News Forum - Alcohol lobby groups call for 2pm – 5pm booze sales ban to be lifted

Thaiger

51 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

LOL, the 2pm - 5pm alcohol ban seems to not affect you too much...

4:32PM and you're already drunk...

Heard of several like you in Pattaya, most of them ended up joining the "Pattaya Flying Club". Be careful and seek professional help my friend. It's never too late. 

<deleted>

A farang who hates farangs. If you would look into the mirror you would understand the differences me and you. We have often such encounters people like you as my friend just a week ago in a restaurant sitting one farang beside him and told him how bad the farangs are til my friend told him that his father is a farang and if he want to insult his family and this guy get a fast and left. Guys like you not realize who is mixed and how many millions are of them in Thailand. Maybe you should watch mor Thai tv movies to understand. Some could not so friendly like my friend or me and you could get quickly a punch. And you as Russian why you not go back to your beloved Putin? 

Would be interesting what exactly you are doing in Thailand!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Noble_Design said:

There are many 7-11 shops near schools in the city center. 

Also this move is called a blanket ban presumably to ease the burden of shop employees from having to check every single customer's ID to confirm their age. Without this ban, school teenagers could have changed their clothes to pass off as adults when trying to purchase alcohol, or use fake IDs or have some older people buy for them. 

But with this ban the opportunity to purchase alcohol greatly diminishes. Granted this ban isn't a fool-proof method, but more towards mitigating the problem.

I am sure that there are many 7/11s near schools but I am just not buying into the idea that this is the reason for the 3 hour stall in sales. I don't have any children going to schools in Thailand but as far  as I can ascertain the children only go to schools for about 8 months a year and when they go the hours are 8ish till 3.30ish which is when the ban is mostly in affect.

And asking for proof of identity is not a problem as all Thais carry an ID card on their person at all times, infact my wife gets asked for hers many a time when purchasing goods from 7/11.

I think pinetree was nearer the mark when he stated "Because it's Thailand, their country,  their rules." And that is what most of us have been saying from the start. There isn't any sensible reason for the prohibition.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Stardust said:

A farang who hates farangs. If you would look into the mirror you would understand the differences me and you. We have often such encounters people like you as my friend just a week ago in a restaurant sitting one farang beside him and told him how bad the farangs are til my friend told him that his father is a farang and if he want to insult his family and this guy get a fast and left. Guys like you not realize who is mixed and how many millions are of them in Thailand. Maybe you should watch mor Thai tv movies to understand. Some could not so friendly like my friend or me and you could get quickly a punch. And you as Russian why you not go back to your beloved Putin? 

Would be interesting what exactly you are doing in Thailand!

I'm not Russian, lol. 

Are you French?? 

<content deleted as off-topic nonsense>

Edited by KaptainRob
Stay on topic and observe the rules please.

30 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

I'm not Russian, lol. 

Are you French??

You still not get it really? I said watch thai tv movies then you know what I was talking about! And I said watch in the mirror and you would understand the differences! I guess you never saw a school from inside.

You are not Thai or have one part of the parents is Thai, do you understand the differences??!!!

But what expect from sombody who hates himself not realize it, because he forgot to look in the mirror! 

Edited by Faz
edited quote

29 minutes ago, Stardust said:

You still not get it really? I said watch thai tv movies then you know what I was talking about! And I said watch in the mirror and you would understand the differences! I guess you never saw a school from inside.

You are not Thai or have one part of the parents is Thai, do you understand the differences??!!!

But what expect from sombody who hates himself not realize it, because he forgot to look in the mirror! 

What school did you see from the inside? . That's what you do here in Thailand??? Oh, your job is so important, being a punter.

"People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones"

Edited by Smithydog
Disparaging personal remark removed

Hi guys,

As much as two people throwing taunts at each other can cause others amusement, I would much prefer if we return to discussing the topic at hand, rather than the characteristics of each other!

Let's shake hands and move forward.👍

Thanks

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Marble-eye said:

The fact of the matter is someone is dictating when you can or cannot buy alcohol, that alone reeks of control by an authoritarian body.

Those who like to buy a bottle of booze are governed by the licencing hours, you may want to do a bit of shopping but are deterred because you cannot buy your favourite bottle of plonk at the same time, so your life is ruled by unnecessary decisions made by some crackpot sat in their ivory tower. It may be a trivial matter to some but remember that from small acorns giant oak trees can grow, that is to say that these trivial matters might be something bigger the next day, and so on.

Don't allow governing bodies to take our liberties no matter how small you may think they are and remember the reason you cannot buy alcohol between the hours of 2pm and 5pm is "because it's law", stupid law anyone?

You mentioned dictating! The regime and others are so anal about alcohol that they have a strict censorship on picture taking  of it

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Grumpish said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Thailand

Estimated at over 20% for 2019 - probably actually quite hard to get an accurate figure, as quite a lot will go into the black economy and can only be guessed at. 

Ah estimated eh? I estimate that I look better from the back but I dont actually know...........😃

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Thaiger said:

As Thai laws go, it’s one of the more confusing ones, as evidenced by the sight of frowning tourists scratching their heads as they stand in front of a 7 Eleven fridge at the wrong time of day. In Thailand, alcoholic drinks can be sold from 11am to 2pm and from 5pm to midnight. If you fancy a couple of take-home beers from the supermarket between the hours of 2pm and 5pm, or you need to buy a bottle of wine for dinner later, you’re all out of luck. Now, the Thai Alcohol Beverage Business Association is calling for the […]

The story Alcohol lobby groups call for 2pm – 5pm booze sales ban to be lifted as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I for one cannot really fathom the purpose of this sales restriction. If someone wants to buy booze, one can do so outside the blocked time, so this blockage does not do much to cut down consumption (well, only if one spontaneously decides to have a drink between 2-5 pm. I don't think that this is the time of the day where a lot of people consume a lot of alcohol; typically the drinking starts after 5 pm.  

A law not serving a useful purpose should be scrapped, so getting this thing away wouldn't make my life (eben in Thailand) much, much netter gut a bit easier. As for the claim that getting rid of this Act would generate billions of additional Baht I remain sceptical: probably most of that money would have been spent anyway, Just before or after those blocking hours.

I agree that this restriction is ridiculous. But, alcohol laws exist most places in the world. Some make sense (sale to minors); most do not...

I was living in Thailand when this law was enacted. Villa continued to sell within these hours for quite some time until they were ratted out by other grocery chains.

Petrol stations along major routes do not sell alcohol; but you can convince the ma and pa food stalls in the complex to dig a Chang out of their bin with the right amount of finesse.

Several states in the US still have dry counties influenced by the church; kind of like the restriction on Buddhist holidays in Thailand?

Bar closing times anyone? State liquor or package stores for the hard stuff?

And for the Thailand ban on election day, maybe we would be better off if we were all drunk on that day! 🤪

12 hours ago, Pinetree said:

It has never been an issue for me, not ever.  If people  can't plan their day and shopping to fit the hours, then they are sad indeed. If they are that desperate,  they can go to a bar or restaurant where the hours don't normally matter (post and pre covid that is)  . 

I prefer to do my shopping earlier in the morning, as soon as Lotus's and Central food are open. Less customers and that gives me the rest of the day free to do whatever I want. Doesn't mean I drink alcohol that early, even seldom before sunset (and then more like a glass of wine).
So for me it would be better if I could buy my wine earlier than 11 am. Never do my shopping between 1400 and 1700.

7 hours ago, Pinetree said:

Because it's Thailand, their country,  their rules. 

Yes and No...... May be you need to experience more! Just a little...

8 hours ago, Transam said:

If kids are the reason, it just shows that the authorities do not trust Thai outlets to not sell booze to kids.

Sixteen entertainment establishments are calling on the government to scrap a law, introduced by a military junta in 1972, which bans the sale of alcoholic beverages between 2pm and 5pm.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailands-liquor-vendors-want-2-5pm-alcohol-sales-ban-revoked/

Closest mention of when this law came into being. The Alcohol Act of 2008 has no mention of it.

I reckon the Thai Junta brought it in to keep the troops sober and in control in the heat of the day. Wanted them productive in the afternoon. Though that wouldn’t stop them having a lunchtime sesh.

45 minutes ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

I reckon the Thai Junta brought it in to keep the troops sober and in control in the heat of the day. Wanted them productive in the afternoon.

1972, was Vietnam war era, I get it "the troops" may extend to visiting ones, LOL🙂

36 minutes ago, Thaidup said:

1972, was Vietnam war era, I get it "the troops" may extend to visiting ones, LOL🙂

Huh? I'm about on the 90's here and then living here and now never go anywhere. No, not a soldier but my first days here which some of many were in Patpong with soldiers and the old time Patpong boxing ring that were sooooo wild. Patpong back then was an animal, and it was 24 hours for non stop drinking fun if that is what you did and wanted. Well, it was off the hook and no alcohol pussy restrictions, and so a real fun world not messed up with time restraints. We livein a totaly diferent world now. Bummer.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Poolie said:

Ah estimated eh? I estimate that I look better from the back but I dont actually know...........😃

Perhaps you would care to share the source of your obviously far more accurate information on the contribution of tourism to Thailand's GDP, instead of dismissing everyone else's with yet another vacuous one-liner? 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Noble_Design said:

Every country has certain laws for a reason even though you or others may think it is unnecessary. Take for example another nearby country Singapore which enacted some new laws regarding  sales and consumption of alcohol after the 2013 Little India riots.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/what-you-can-or-cannot-do-under-the-new-alcohol-law

So the laws in Thailand is not without precedence nor reason.

These types of law pander to the lowest common denominator... those that abuse them.  Try enforcing the laws already in place to deal with these miscreants instead of lowering the standard for everyone else.

4 hours ago, Faraday said:

How does Villa get around this law, one can buy alcohol in there all day?

Really? Even between 2pm and 5pm?
It might be on display, but if they sold it during the prohibited times, it would appear on your itemised receipt along with the time, allowing themselves liable to prosecution.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Marble-eye said:

I am sure that there are many 7/11s near schools but I am just not buying into the idea that this is the reason for the 3 hour stall in sales. I don't have any children going to schools in Thailand but as far  as I can ascertain the children only go to schools for about 8 months a year and when they go the hours are 8ish till 3.30ish which is when the ban is mostly in affect.

And asking for proof of identity is not a problem as all Thais carry an ID card on their person at all times, infact my wife gets asked for hers many a time when purchasing goods from 7/11.

I think pinetree was nearer the mark when he stated "Because it's Thailand, their country,  their rules." And that is what most of us have been saying from the start. There isn't any sensible reason for the prohibition.

Also it doesn’t just apply to convenience stores; it’s supposed to be all alcohol sales. Most restaurants in malls won’t serve beer between 2 and 5. So spare the excuse it’s to save CP GROUP employees from Checking IDs. Also do kids magically only try to buy alcohol between 2 and 5pm? 

You're absolutely right that the only justification for the rule is that it’s a rule. 

Edited by JJJ
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Poolie said:

20% eh? Strange, it was around 6% pre-covid and now it's hiked to 20%?

Argue with the Thai Govt about the figures, they are the figures they quote.

• Like 1

There's a liquor store in CM (up by the canal - not moat) that sells during the 2-5 pm ban period.  Not sure how they get away with this but it is nice to be able to go pick up a bottle of wine or bottle of Tequila when you want.  Alleviates going in high traffic times after 5pm too!

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Politenessman said:

Argue with the Thai Govt about the figures, they are the figures they quote.

Unfortunately, you appear to have confused me with someone who gives a flying fart. My issue is with people who do, and are therefore complicit in the lies.