News Forum - Alcohol lobby groups call for 2pm – 5pm booze sales ban to be lifted

Thaiger

1 hour ago, Pinetree said:

Maybe it is a silly, illogical rule, but the fact that it gets so much negative comment on this forum is very sad.  So many upset people, just because they can't buy alcohol for just 3 short hours during the day.  Can't they see how pathetic that is?  Obviously no

While I agree that most can plan around it, the very fact that the government makes a rule we all have to live by that serves no purpose is reason enough to repeal it.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stardust said:

You really think everybody in Thailand is on retiremebt and have no family to organize? Nothing else to do just the whole day than shopping? Wow 

If you are not retired, what are you doing wandering around shops in the middle of the afternoon looking for booze, shouldn't you be working? 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Noble_Design said:

Me too. Seems like some people just want Thailand to change the laws just for the sake of their own convenience. As if alcohol buying is a daily duty that inconveniences them so much if they can't do it at whatever time they want.

Perhaps you missed the fact that the proposal came from the “Thai Alcohol Beverage Business Association”—not a group of farangs. 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

If you are not retired, what are you doing wandering around shops in the middle of the afternoon looking for booze, shouldn't you be working? 

Many working people use Saturday and Sunday afternoons for such tasks. Or brunch. And tourists often have such free time. 

On a side note, I don’t know many restaurants outside of the malls that follow the rule. Never go to a late lunch at the mall. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pinetree said:

words fail me. I'm done with this post  

ie you can't come up with a reasonable explanation as to why you think that someone should plan their day around a window to purchase consumer items that they can literally buy by the tanker load outside that 3 hr window.

Perhaps it would be better to consider making reasoned arguments in future?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Pinetree said:

Pinetree, 

The very fact that the law serves no purpose is cause for its repeal.  The fact that someone is retired or shops routinely between 2pm and 5pm is irrelevant. 

We have enough "laws" that serve some purpose.  We sure don't need more laws that someone thought were necessary that don't do anything other than make our lives more difficult.  Though the 2 pm to 5pm ban in terms of being ludicrous is far milder than in the USA in the state of Connecticut which has the following laws still in force. 

biking over 65 mph, walking backward after sunset, crossing the street while walking on your hands, educating dogs, or for a beautician to sing, hum, or whistle while attending to a customer.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

Amazing how some peeps love telling other folks how they should schedule their lives.  Not sure why you care when others shop?  Super proud of you that you can schedule your shopping time around this three hour window!  Curious if these three hours the only hours that stop teenagers from purchasing alcohol during the rest of the day?  I’m guessing if some teenagers really want to get some, they will somehow.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Dancbmac said:

Amazing how some peeps love telling other folks how they should schedule their lives.  Not sure why you care when others shop?  Super proud of you that you can schedule your shopping time around this three hour window!  Curious if these three hours the only hours that stop teenagers from purchasing alcohol during the rest of the day?  I’m guessing if some teenagers really want to get some, they will somehow.

You have totally misread and misunderstood my posts, not surprising on this, or on any other forum.  Read them again mate. I was commenting, if you had bothered to read the post correctly, that anyone who finds that 3 hours of closed shop a day screws up their lives is behaving like a deprived teenager.  I don't care one jot how others live their lives, but reading such drivel as, their  life is far worse because they can't buy  alcohol during that short 3 hours in the day time is frankly pathetic.  If they can't plan their lives better than that, it's a wonder that such people can walk and talk at the same time. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Dancbmac said:

Yes anyone can go to a mom and pops shop and get it and ni ID required. The restriction is arsenine and absurd. I am suprised they never made it law that you are not allowed to be drunk or drinking during those hours.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

I am suprised they never made it law that you are not allowed to be drunk or drinking during those hours.

nah, would have to lock up half the population if they did that.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Noble_Design said:

Me too. Seems like some people just want Thailand to change the laws just for the sake of their own convenience. As if alcohol buying is a daily duty that inconveniences them so much if they can't do it at whatever time they want.

Thailand has 20% of GDP reliant on tourism. so yes, they might want to change some of their more pointless laws that annoy tourists .

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, palooka said:

nah, would have to lock up half the population if they did that.

Yeah but at least sniffing glue doesn't count.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Politenessman said:

Thailand has 20% of GDP reliant on tourism. so yes, they might want to change some of their more pointless laws that annoy tourists .

20% eh? Strange, it was around 6% pre-covid and now it's hiked to 20%?

11 minutes ago, Politenessman said:

Not sure on the 20%. But sounds good to me.

21 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

You have totally misread and misunderstood my posts, not surprising on this, or on any other forum.  Read them again mate. I was commenting, if you had bothered to read the post correctly, that anyone who finds that 3 hours of closed shop a day screws up their lives is behaving like a deprived teenager.  I don't care one jot how others live their lives, but reading such drivel as, their  life is far worse because they can't buy  alcohol during that short 3 hours in the day time is frankly pathetic.  If they can't plan their lives better than that, it's a wonder that such people can walk and talk at the same time. 

I think that you are reading the posts on here only to reply and not to understand.

I am sure everybody on here could work around the 3 hour prohibition, but there again why should they. Have you ever heard of the expression 'freedom of choice', the government has made a futile law that helps no-one, infact it is counterproductive, it certainly doesn't help schools, the children are mostly at school during the ban the booze period. It doesn't help the govt, infact I would suggest that they are losing money because of it. It doesn't help tourists who may like a beer during the restrictive closure times. There doesn't appear to be a sensible reason for shuttering up during those periods.

Maybe the government are only doing it, because they can.

• Like 3

I am not too phased by the restrictions but the questions we have to ask always about any law is what is its purpose and is it achieving its purpose?

If the law is to prevent school children from purchasing alcohol then surely the requirement to be over 20 does that. But are there other reasons?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NoFax said:

I am not too phased by the restrictions but the questions we have to ask always about any law is what is its purpose and is it achieving its purpose?

If the law is to prevent school children from purchasing alcohol then surely the requirement to be over 20 does that. But are there other reasons?

There isn't any reason apart to give the conforming temperance movement on here a chance to have a go at posters who question such Draconian measures.🍺🍷🍾

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pinetree said:

I am talking about Thailand that includes all, if I am talking about myself I would ask " do you think I have nothing else to do" ! Do you understand the difference ????

34 minutes ago, Poolie said:

20% eh? Strange, it was around 6% pre-covid and now it's hiked to 20%?

Maybe on your ccp chinese fake news chanel, it was in the real world 20%. The paralell universe of your master Xi is not the same world. Yes we understood only what Xi say can be true and not any western media 😅🤣😂

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Stardust said:

Maybe on your ccp chinese fake news chanel, it was in the real world 20%. The paralell universe of your master Xi is not the same world. Yes we understood only what Xi say can be true and not any western media 😅🤣😂

LOL, the 2pm - 5pm alcohol ban seems to not affect you too much...

4:32PM and you're already drunk...

Heard of several like you in Pattaya, most of them ended up joining the "Pattaya Flying Club". Be careful and seek professional help my friend. It's never too late. 

<deleted>

Edited by KaptainRob
Disparaging suggestion deleted
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Sparktrader said:

LOL, the 2pm - 5pm alcohol ban seems to not affect you too much...

4:32PM and you're already drunk...

Heard of several like you in Pattaya, most of them ended up joining the "Pattaya Flying Club". Be careful and seek professional help my friend. It's never too late. Let me leave you a link. 

https://www.aathailand.org

On your answer I can see your intelligence level 😅🤣😂

By the way when it is not weekend or holiday I live in Bangkok 😅🤣😂 and you what you do in Thailand?! 

Just now, Stardust said:

On your answer I can see your intelligence level 😅🤣😂

By the way when it is not weekend or holiday I live in Bangkok 😅🤣😂 and you what you do in Thailand?! 

In my free time I enjoy walking through several Thai cities, watching the kind of farangs that make it here. For me it's like going to the zoo, ah, nature is amazing 😉

3 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

Because it's Thailand, their country,  their rules. 

So no logical reason then, got it!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Marble-eye said:

But the point being if a schoolchild comes into your local 7/11 and asks for a crate of Leo the simple answer is to say 'no'. But I am of the belief that the schoolchildren excuse is a very poor excuse as there are many 7/11s no where near schools.

There are many 7-11 shops near schools in the city center. 

Also this move is called a blanket ban presumably to ease the burden of shop employees from having to check every single customer's ID to confirm their age. Without this ban, school teenagers could have changed their clothes to pass off as adults when trying to purchase alcohol, or use fake IDs or have some older people buy for them. 

But with this ban the opportunity to purchase alcohol greatly diminishes. Granted this ban isn't a fool-proof method, but more towards mitigating the problem.

3 hours ago, JJJ said:

Perhaps you missed the fact that the proposal came from the “Thai Alcohol Beverage Business Association”—not a group of farangs. 

In the context of the news yes the proposal came from that Association. Of course it goes without saying that the Thai Alcohol Beverage Business Association would welcome any proposal that would go towards the benefits of their members i.e. increasing alcohol sales/consumption. 

When I mention people, I'm talking specifically about the few forumers here who are supporting this proposal for their own personal pleasure. But I also didn't say that they are farangs, unless you feel subconsciously guilty about it.

1 hour ago, Politenessman said:

I'm sure only a handful of those 20% GDP contributors are actually annoyed with this law.