News Forum - 80 million baht “Thai Riviera” coastal road planned for province along the Andaman Sea

Thaiger

A “Thai Riviera” road will be built along the coast six of Thailand’s Andaman provinces, if the Office of Transport’s request for 80 million baht gets approved. Beginning in Ranong, the road will run through Phang Nga, Phuket, Krabi, Trang and end in Satun province. The road is part of PM Prayut Chan-o-cha’s plan to boost the economy and tourism in southern Thailand. If the budget gets approved, the Office of Transport will spend the next two years making a development plan, which will be presented to the Transport Ministry for approval sometime after May 2024. Prayut invited the Transport […]

The story 80 million baht “Thai Riviera” coastal road planned for province along the Andaman Sea as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

1 hour ago, Alavan said:

That is a lot of road for 80 million Baht.

From Ranong to Satun? Nearly 600km.

My thoughts exactly. What is it, a dirt track? I know labour is cheap in Thailand, but even taking that in to considerations, it wouldn’t get you more than a few miles    This has to be Billion not Million. Average cost of a dual lane road in the UK is £16m per mile , or around 450m baht per kilometre. 

1 hour ago, Alavan said:

That is a lot of road for 80 million Baht.

From Ranong to Satun? Nearly 600km.

7 minutes ago, Soidog said:

My thoughts exactly. What is it, a dirt track? I know labour is cheap in Thailand, but even taking that in to considerations, it wouldn’t get you more than a few miles    This has to be Billion not Million. Average cost of a dual lane road in the UK is £16m per mile , or around 450m baht per kilometre. 

I think you 2 need to check out the source of this news and understand that 80 million baht covers only the design of the road: https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40013564

Design of Thai Riviera coastal road through 6 provinces to cost Bt80m

The Office of Transport and Traffic Policy and Planning (OTP) will request a budget of Bt80 million in 2023 to develop a plan for the so-called Thai Riviera coastal road through southern tourism provinces.

OTP’s Punya Chupanit said that the budget would cover the design of the 600-kilometre route through six Andaman provinces – Ranong, Phang Nga, Phuket, Krabi, Trang and Satun.

I think the majority of Thai folk would just want the Gov controlled public money to go to all of their pockets as a write off and then they just go away to the Riviera for good.

Highway 4 basically follows the Andaman Coast as it is, though is a fair distance inland in a few sections. I see in the article they are talking about an elevated road and areas “unsuitable” for construction. 

Seems like a lot of money to spend on something that isn’t needed.

• Like 2

Cue another half finished project with bridges to nowhere crumbling into the sea. The money would be better spent *finishing* the several existing roadworks up and down that coast 🙄

• Like 1

Un oh someone went to Southern California or has been watch too many movies. Highway 5 California in Thailand and billions in housing and real estate popped into their little minds, just build the road and dreams will come true.  Dreamers.

• Like 1

Not Phuket: already has an Andaman Coast Road which “ dead ends” at Rawai ……starts at Sarisin Bridge .

There isn’t any room or need for another !