A year on, I’ve changed my mind. They don’t want to destroy it totally, they simply want to reduce it by around 50%. Remove the lower tiers and keep it for the 2 week tourists staying in international hotels. If they get 10 million tourists by 2025 they will see it as job done.

Lots of people who were trying to climb out of the rice fields and the poverty trap will be firmly back in their place. Cynical and cruel doesn’t even come close to what’s taking place. I think this plan has been in place for some years, Covid just gave this government a gift to accelerate the plan by 5-10 years. You have to feel sorry for the average Thai who just wants a better life for their family. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Another example of utter nonsense from tourism operators. So what does this person think would happen if water throwing had been allowed? Do they think 1 million foreigners would suddenly not worry about the Thailand Pass. One day quarantine and PCR on arrival test? A further test on day 5 test. Additional health insurance. Then they would all jump on aircraft and fly to Thailand to splash some water? Local people go home at Songkran. Yes they may spend a little more in Makro and 7/11 buying some beer to drink while stood throwing water. But how does that help. They will still buy the beer but not throw water. It’s  basically utter nonsense to suggest the decision to do away with water throwing is a further hit in the tourist industry. When will these people understand how to fix the problem? What is it they find so so difficult to grasp? 

Thailand reminds me of a shop owner that has locked the shop door and can’t find the key. They then complain there are no customers because the lights in the shop aren’t bright enough. They need to upgrade the shelves to attract more shoppers. They want to spend money on a new check out area as it’s too difficult for customers to pay. They want to have a 10% sale to attract more customers. No, No, No. it’s not that you Dumb Ass. You have no customers because your Ef’in shop door is locked!!

3DD0BD72-9932-4F4F-A30E-853FC4630267.gif

Respectfully Mr Dog, I think you underestimate the PR value of Songkran and the water fights on the international market.

You are absolutely correct that the mere decision to ban water-throwing isn't, in and of itself, going kill the economic benefits that flow from tourism; much, much more needs to be done to get it moving again.

However, I think that the tourism operator was making quite a valid point that the government is made up of idiots who on one hand say it is too dangerous to celebrate a holiday in the modern tradition while at the same time saying that all is good, the restrictions will be lifted any day now and come spend your cash here.

Moreover, the decision to ban water-throwing is going to dampen an already soggy re-opening. Every year around Songkran I get messages from friends globally commenting that Songkran, as they see on their television screens, looks like it is a lot of fun and they would like to partake (I am sure everyone reading this gets the same messages). Cancelling the water fights deprives tourism operators of potentially millions and millions in free global advertising.

The message that the government is putting out is that Thailand is unsafe, and they are doing it just before re-opening.

Idiots.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Great post. A year back there was some suggestion that the government was trying to destroy the tourism industry. At the time I was sceptical and couldn’t see any logic to such a strategy. A year on, I’ve changed my mind. They don’t want to destroy it totally, they simply want to reduce it by around 50%. Remove the lower tiers and keep it for the 2 week tourists staying in international hotels. If they get 10 million tourists by 2025 they will see it as job done.

Lots of people who were trying to climb out of the rice fields and the poverty trap will be firmly back in their place. Cynical and cruel doesn’t even come close to what’s taking place. I think this plan has been in place for some years, Covid just gave this government a gift to accelerate the plan by 5-10 years. You have to feel sorry for the average Thai who just wants a better life for their family. 

With respect Mr Dog, that is an extraordinary claim, and extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence to back them up.

I take a different view.

Hanlon's Law states;

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

4 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

Respectfully Mr Dog, I think you underestimate the PR value of Songkran and the water fights on the international market.

You are absolutely correct that the mere decision to ban water-throwing isn't, in and of itself, going kill the economic benefits that flow from tourism; much, much more needs to be done to get it moving again.

However, I think that the tourism operator was making quite a valid point that the government is made up of idiots who on one hand say it is too dangerous to celebrate a holiday in the modern tradition while at the same time saying that all is good, the restrictions will be lifted any day now and come spend your cash here.

Moreover, the decision to ban water-throwing is going to dampen an already soggy re-opening. Every year around Songkran I get messages from friends globally commenting that Songkran, as they see on their television screens, looks like it is a lot of fun and they would like to partake (I am sure everyone reading this gets the same messages). Cancelling the water fights deprives tourism operators of potentially millions and millions in free global advertising.

The message that the government is putting out is that Thailand is unsafe, and they are doing it just before re-opening.

Idiots.

Yes I totally agree with the aspect of Songkran being a great marketing opportunity. My main point however is that there are much more fundamental things wrong with the approach to Covid which are literally killing tourism and damaging the wider economy. 

The point about mixed messages is classic Thai planning and execution. They are simply incapable of putting a cohesive plan together. Where the delivery of one stage enables the next to progress. There is no point in mincing words here and it’s not an attempt to engage in “Thai bashing”. It’s a simple fact that they just don’t know how to do it. 

I have been saying for over two years. Closing down and locking down is the simple and easy part. It’s like deciding not to get out of bed in a morning. Opening up safely and finding the balance between protecting the economy and protecting healthcare is the really tricky and difficult part. Thailand was always going to fail in that regard. And when I say going to fail, I mean FAILED and continuing to Fail. 

Many Thais think they are untouched by what’s taking place. They don’t have the capacity to see what a 10%-15% hit on GDP for two years does to a country. Well keep watching and stop blaming it all on the Ukraine conflict. It’s a good excuse but it’s wrong. Thailand pending economic shock is all down to the way the government is handling Covid and it will drag on for years to come. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

With respect Mr Dog, that is an extraordinary claim, and extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence to back them up.

I take a different view.

Hanlon's Law states;

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

😂😂. Yes good quote and it’s tempting to conclude the same. I guess I keep trying to give the Thai government the benefit of the doubt. They don’t know how to plan anything constructive and positive, but are fantastic at planning negative and wasteful sh*te. Submarines?  two please. With or without an engine?  New fighter jets? Yes please. Can we have 4. One to protect our North, South, East and West border.

I guess it’s time to be grateful I’m not Thai. I can watch from the best seat in the house at the unfolding chaos.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just don’t understand anyone who says that Songkran water festivals are purely foreigners. Have you ever been to a festival like S2O or others? Most Thai office workers I know are typically going on holiday within Thailand, not home to family, but there for fun. 

Cancelling events not only detracts from foreign tourists but hurts domestic tourists too.  

Most Thai people I know with the means are going out of Thailand for Songkran this year rather than Chiang Mai or Phuket as in the past. I wonder if people making these comments know any middle, upper middle, or rich Thais or just simply think all Thai people are poor villagers heading back to their home town? 

People make all kinds of businesses and the utter lack of support or care for tourism businesses really is quite cruel  

2 hours ago, JJJ said:

I just don’t understand anyone who says that Songkran water festivals are purely foreigners. Have you ever been to a festival like S2O or others? Most Thai office workers I know are typically going on holiday within Thailand, not home to family, but there for fun. 

Cancelling events not only detracts from foreign tourists but hurts domestic tourists too.  

Most Thai people I know with the means are going out of Thailand for Songkran this year rather than Chiang Mai or Phuket as in the past. I wonder if people making these comments know any middle, upper middle, or rich Thais or just simply think all Thai people are poor villagers heading back to their home town? 

People make all kinds of businesses and the utter lack of support or care for tourism businesses really is quite cruel  

It seems your post was made to just brag you know richer Thais?

Otherwise it made no sense....

But hey you got to brag!    :)

44 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

It seems your post was made to just brag you know richer Thais?

Otherwise it made no sense....

But hey you got to brag!    :)

Actually you’re right. I read two similar threads about Songkran in a row. I mostly agree with both points above. 🤣 My bad  

But when talking about Songkran there are some around the forum cheering the cancelling of Songkran  parties saying it’s how it should be as if the only parties are for tourists.   

25 minutes ago, JJJ said:

Actually you’re right. I read two similar threads about Songkran in a row. I mostly agree with both points above. 🤣 My bad  

But when talking about Songkran there are some around the forum cheering the cancelling of Songkran  parties saying it’s how it should be as if the only parties are for tourists.   

That is because they (the tourists) aren't even invited.  Few people are if they're not Thai, as it should be.

2 hours ago, JJJ said:

Not me. I like Songkran abs have for still over 30 years. I am bummed it is another power play failed decision by the idiots in power. They contradict themselves repeatedly. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Poolie said:

That is because they (the tourists) aren't even invited.  Few people are if they're not Thai, as it should be.

Huh???

I am confused by your post............

Why shouldn't non-Thai be invited to Songkran?

I didn't say they shouldn't. I said they were unlikely to be. I've spent half my life pre_Covid in Thailand and not one Thai ever extended an invitation.

They just dont.

On 3/24/2022 at 11:12 AM, Soidog said:

😂😂. Yes good quote and it’s tempting to conclude the same. I guess I keep trying to give the Thai government the benefit of the doubt. They don’t know how to plan anything constructive and positive, but are fantastic at planning negative and wasteful sh*te. Submarines?  two please. With or without an engine?  New fighter jets? Yes please. Can we have 4. One to protect our North, South, East and West border.

I guess it’s time to be grateful I’m not Thai. I can watch from the best seat in the house at the unfolding chaos.  

Your post has gotten me thinking (Cheers for that) about life here as an expat.

I absolutely share your consternation at reading/seeing the news here and wanting to scream; who the hell agrees to buy submarines without checking under the hood? Who thinks 'Educational Reform' consists of re-jigging a University Entrance/Admission System? Who promotes the banning of activities when those very same activities are required for opening a closed tourism industry? I was going to add more questions, but then realized that I could write pages and pages (and pages and pages) of pointed questions about Thailand/Thai Governance and only achieve higher blood pressure.

We both are products of Liberal Western thinking and often events here in the Kingdom baffle and frustrate; rhetorically speaking, why can't they learn? Why do they miss the obvious? If I can see it this clearly, why can't they?

"...grateful I am not Thai..." is often how I feel as well; it is inconceivable that I could put up with it all without, as Americans say, 'Going Postal'.

However (you knew one was coming, right?), let me offer two thoughts that have lowered my blood pressure.

The Generals, as abhorrent as they are, are patriotic in their own minds; I forget the exact quote, but something like "No soldier goes to war believing that God is on the other side". I think that they are stupid/wrong, you think that they are stupid/wrong, I would argue that objective thinking would agree that they are both stupid and wrong, but they and their supporters (they have supporters, every government does) think that they are the best people for the job. 

They aren't evil, they are just stupid. And, you can't cure stupid, or at least not easily; stupid begets stupid.

Second, despite all the 'F**kuppery' of the last almost century, Thailand today is a place where I have made my home, or at least one of them, and I think the same for you and most people reading this. As much as I want to scream at my computer or television, I also love to visit my landlady who is as tall as my bellybutton and cackles with laughter all the time. I treasure popping into my local hole-in-the-wall restaurant, being greeted by a wonderful smile and not needing or being given a menu. I enjoy going to the market and having a haggle with the ladies there, and also having them whisper to their pals that "that Farang brings his own plastic bags". Most/all Thai people that I meet actively look for a way to make things 'Fun', and that is a beautiful thing.

Would Thailand be as good/the same if it had had good government lo these 90 years? Or, is Thailand as we know and love it a product of all the 'F**kuppery'?

I don't know, but it is most interesting to watch.

Off to the beach to ogle the most beautiful girls on the planet. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:
Your post has gotten me thinking (Cheers for that) about life here as an expat.

I absolutely share your consternation at reading/seeing the news here and wanting to scream; who the hell agrees to buy submarines without checking under the hood? Who thinks 'Educational Reform' consists of re-jigging a University Entrance/Admission System? Who promotes the banning of activities when those very same activities are required for opening a closed tourism industry? I was going to add more questions, but then realized that I could write pages and pages (and pages and pages) of pointed questions about Thailand/Thai Governance and only achieve higher blood pressure.

We both are products of Liberal Western thinking and often events here in the Kingdom baffle and frustrate; rhetorically speaking, why can't they learn? Why do they miss the obvious? If I can see it this clearly, why can't they?

"...grateful I am not Thai..." is often how I feel as well; it is inconceivable that I could put up with it all without, as Americans say, 'Going Postal'.

However (you knew one was coming, right?), let me offer two thoughts that have lowered my blood pressure.

The Generals, as abhorrent as they are, are patriotic in their own minds; I forget the exact quote, but something like "No soldier goes to war believing that God is on the other side". I think that they are stupid/wrong, you think that they are stupid/wrong, I would argue that objective thinking would agree that they are both stupid and wrong, but they and their supporters (they have supporters, every government does) think that they are the best people for the job. 

They aren't evil, they are just stupid. And, you can't cure stupid, or at least not easily; stupid begets stupid.

Second, despite all the 'F**kuppery' of the last almost century, Thailand today is a place where I have made my home, or at least one of them, and I think the same for you and most people reading this. As much as I want to scream at my computer or television, I also love to visit my landlady who is as tall as my bellybutton and cackles with laughter all the time. I treasure popping into my local hole-in-the-wall restaurant, being greeted by a wonderful smile and not needing or being given a menu. I enjoy going to the market and having a haggle with the ladies there, and also having them whisper to their pals that "that Farang brings his own plastic bags". Most/all Thai people that I meet actively look for a way to make things 'Fun', and that is a beautiful thing.

Would Thailand be as good/the same if it had had good government lo these 90 years? Or, is Thailand as we know and love it a product of all the 'F**kuppery'?

I don't know, but it is most interesting to watch.

Off to the beach to ogle the most beautiful girls on the planet. 

Great post mate and spot on. The only thing I would add is that sometimes I feel a little guilty at enjoying the product of all the F**kuppery. I’m lucky that I can enjoy it or ignore it. My kids futures are in the UK and not in Thailand. My income and pensions are all secure in the UK and I don’t need to worry about what they will F**k up next. Sadly for the Thai people, their futures are stifled by it all. That makes me feel sad for them.