News Forum - Phuket proposes visa and work permit scheme for digital nomads in Thailand

Thaiger

22 minutes ago, Soidog said:

People need to stop making silly point scoring comments about tax and contributing to Thailand. If you are from the UK then you don’t need to speculate or concern yourself with taxation. It’s already firmly agreed between the UK and Thai governments in an agreement going back to 1981. I work and earn money while in Thailand and I pay my taxes in the UK. The same goes for Thai people working in the UK who work and earn money and choose to pay taxes in Thailand. You either pay it in the UK or pay it in Thailand. If you want more details then read the attached.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/507424/uk-thailand-dtc180281_-_in_force.pdf

I though you came to Thailand on a tourist visa. As such you can't work or get a WP. Maybe in the past you had a Non B visa and WP. Sorry I have a very good memory.

41 minutes ago, Soidog said:

People need to stop making silly point scoring comments about tax and contributing to Thailand. If you are from the UK then you don’t need to speculate or concern yourself with taxation. It’s already firmly agreed between the UK and Thai governments in an agreement going back to 1981. I work and earn money while in Thailand and I pay my taxes in the UK. The same goes for Thai people working in the UK who work and earn money and choose to pay taxes in Thailand. You either pay it in the UK or pay it in Thailand. If you want more details then read the attached.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/507424/uk-thailand-dtc180281_-_in_force.pdf

I'm not entirely sure how it works in the UK because I know they don't follow you globally tax wise, if you live outside the UK for a certain period of time

But you posted a tax treaty that prevents double taxation

That doesn't discount you having to pay taxes in Thailand if you live and work there

It just means you won't overpay the % of taxes owed wherever you are deemed to reside

Again, it's a bit different for me  because I'm American 

But I live and work in Canada

I pay more taxes in Canada than I would in the US, so my tax obligation to the US is fulfilled because they have a tax treaty

I still have to file my US taxes

Now if I lived and worked in Thailand and they taxed me a flat 15%

And my average tax bracket by my earnings would put me in the 30% tax bracket

I would owe the US that 15%

Although if you work as an expat outside the US, your 1st 130k is tax free

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

I though you came to Thailand on a tourist visa. As such you can't work or get a WP. Maybe in the past you had a Non B visa and WP. Sorry I have a very good memory.

Are you aware you can apply to change your status from Tourist to Non Imm (O, B, ED etc) at a local Immigration office.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

Up to me !!

4 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I'm not entirely sure how it works in the UK because I know they don't follow you globally tax wise, if you live outside the UK for a certain period of time

But you posted a tax treaty that prevents double taxation

That doesn't discount you having to pay taxes in Thailand if you live and work there

It just means you won't overpay the % of taxes owed wherever you are deemed to reside

Correct, but most foreigners that would be subject to tax in Thailand earn less than the monthly personal income allowance, so no tax is due.

Interest on Thai bank accounts is taxed 15% at source as it's regarded as income earned within Thailand.
As that tax is below the personal threshold for tax, I'm entitled to reclaim it every year.

4 minutes ago, Faz said:

Are you aware you can apply to change your status from Tourist to Non Imm (O, B, ED etc) at a local Immigration office.

Exactly Faz. And no, he’s obviously not aware.

6 hours ago, LoongFred said:

Good you agree to pay taxes. Unfortunately, you and I are not in a position to tell the government how to spend the taxes. The 300 baht entry fee is really nothing compared to the taxes you pay in the UK or US. Thailand doesn't want to attract peasants, it already has enough home grown in that category.  They want those who can pay and contribute.

We are definitely not able to tell the government on direct or indirect tax, rates or types. Thailand only want rich peasants.😃

When you pay tax you contribute. Big or small

Well, I wish Thailand good luck with yet another way to lure people into coming to the country. We also made the mistake to plan a medium term holiday (4 months) on Phuket island. Unclear visa regulations (no, this Airbnb rental contract is not a rental contract, your landlord has to appear here, where are your witnesses...) made us leave the country one month early and extend our winter holiday and spend our money in another country.

6 hours ago, Wortel said:

Well, I wish Thailand good luck with yet another way to lure people into coming to the country. We also made the mistake to plan a medium term holiday (4 months) on Phuket island. Unclear visa regulations (no, this Airbnb rental contract is not a rental contract, your landlord has to appear here, where are your witnesses...) made us leave the country one month early and extend our winter holiday and spend our money in another country.

It's best to understand the visa regulations before you come. Sounds like you felt you could do whatever and found out differently.

With borders just now opening the option to do visa runs to extend is limited and may include other entry requirement.

10 minutes ago, AlexPTY said:

would they be able to leave the island? cause is i know WP issued for the specific location

WPs are not locked anymore to a location. Also, as long as you still work for the employer in the occupation listed, you can actually do other forms of non-prohibited work too. Not to say they couldn't add a condition to a particular WP of course, but that's the default WP nowadays.

9 minutes ago, Artemis080 said:

WPs are not locked anymore to a location. Also, as long as you still work for the employer in the occupation listed, you can actually do other forms of non-prohibited work too. Not to say they couldn't add a condition to a particular WP of course, but that's the default WP nowadays.

oops, i didn't know that, since Thai government issuing mine, i never looked in a book. that said, just looking at qualifications required for WP:

1. Having residence in the Kingdom or having permission to stay in the Kingdom temporarily under the immigration law (i.e. not as a tourist or a transit-traveler).
2. Not applying for work in any or the 39 reserved occupations prescribed in the Royal Decree B.E. 2522 (1979).
3. Having the knowledge and/or skills to perform the work as stated in the application for a Work Permit.
4. Not being insane or mentally sick.
5. Not being sick of leprosy, tuberculosis, drug addiction, alcoholism and elephantitus.
6. Not having been imprisoned due to violation of the immigration law or the alien employment law within one year prior to applying for a Work Permit.

i won't actually pass 3 out of 6 :)

• Haha 1

On 22.3.2022 at 22:32, Marc26 said:

Ist das eine ernsthafte Frage?

Du denkst, du kannst einfach irgendwo leben und nicht deinen gerechten Anteil zahlen?

Sie nutzen alle Infrastrukturen Ihres Aufenthaltsortes 

Diese Infrastrukturen, die Sie nutzen, werden durch Steuern finanziert.....

And I pay for that with my consumption taxes like anyone else who does not generate their funds in the country, i.e. retirees or people who live off their investments and holdings.
I don't need any infrastructure for my business from Thailand.  And once Starlink is available everywhere, I don't even need internet in the host country. So why should I pay for it separately?

On 24.3.2022 at 20:33, HiuMak said:

Wenn Sie sagen, dass Sie in der Buchhaltung arbeiten, sollten Sie das Konzept der Betriebsstätte kennen. Es spielt keine Rolle und wird versteuert. Für ein Arbeitsvisum ist es ein legaler Pass, um in Thailand zu arbeiten, und Sie sollten entsprechend besteuert werden. Warum sollten Einheimische besteuert werden und Ausländer, die in Thailand arbeiten, nicht besteuert werden?

No, I didn't say I worked in accounting. My accounting for my company is handled in Europe. My company also pays taxes there.

Because I don't use any of the Thai infrastructure. No legal security, no workers that Thailand has trained, no value creation that has anything to do with Thailand. I don't even use Thai banks for my business. So what should I pay for?

On 24.3.2022 at 20:35, HiuMak said:

Viele dieser Länder sind Steueroasen und auch wenn Sie in diesen Ländern keine Arbeit melden.

Steuern sind dumm und nur eine Möglichkeit, Geld von der Regierung zu nehmen. Haben Sie Steuerplanung und zahlen Sie das Minimum

This is what i am doing.

On 24.3.2022 at 20:54, LoongFred said:

Lassen Sie es mich also klarstellen. Sie möchten in Thailand leben, seine Einrichtungen und Infrastrukturen nutzen, aber nichts beitragen. Sie scheinen sehr berechtigt zu sein. Warum sollte Thailand dich hier haben wollen? Ich denke, jeder muss etwas beitragen und Gäste sollten mehr beitragen. Tut mir leid, wenn das hart erscheint, aber Sie müssen bezahlen, um spielen zu können.

I pay for my apartment, I pay for my food, , I pay for my doctor's visits, I pay for my recreation. On all this there are taxes, which I pay of course. Why should I pay for something that I will not or cannot use?
What is this so-called infrastructure that digital nomads use and other foreigners don't?

On 3/25/2022 at 5:26 AM, dirkzett said:

There are many countries outside the EU, in Asia e.g. Philippines or Malaysia, many Caribbean countries and from Latin America, which do not want taxes on worldwide income. For all of them I need a visa. So it has nothing to do with visa.  It is the aggressive greed for money of Thailand's authorities and the childish control addiction which demands that.

It is the same stupidity that requires a pensioner to deposit 800000Baht, give him a so called 1 year visa and require him to report every 90 days.
 It is the same stupidity as allowing a foreigner to start a business, giving him a work permit for one year and then requiring him to make a visa run every three months.

It is just stupid.

As long as you can take care of yourself if you have an accident or get bitten by a snake or whatever, I agree, but don't expect the locals to pay for anything unfortunate that may ever happen to you on your travels. But judging by your tone I think that maybe you would expect them to "take care of you" for free. unless you are employed and have health and accident insurance, please tell us more.

Edited by Thaidup

On 21.3.2022 at 02:04, LoongFred said:

Ich bezweifle es auch. Erfordern wahrscheinlich eine Anzahlung bei einer thailändischen Bank (800.000 +) und möglicherweise eine Versicherung. Dies würde zweifellos die Low-Ender fernhalten. Ich dachte, es gäbe bereits ein vorgeschlagenes Visum für höherwertige DN-Typen. 

These officials haven't even grasped what a digital nomad is yet.
 He doesn't need health insurance that ends at Thailand's border, he has worldwide health insurance that also pays, much to the delight of the financial departments of the Thai health system.
A nomad doesn't need a Thai bank account, he has worldwide accounts that aren't tied to any conditions like visas or house books or guarantors.
These suggestions are all ideas from people stuck in the last millennium.

A visa costs money, If they want to sell me such a nomadic visa, it should have advantages for me, otherwise I won't buy. 
Other countries also have beautiful beaches, then I just keep changing countries every 3 months. AirBnB is everywhere, VISA and Mastercard are taken everywhere with pleasure.

14 minutes ago, Thaidup said:

Solange Sie sich um sich selbst kümmern können, wenn Sie einen Unfall haben oder von einer Schlange gebissen werden oder was auch immer, stimme ich zu, aber erwarten Sie nicht, dass die Einheimischen für etwas Unglückliches bezahlen, das Ihnen jemals auf Ihren Reisen passieren könnte. Aber deinem Ton nach zu urteilen, denke ich, dass du vielleicht erwarten würdest, dass sie sich umsonst „um dich kümmern“. sofern Sie nicht berufstätig und kranken- und unfallversichert sind, teilen Sie uns bitte mehr mit.

I don't even expect that in my home country, so why should I expect that in other countries?

Don't you have health insurance that is valid worldwide?, no coverage for accidents? No guaranteed medical return flight? 
Then you are more of a problem for Thailand, but it has nothing to do with digital nomads.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, dirkzett said:

These officials haven't even grasped what a digital nomad is yet.
 He doesn't need health insurance that ends at Thailand's border, he has worldwide health insurance that also pays, much to the delight of the financial departments of the Thai health system.
A nomad doesn't need a Thai bank account, he has worldwide accounts that aren't tied to any conditions like visas or house books or guarantors.
These suggestions are all ideas from people stuck in the last millennium.

A visa costs money, If they want to sell me such a nomadic visa, it should have advantages for me, otherwise I won't buy. 
Other countries also have beautiful beaches, then I just keep changing countries every 3 months. AirBnB is everywhere, VISA and Mastercard are taken everywhere with pleasure.

I like your attitude, But tell me please, What benefit do you bring to all the countries you visit? Other than spending the money from the last millennium?

I ask because I presume you use the roads and streets, You don't shit on the street do you? so you use the toilets, you use the internet system? You use the power grid?

Edited by Thaidup

41 minutes ago, dirkzett said:

And I pay for that with my consumption taxes like anyone else who does not generate their funds in the country, i.e. retirees or people who live off their investments and holdings.
I don't need any infrastructure for my business from Thailand.  And once Starlink is available everywhere, I don't even need internet in the host country. So why should I pay for it separately?

Then stay home......

• Like 1

There may be some "lost in translation" happening here, now that I am understanding that dirkzett is not a natural English speaker, after seeing the way the translations came out, LOL,

My main point being that "digital nomads" still have a duty to pay a share of what the public has put into providing them with the resources to be able to earn an income, be it by a visa or taxes, and if they don't pay or qualify for the visa, bye bye👋

Edited by Thaidup

3 hours ago, Thaidup said:

There may be some "lost in translation" happening here, now that I am understanding that dirkzett is not a natural English speaker, after seeing the way the translations came out, LOL,

My main point being that "digital nomads" still have a duty to pay a share of what the public has put into providing them with the resources to be able to earn an income, be it by a visa or taxes, and if they don't pay or qualify for the visa, bye bye👋

As a guest I would add fair share plus so that the government really want this sort here. Also at least accident insurance would be a must for those using motor bikes.

On 27.3.2022 at 19:31, HiuMak said:

Betriebsstätte. 

I dont have one, i am a nomad. 2 month here, than next place. the world and Thailand is to beautiful to stay in one place.