News Forum - Don’t forget about dengue while worrying about Covid – Thai health officials

Thaiger

Thai health officials have issued a warning about a seasonal outbreak of dengue fever that may be more severe than normal. The Department of Disease Control says that while the focus is on preventing the spread of Covid-19, the risk of contracting dengue tends to be forgotten about. However, so far this year, there have been 3 early deaths from the mosquito-borne illness. DDC chief Dr Opas Karnkawinpong says this is already half the 2021 total. “Every year the incidence of dengue, along with that of other diseases such as diarrhoea, and heat stroke, rises sharply as summer approaches. Last […]

The story Don’t forget about dengue while worrying about Covid – Thai health officials as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Everything is forgotten except for covid, including dengue fever, traffic slaughter and not least the economical impact from all the covid measures.

• Like 2

It's a very nasty virus.  I caught Dengue some 19 years ago and I still suffer the aftermath  to this day.  Covid held no fears for me after that experience, although I did my civic duty and had two AZ vaccinations. 

25 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

It's a very nasty virus.  I caught Dengue some 19 years ago and I still suffer the aftermath  to this day.  Covid held no fears for me after that experience, although I did my civic duty and had two AZ vaccinations. 

Me too and the scary thing about dengue is that there are 4 serotypes, once you get infected by one of them you will be immune for life however if you get infected with the other 3 serotypes the conditions could be worse.

I still remember the constant blood drawing from the nurses every 4- 6 hours to check my platelet count to make sure it doesn't go dangerously low.

• Like 1

Dengue is a particular importance to falangs  because of lack of previous exposure. Thais might have immunity from previous exposure. It's carried   by Aedes mosquitoes that may  bite in daytime. Problems can go on for a period of time after the patient feels better. 

50 minutes ago, Cabra said:

Don't forget about Lassa, Marburg, Ebola and Hantavirus 🤪

Or being in a road crash, falling off a balcony, getting stabbed by an angry ex, or electrocution……

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Yep I don't fancy dengue at all!

I sit outside most nights but in the rainy season here in Kanchanaburi, it's Mosquito Central.

I have to wear a tshirt under a cotton long-sleeved shirt and still I can waken up with bites on my back.

I wrongly thought they'd never get through 2 layers, but they sure can.

Edited by Saltire

someones keeping the population in fear again ..ive been bitten hundreds of times but only a lump and some antihistamine cream and im fine again, yeah  im not sure they bite through things but find a way up a leg or sleeve.. i normally spray the entrances and im ok especially the ankles