News Forum - UKRAINE UPDATES: Ultimatums ‘not feasible’; Russian offensive stalls; Putin’s ‘back is against the wall’

Thaiger

7 hours ago, Thaidup said:

An The USA has a vast supply to boot, The Europeans just want the cheap stuff.

The link shows just how much the USA can supply that is currently known, then add the rest.

In addition to the proved natural gas reserves, large volumes of natural gas are classified as undiscovered—or unprovedtechnically recoverable resources (TRR). Undiscovered TRR are expected to exist because the geologic settings are favorable despite the uncertainty of their specific locations. Undiscovered TRR are also assumed to be producible over a time period using existing recovery technology. EIA estimates in the Annual Energy Outlook 2021 that as of January 1, 2019, the United States had about 2,867 trillion cubic feet (Tcf) of TRR of dry natural gas.

https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/natural-gas/how-much-gas-is-left.php

Did you ever heard something about the pipeline from Norway, North Sea and Lng from Qatar etc.

At the moment they just to organize suppliers and orders for the next winter to cut off from Russia. Thats why Germany made a week ago already first order over a billion euro for liquid gas delivery. Sure is under time pressure now to restructure all

31 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Reader - mmm perhaps. Understander - never!!😃

Sure I will never believe anything from your commander Xi and politburo Bejing what is for you the truth 😃

Understand?! 😃

7 hours ago, Thaidup said:

Be careful when posting common sense, haven't you heard yet that unless you unequivocally denounce Russia you are supporting baby killers?

So what exactly is there NOT to Denounce Russia for ? Unless you subscribe to “ West Provoked Russia by NATO Expansion” school of thought. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tim_Melb said:

There is capacity, Australia can supply 70% of Europe requirements from the Northwest shelf without cutting back exports to China and other existing clients its just a matter of the increased logistics cost for Europe that is the cause of reluctance from Europe. The other 30% can be sourced from other suppliers it's not a problem of availability it's just a reluctance to pay the higher logistics costs. If  China was to move closer to Russia in this then it would also be possible for Australia to cut supplies to China and that would allow for Australia to supply 100% of Europe's needs. 

You can find gas in different places. Europe has gas from the Netherlands (nearly finished), Statfjord (Norway), North Sea, Algeria, Russia, all by pipeline. Further they import from Qatar and some from other places, Indonesia, Brunei… And Iran would be very happy to supply. 
But don’t forget countries are looking to replace methane by green energy (wind, solar). Remember climate change.

Edited by Alavan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Guest1 said:

You are a very selectiv reader and understander, mate

Actually a Compliment, though unintended no doubt. 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Fanta said:

That’s a brave post that goes against the “Ukraine winning war led by future Time Man of The Year Zelenskyy against Russia dragged unprepared and unwillingly into slaughter fest by crazed dictator” consensus.

Now we hear that Zelenskyy is offering to not join NATO (newsflash funny man - you were never invited) and is willing to discuss the districts already lost. Who is advising this guy? Donald Trump’s crack team of election officials? The “no fly zone” and “meet Putin directly” demands are as ridiculous as his promises to fight to the death and damage Russia for generations to come. His ass will be handed to him on a plate very soon and it is also partly his fault. How long did Russia build up forces on the border? My beloved grandmother could have told him the invasion was imminent and she’s been dead for decades. Did Zelenskyy honestly think that NATO would back him up and risk WWIII over Ukraine? DELUSIONAL. When the bully wants to take your school money you hand some of it over and live to fight another day. And the West  won’t fire a shot because the Winnie the Pooh and his crew will get involved. And please don’t waste the virtual paper by saying I support Russia, that I’m complicit in killing civilians, bombing hospitals, eating babies blah blah. Every single time in these forums someone posts anything less than 110% supportive of Ukraine they are attacked. I don’t care because I made lasagna!

No we did not want to be drawn into a 3RD woorld war so we did the best we could for Ukraine Fanta. We gave him better tools to do a better job and now Zelenskyy is grabbing the bear by his ass. Putin for a 3rd superpower in the world has not took 1 objective after a month and has had to buy mercenaries because his lackeys are not up to the job. Not bad for a comedian Fanta.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Stardust said:

As a Ukraine soldier said in an interview I watch and with European military experts

" we can be lucky that the Russian Army so stupid"

Capabilities and fighting like it was 80 years ago in the 2nd worldwar.

Even selling over 80 years old military tech and a copy as new inventions.

He was right we can be lucky they are on this level.

Exactly. Next will be Russian WW2 “ Human Wave” tactics as untrained reserves are forced into battle en masse with political commissars urging them on from the rear with machine guns at their backs to “ encourage their patriotism (slavery)”. Waves of T34 type Tanks no longer work either with latest western anti tank weapons.

Shooting fleeing unarmed Civilians now the popular Russian practice I see. Fighting Ukrainian Infantry too difficult & costly. 

Russian Infantry so very poor with no permanent NCO cadre, no initiative below Captain rank and very poor fast training. Shoot a Captain to paralyze 100 troops! Ukraine Army doing that already. 

By contrast every UK ( Ukrainians have had eight years NATO Training) lowest Private soldier capable to fight as NCO Leader, formally trained or not, or one man army if necessary. Simply No Comparison between NATO & Russian Infantry . Russians seem actually worse than WW2 80 years ago I believe as no combat much.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Thaidup said:

Be careful when posting common sense, haven't you heard yet that unless you unequivocally denounce Russia you are supporting baby killers?

Couldn’t care less about any sad misguided idiots or paid collaborators supporting any form of tyranny.

They have a later date with lamppost & rope  if committing acts of atrocity ….

as opposed to reading the Morning Star and posting here, before cashing their unemployment cheque.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Guest1 said:

Still, the ABMs of Russia are known to be placed around Moscow, the ABM of the USA may not even exist and NMD is still in development.

So aside that we, the people, probably don't wanna find out about it, you saying, in case Russia would place missiles near the US, the US would think the same way, like 1962, again? I agree.

Just, the other way,  Russia has to take it?

And no one had the idea, that once, a Psycho in Moscow may not be willing to do so?

And if or if not the Kinzhal are "that good" like Putin wanna make the west believe, is a serious question. If they are not, if it is a bluff, that could do the opposite if what Putin wants: The west to back off.

But if they are, and that is what the west is trying to find out, where was the plane it came from, how quick was it really, is the accuracy really that good, like it looks, we all should hope, that no western country is thinking about using ICBMs.

Russian ABMs are great for Moscow (assuming they work a lot better than every other bit of Russian kit we've seen so far) but they don't have enough of them and they don't protect a large area nor do they protect against stealth bombers or cruise missiles. If Russia wants masses of Nukes based in Poland, Estonia etc, playing this game is how they get them.

A psycho in Russia can, at best give the order, given the rates of desertion from Russian forces and the low morale, it seems unlikely that such a suicidal order would be transmitted let alone carried out.

and if he is genuinely a psycho, odds are he is going to give the order anyway.

I'm hoping that the West is thinking about ICBMs - Putin raised his nuclear alert level, US, UK and France should match or exceed that level.

Putin is heading down the path Hitler took, one important lesson from WW2 is that a single French police officer could have stopped WW2 (in Europe) - any resistance when the Wehrmacht rolled into the Rhineland and they were under orders to withdraw. they met no resistance so Hitler was emboldened and continued. had the operation failed the idea amongst German military leadership that he had the measure of the allies would never have taken hold.

If Putin is not stopped now, he will have to be stopped later at far greater cost.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oldschooler said:

So what exactly is there NOT to Denounce Russia for ? Unless you subscribe to “ West Provoked Russia by NATO Expansion” school of thought. 

RE the "NATO expansion school of thought", a good question to ask is "why do so many ex-soviet client states and satellite states want to join NATO?"

• Like 1

Wonder over wonder nobody trust Russia or wanna be allied with Russia. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Politenessman said:

RE the "NATO expansion school of thought", a good question to ask is "why do so many ex-soviet client states and satellite states want to join NATO?"

Nobody in europe trust Russia or want to be allied with Russia. Europe has experienced their occupation and that you never can trust them. 

Actually a Compliment, though unintended no doubt. 

Your'e kind of proving my point, Os. Like S'dust did in his reply, too.

The difference between "selective reading" and "very selective reading" is, that the first tries to filter out unneeded informations, separate the facts from fiction. But the second reads and understands things only and in a way, as long it fits the own pov.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Freeduhdumb said:

Putin will be forced to take this conflict where we REALLY do not want to go

Why was he forced? What threat of invasion was Russia facing and from whom? There was no inevitability of this other than what was driven by the paranoia and nationalism of Putin. This, along with his Cold War KGB mindset is what’s driving this. Nothing else. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Alavan said:

You can find gas in different places. Europe has gas from the Netherlands (nearly finished), Statfjord (Norway), North Sea, Algeria, Russia, all by pipeline. Further they import from Qatar and some from other places, Indonesia, Brunei… And Iran would be very happy to supply. 
But don’t forget countries are looking to replace methane by green energy (wind, solar). Remember climate change.

The climate change thing is completely irrelevant! It's about replacing the gas that Europe needs to get through winter. If they want to put financial pressure on Russia they must stop buying gas from Russia. None of the sources you list can supply increased capacity they are already at maximum production except Iran how will not be supporting NATO in this conflict situation. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. Climate change FFS are you even aware what the subject of this thread is about? 

9 hours ago, EdwardV said:

Besides the fact there are Chechens fighting on both sides. I sincerely doubt there are many Ukrainians outside of the two breakaway areas who support Russian. The only good thing that came out of the annexation of Crimea was it galvanized the population behind a sense of national identity in being Ukrainian. It was the single biggest mistake of Putin, to not attack and conquer all of Ukraine at that time. He gave them the time and need to become one, and the time and need to build a functional army. They knew at that point in time this attack was coming.

I get wanting to blame NATO, and there is probably some level. However it’s nothing in comparison to what is given to Putin. 

Come off it NATO and the US have been antagonising Putin and Russia for 30 years, constantly encouraging the old iron curtain countries to break the agreements signed when the wall came down and getting them one by one to join NATO telling the Ukrainian government it was possible for them to join NATO in break of all the past agreements that said they can't was a step too far, NATO are every bit as responsible for this war as Putin. FFS the CIA were warning against this shit storm 10 years ago it's a matter of public record that encouraging the Ukraine to follow the course that lead to this was crossing several red lines for Russia and would lead to this exact situation. But they just continued down this road and now they are saying its all Putins fault its complete bullshit. Going to war is always wrong so Putin is wrong but NATO are just as complicit in this situation as Russia and that is a FACT! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Politenessman said:

Yes, or more pointedly; “what did you not like about, and why do you need protection from, the unfree tyrannical aggressive murdering former invaders & colonizers of your country & oppressors of your people” 🤣😉😠

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

This, along with his Cold War KGB mindset is what’s driving this. Nothing else. 

It is, at this stage of the war, not really important, what started it in the first place.  I'm still trying to understand the people, saying that Putin is a made dog but in the same sentence, they expect the crazy guy to do sane decisions and back off.

The second is not really to expect with the first.

So whatever drove us here, and there is no denial, it was Putin with the invasion, we have to deal with it FROM HERE.

The "if he hadn't done it, ..." is not getting us anywhere else, as closer to the usage of "more deadly and mass destruction forces"

And my educated guess is that the western/NATO military adviser are calculating with the worst, but in the same moment trying to see behind the russian propaganda curtains.

Just as long, as there is no proof of the opposite, the west has to assume the worst reaction to every action.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Tim_Melb said:

Come off it NATO and the US have been antagonising Putin and Russia for 30 years, constantly encouraging the old iron curtain countries to break the agreements signed when the wall came down and getting them one by one to join NATO telling the Ukrainian government it was possible for them to join NATO in break of all the past agreements that said they can't was a step too far, NATO are every bit as responsible for this war as Putin. FFS the CIA were warning against this shit storm 10 years ago it's a matter of public record that encouraging the Ukraine to follow the course that lead to this was crossing several red lines for Russia and would lead to this exact situation. But they just continued down this road and now they are saying its all Putins fault its complete bullshit. Going to war is always wrong so Putin is wrong but NATO are just as complicit in this situation as Russia and that is a FACT! 

“ antagonizing” Russia is part of NATO’s sworn duty to defend the West. Russia does the same. It’s called Politics. That IN NO WAY justifies Invading Ukraine! 

Russia has been the Main Enemy of the West since 1945. They have been treated as such since then and vice versa. Only because Russia decides to remain UNFREE. Their Choice & their Consequences.

Russia (before Putin) also FAILED to Partition Ukraine West / East before Independence into Ukrainian / Russian Speakers. THAT is the true precursor ( not cause/ cause is Putin alone) of this War.

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

Why was he forced? What threat of invasion was Russia facing and from whom? There was no inevitability of this other than what was driven by the paranoia and nationalism of Putin. This, along with his Cold War KGB mindset is what’s driving this. Nothing else. 

You clearly don't have enough of a grasp on the historical and current events. People who are ignorant to the facts of the situation don't ask questions like this... let me suggest you need to do some serious research into the matter. I can't spoon feed you the answers. Seriously, I am not being condescending with this comment. You are a smart guy... I know you can find the Truth. Good Luck. 

7 minutes ago, Guest1 said:

It is, at this stage of the war, not really important, what started it in the first place.  I'm still trying to understand the people, saying that Putin is a made dog but in the same sentence, they expect the crazy guy to do sane decisions and back off.

The second is not really to expect with the first.

So whatever drove us here, and there is no denial, it was Putin with the invasion, we have to deal with it FROM HERE.

The "if he hadn't done it, ..." is not getting us anywhere else, as closer to the usage of "more deadly and mass destruction forces"

And my educated guess is that the western/NATO military adviser are calculating with the worst, but in the same moment trying to see behind the russian propaganda curtains.

Just as long, as there is no proof of the opposite, the west has to assume the worst reaction to every action.

Talking Finished. Ukraine & Russia to continue to bleed Russia Dry until  Putin removed by Russia who Withdraws and pay Reparations. 

Perhaps breaking the Oligarchs & their FSB Thug support, with all Russia reduced to Poverty, will start the process of Russia becoming Democratic, Prosperous and uniting with West / Allies against CCP China & Iran.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Freeduhdumb said:

You clearly don't have enough of a grasp on the historical and current events. People who are ignorant to the facts of the situation don't ask questions like this... let me suggest you need to do some serious research into the matter. I can't spoon feed you the answers. Seriously, I am not being condescending with this comment. You are a smart guy... I know you can find the Truth. Good Luck. 

Sorry but that’s a cop out. I have done my research. I’ve checked the history. I’ve walked the timeline of Putin and how he’s crippled opposition. I’m aware of how he attempted to move close to the liberal democracies whilst wanting to maintain autocracy within Russia. None of that gives any excuse to what he has done in Ukraine. If Ukraine was itself held by a dictator then you could claim he is liberating people. They are not under a dictator and choose their own path. So again, I ask, as you claim to be in the know, what is Putin so concerned about other than democracy? 

• Like 4