News Forum - Carl’s Jr. says goodbye to Thailand, stores in Bangkok and Pattaya close next week

Thaiger

2 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

And if you make your own, then keep it to grass fed with no antibiotics or hormones injected. Also black list all processed meats like ham and bolgna, prosciutto etc, and most breads not baked naturall. Farm house bread is not even healthy as it is made with saturated fats and sugars. So where do we really draw the line? Not getting on you but just saying health is all in the mind and how far you want to take it. BTW. We do infact make our own burgers at home. Sometimes we buy beef and chop or grind it oursleves.

There is one problem you mention when being in Thailand with regards to Farang food: most of it is sort of fake. Like the stuff they brand as "Mozzarella" has nothing much in common with the Mozzarella you'd buy in Italy. "Prosciutto" is the Italian word for ham, and the stuff that is sold in TH has not much in common with the real thing (unless imported from Italy which is prohibitive price wise).

I do my own bread and pasta and pizza dough at home and that is so much better that what the food industry is selling (and cheaper too). But difficult to get good indegredients when in Thailand and I do some "Farang"-cooking for my extended Thai family.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Fundok said:

There is one problem you mention when being in Thailand with regards to Farang food: most of it is sort of fake. Like the stuff they brand as "Mozzarella" has nothing much in common with the Mozzarella you'd buy in Italy. "Prosciutto" is the Italian word for ham, and the stuff that is sold in TH has not much in common with the real thing (unless imported from Italy which is prohibitive price wise).

I do my own bread and pasta and pizza dough at home and that is so much better that what the food industry is selling (and cheaper too). But difficult to get good indegredients when in Thailand and I do some "Farang"-cooking for my extended Thai family.

I was inferring processed meats, and this still is a safety concern whether has chemical presrvatives or such as cured with heavy salt. I do agree that making it yourself at home is far better than store bought stuff. We are on the same level of thinking here. Besides it is also fun to create your own foods and more gratifying. That is why I put in a stand up alone oven range in my home. Can even bake a turkey.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

For here in Thailand very little if none for the msot part. But maybe for the fat little spoilt rich snot kid. And more than anything this kid was made into a crying stomping little temper tantrum brat from an early age byt his parents, and then by his parents giving him or her everything. My kids and family there is a balance, and this food is pratically not ever in our lives..

Everytime I walk past McDonalds at my local shopping mall, I see at the very least 25% of the seats are taken with several people queuing to order. Other times, such as weekends, seats are taken up to 75%. So I would say it is more than just a few.

35 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Everytime I walk past McDonalds at my local shopping mall, I see at the very least 25% of the seats are taken with several people queuing to order. Other times, such as weekends, seats are taken up to 75%. So I would say it is more than just a few.

Come on, on the surface it looks big, but reality is 25% of seats that Thai folk sitting for 20 -30 minutes to pass time equals didly squat. A lot of times it is French fries on a special sale ( buy 1 get 1 free), but even that uses hydrogenated oil so it is really bad. Please do not try to blow it up into something bigger than nothing because it is not. I will give you they survive here because of sales, but the inflated costs help them to survive, and it also makes me think if the ole government doesn't extend them import and general tax breaks just to have them here and say they are so worldly. The % of Thai that actually eat it on a regular basis is very very miniscule. How many millions of folk here? Because so expensive even me would not eat there on a regular thing. Besides, for me could not hack eating it too much, but I do like a good whopper Big Mac or cheese burger and fries if they are fresh and hot on the occasional time. 

Just now, HolyCowCm said:

Come on, on the surfacxe it looks big, but reality is 25% of seats that Thai folk sitting for 20 -30 minutes to pass time equals didly squat. A lot of times it is french fries on a special sale ( buy 1 get 1 free), but even that uses hydrogenated oil so it is reallly bad. Please do not try to blow it up into something bigger than nothing because it is not. I wil give you they survive here because of sales, but the inflated costs help them to survie, and it also makes me think if the ole government doesn't extend them import and general tax breaks just to have them here and say they are so worldly. The % of Thai that actually eat it on a regualr basis is very very miniscule. How many millions of folk here? Because so expensive even me would not eat there on a regular thing. Besides, for me could not hack eating it too much, but I do like a good whopper or cheese burger and fries if they are fresh and hot on an occasional time. 

But why are there so many Thai fat people, provided Thai food is pretty healthy. 

Sure you can't reach those levels of obesity eating Pad Thai, even if you ate tons of it everyday :P 

Besides, I once read a study that stated that in some Asian countries like Vietnam, or Philipines or China, people on average ate 25% more calories daily than in the US. But obesity rate was 5% compared to 35% in the US. So clearly not everything is about calories, rather quality of food.

Edited by Sparktrader

10 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

But why are there so many Thai fat people, provided Thai food is pretty healthy. 

Sure you can't reach those levels of obesity eating Pad Thai, even if you ate tons of it everyday :P 

Besides, I once read a study that stated that in some Asian countries like Vietnam, or Philipines or China, people on average ate 25% more calories daily than in the US. But obesity rate was 5% compared to 35% in the US. So clearly not everything is about calories, rather quality of food.

Thai are notorious for eating very fatty or almost pure fat pork. Soft drinks like over sugary EST also play a huge role complicated with in general Thai do not exercise. USA has a huge problem as well, but Thai, how many Thai do you know actually exercise? So in essence, it is not fast food in general as this is minimal, but high sugary sodas, huge fat induced meat like pork, and, well I guess I could make a list starting from now or should. when I was a kid and young adult I ate fast food a lot but I was always outside active and burned it off. Now? Cell/Mobile phones social media? Times have changed and the general population is lazy.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Transam said:

Thai food is healthy....?.....🤔

Yeah... I mean Japanese food is healthy but Thai food... 🤭

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

It is really not apples to apples and so forth. Lots of variables and reasons why. I could compile a huge list off of my head and post it. BTW. I have lived in Thailand for decades now and am still in my later 50's, but I keep my stuff relativley in shape as run. But, I do eat fast food sometimes, now on zero fat milk (getting old), and separate the fat from meats as do not eat it. For late 50's, I am doing pretty darn strong, but agina this takes effort. Oh. and when I drink alcohol I drink a lot and this is every week. Maybe like now just starting the Friday.. Not perfect, but all societies in general have their slackers.

7 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

I was inferring processed meats, and this still is a safety concern whether has chemical presrvatives or such as cured with heavy salt. I do agree that making it yourself at home is far better than store bought stuff. We are on the same level of thinking here. Besides it is also fun to create your own foods and more gratifying. That is why I put in a stand up alone oven range in my home. Can even bake a turkey.

"That is why I put in a stand up alone oven range in my home. Can even bake a turkey."

Sounds great. And lot of fun doing your own sourdough bread or pizza (not to forget poultry and other meats) in an oven. During the Covid lockdown I did much more home-made cooking than ever before and this has been both a joyful and delicious experience.

• Like 3

I can just about remember thailand pre fast food outlets.

You rarely saw an overweight local in those times.

most of the obese heffers you saw about the place were western tourists.

Nowadays you see more fat ass locals about than you can shake a tub of lard at.

• Like 2

On 3/19/2022 at 8:40 AM, Cathat said:

I can just about remember thailand pre fast food outlets.

You rarely saw an overweight local in those times.

most of the obese heffers you saw about the place were western tourists.

Nowadays you see more fat ass locals about than you can shake a tub of lard at.

How heavy is the tub of lard?😀

Plenty of studies have shown highly processed foods, fast food and an increased sugar intake have caused an increase in obesity and dietary problems with Thai's over the past few decades.   Lack of exercise among urban and city folk has also contributed.

22 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

Plenty of studies have shown highly processed foods, fast food and an increased sugar intake have caused an increase in obesity and dietary problems with Thai's over the past few decades.   Lack of exercise among urban and city folk has also contributed.

While sat in front of a television/computer/phone/video game.   Grab/Panda delivery services makes sedentary life that much easier.   

Bright spot I've noticed over the past 3 or so years of COVID, is a general increase in the number of Thais out exercising in and around my & nearby moo baans, including more parents riding bikes or walking around the track with their kids.  Not meandering, rather, putting in a good effort, round and round they go.  One Thai teen I noticed was visibly overweight 2 years ago.  Joined his (slim) Mom for brisk walking 3 to 4 times a week and has made a lot of progress.  Nice to see this trend has (seemed to) caught on.

• Like 2

On 3/18/2022 at 4:55 PM, Sparktrader said:

Simple, because Thais like their food swimming in oil and with a cup full of sugar. (When they’re not in fast food restaurants) 

Macdonalds is a modern day cancer that spreads it’s shite around the world and are actually proud of it! There will always be a price to pay health wise if you don’t eat good food. 

Cancer rates were always quoted as 1 in 3 when I was growing up - now it’s 1 in 2 despite the huge advances in medical technology. The manic desire for cheap and fast food with all the associated toxic chemicals will probably have something to do with that imo