News Forum - Alcohol lobby groups call for 2pm – 5pm booze sales ban to be lifted

Thaiger

23 hours ago, Marble-eye said:

I think that some stupid laws need complaining about. Not all laws are good laws, infact just to prove a point there was a law in the 17th century that stated if you spotted a Welsh person on the streets of Shrewsbury on a Sunday past the hours of 7pm you were allowed to kill him with your bow and arrow, I'm still not sure if that law has been repealed or not.

But the point being if a schoolchild comes into your local 7/11 and asks for a crate of Leo the simple answer is to say 'no'. But I am of the belief that the schoolchildren excuse is a very poor excuse as there are many 7/11s no where near schools.

"Alcohol buying time in Thailand is ONLY  certain times every day.

The alcohol selling times if 11 am to 2 pm and from 5 pm to midnight.

This includes local shops, supermarkets, and 7-11 alcohol hours in Thailand are the same,

I repeat you can only buy alcohol in shops between :

11 am to 2 pm and 5 pm to midnight

Don’t ask us why.

It’s an old law from the Thai government.

It’s illegal for all shops to sell alcohol in the afternoons.

And nobody knows why. The only thing for sure is the shop owners are strict about the rules."

https://bangkoknightlife.com/rules-laws-alcohol-in-thailand/

I’ll be visiting Shrewsbury next month. Anyone know if there’s a bow and arrow shop in the high street? 🤣🤣

• Haha 2

Just now, Leeshard said:

I’ll be visiting Shrewsbury next month. Anyone know if there’s a bow and arrow shop in the high street? 🤣🤣

My apologies, I checked after I posted and it turns out it is actually Chester.

Screenshot_2022-03-19-12-18-10-306_com.opera.browser.thumb.jpg.b323a2fb6b7e2a4ccbbe0ac8152807d4.jpg

But another law many may be breaking.....if you eat mince pies on Christmas Day you are breaking the law as Oliver Cromwell banned the eating of the pies on that said day, and that law has not been repealed.

But just another example how stupid laws can be.

• Haha 1

Topic makes no sense.  What is the point of lifting a ban that is never enforced in the first place?

Here in Pattaya people openly drinking and being served beers and cocktails in all outdoor bars/restaurants every day between 2-5pm. 

Right next to police station on Soi 9 and Beach road.  On Soi Buakhao, etc... everywhere in Pattaya

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Poolie said:

Unfortunately, you appear to have confused me with someone who gives a flying fart. My issue is with people who do, and are therefore complicit in the lies. 

Oh, so you are troll and therefore an utter waste of everyones time. Thanks for letting us know, I'll not be wasting any more of my time on you.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Politenessman said:

Oh, so you are troll and therefore an utter waste of everyones time. Thanks for letting us know, I'll not be wasting any more of my time on you.

Good, the feeling is utterly mutual. I like the 'us.' Where did that come from? The 'my' is acceptable. 😃

5 hours ago, ExpatPattaya said:

Topic makes no sense.  What is the point of lifting a ban that is never enforced in the first place?

Here in Pattaya people openly drinking and being served beers and cocktails in all outdoor bars/restaurants every day between 2-5pm. 

Right next to police station on Soi 9 and Beach road.  On Soi Buakhao, etc... everywhere in Pattaya

If never enforced why all the comments here. I think the cash registers at 7-11 and Big C lock it out.

I'm not a heavy drinker so it makes no difference to me.

44 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Good, the feeling is utterly mutual. I like the 'us.' Where did that come from? The 'my' is acceptable. 😃

I endorse everything he says if that helps.😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, ExpatPattaya said:

That's because these restaurants are exploiting a loophole in the law. The law explicitly says that the sales and purchase of alcohol is prohibited from 2-5pm however in order for it to be considered a sales and purchase there must be a monetary exchange. The sales and purchase has not been concluded until you have actually pay for it.

So technically you can still be served alcohol during those 2-5pm as long as you pay before 2pm or after 5pm. 

The law was meant to prohibit school aged teenagers from buying alcohol and drinking in secret. Teenagers mostly wouldn't actually dare to go to a restaurant/bar for a sit down drinking session would they?

Edited by Noble_Design

The law is to prevent school children from drinking?

I don't get it.

Don't you have to show your Thai ID if your age is in question before alcohol is sold and;

What happens when there is no school (semester breaks) it's ok then.

1 hour ago, Nivram said:

The law is to prevent school children from drinking?

I don't get it.

Don't you have to show your Thai ID if your age is in question before alcohol is sold and;

What happens when there is no school (semester breaks) it's ok then.

People must be really desperate for a drink to be complaining. It's the way it is and those who must have a drink must plan ahead. With everything else wrong in this world this doesn't make the list.

21 hours ago, LoongFred said:

People must be really desperate for a drink to be complaining. It's the way it is and those who must have a drink must plan ahead. With everything else wrong in this world this doesn't make the list.

No, people just don't like having to specifically schedule their day around being able to buy a specific consumer item if they want it.

What if it wasn't alcohol, what if it was eggs or bottled water would you say it's perfectly reasonable?

Re "it's the way it is" if everyone takes that view no pointless law would ever change would they?

Re "With everything else wrong in this world this doesn't make the list."  some of us can walk and chew gum at the same time - suggesting that because there are bigger issues elsewhere in the world means smaller issues should not be addressed locally essentially says, on a global scale, only one issue at a time can be addressed, so what is it going to be? Chinese concentration camps, or the Russian invasion of Ukraine, or do you have another favourite?  let us know so we can all freeze in place until that issue is sorted...

21 minutes ago, Politenessman said:

No, people just don't like having to specifically schedule their day around being able to buy a specific consumer item if they want it.

What if it wasn't alcohol, what if it was eggs or bottled water would you say it's perfectly reasonable?

Re "it's the way it is" if everyone takes that view no pointless law would ever change would they?

Re "With everything else wrong in this world this doesn't make the list."  some of us can walk and chew gum at the same time - suggesting that because there are bigger issues elsewhere in the world means smaller issues should not be addressed locally essentially says, on a global scale, only one issue at a time can be addressed, so what is it going to be? Chinese concentration camps, or the Russian invasion of Ukraine, or do you have another favourite?  let us know so we can all freeze in place until that issue is sorted...

I don't think you can compare everyday consumable items such as eggs or bottled water with items that have restrictions of sale to minors not only in Thailand but all over the world e.g. alcohol, cigarettes , drugs, guns etc. 

On 3/19/2022 at 12:42 PM, Haole.TH said:

There's a liquor store in CM (up by the canal - not moat) that sells during the 2-5 pm ban period.  Not sure how they get away with this but it is nice to be able to go pick up a bottle of wine or bottle of Tequila when you want.  Alleviates going in high traffic times after 5pm too!

I just got back from 2 and a half weeks in CM, and every location we stayed at had a small sundry shop where u could buy beer without anyone batting so much as an eyelid. Only chains like 7-E and Lotus, etc won't sell u during the afternoon period.

Edited by brownronin

Up until today Villa seemed to circumvent the laws, & I could buy alcohol outside of the times.

Went in at 3.30pm, nope, red string surrounding the aisles.

Beer tonight then...🙄

14 minutes ago, Faraday said:

Up until today Villa seemed to circumvent the laws, & I could buy alcohol outside of the times.

Went in at 3.30pm, nope, red string surrounding the aisles.

Beer tonight then...🙄

What's up with the vino el calapso?

On 3/18/2022 at 10:38 AM, Pinetree said:

It has never been an issue for me, not ever.  If people  can't plan their day and shopping to fit the hours, then they are sad indeed. If they are that desperate,  they can go to a bar or restaurant where the hours don't normally matter (post and pre covid that is)  . 

or to just  a small local store where the restrictions do not apply 😊

• Like 1

On 3/18/2022 at 11:02 AM, Pinetree said:

Maybe it is a silly, illogical rule, but the fact that it gets so much negative comment on this forum is very sad.  So many upset people, just because they can't buy alcohol for just 3 short hours during the day.  Can't they see how pathetic that is?  Obviously not. 

No

On 3/18/2022 at 3:48 AM, DoUKnowWhoIAm said:

We always go shopping during these hours,very annoying not to be able to buy wine.

Exactly - many a time I've been merrily pushing my trolley around Tescos without a care in the world before setting eyes on the dreaded chain across the wine dept, which is usually proceeded by fuuccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkk !!!! Ultra annoying.

Though oddly Villa Market do not have to adhere to the ban.

• Like 3

On 3/18/2022 at 4:02 AM, Pinetree said:

Maybe it is a silly, illogical rule, but the fact that it gets so much negative comment on this forum is very sad.  So many upset people, just because they can't buy alcohol for just 3 short hours during the day.  Can't they see how pathetic that is?  Obviously not. 

It's inconvenient - it's not because everyone is a raging alcoholic. 

• Like 1

On 3/18/2022 at 4:58 AM, Noble_Design said:

But they can buy it from thousands of mom and pop shops - it is only the big players that stop selling it. Utterly ludicrous law.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Benroon said:

It's inconvenient - it's not because everyone is a raging alcoholic. 

If its just 'inconvenient' why is there so much irritation and angst recorded on here. Sure it can be inconvenient, but so much negative comment is surprising. 

29 minutes ago, Benroon said:

But they can buy it from thousands of mom and pop shops - it is only the big players that stop selling it. Utterly ludicrous law.

Well those mom and pop shops have an advantage where their sales aren't recorded in the form of receipts unlike malls or 7-11. No receipt = no incriminating evidence.

It isn't meant to totally solve the underage drinking problems but rather one of the methods to reduce/mitigate it. It certainly isn't as ridiculous as the Prohibition in the US

The other law that needs to be repealed is the one banning bars within 300metres of education centres. . Thats 300m from the perimeter  so with some universities having  very  large estates thats a big dry area.