News Forum - Survival Guide: Top taboos gifts NOT to buy a Thai…

Thaiger

Thailand is a country full of superstitions. While the majority of Thais believe in spirits, others live in fear of some fairly strange myths. Even the most forward-thinking, city-dwelling Thais have their doubts. Giving gifts is a tricky matter, and it’s all too simple to get it wrong. Instead of being romantic and sweet, you may be stepping into the wrong territory. There are a variety of items that are considered bad luck in Thailand, especially if it’s for a loved one or a close friend. There’s also an array of traditional ceremonial items that, although appealing, are inappropriate as […]

The story Survival Guide: Top taboos gifts NOT to buy a Thai… as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

No perfume ??

Are you sure of your sources ?? all my (female) friends request perfume every time I travel to Europe !! My wife even "stole" (:-)) mine !!

True that some Thais tend to overthink things like in these cases, but I’ve seen this behavior mostly from older generation folks, not so much the younger ones. While grandparents and some parents babble on about these superstitions, the young people don’t seem to mind, especially when offered an expensive gift. 

I bought my wife a secondhand ironing board in reasonable condition off Craigslist for last Valentines Day and was she grateful, was she heck.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In answer to "What's your take?", here's mine that follows the spirit (quite literally in a figurative sense ;-) of the article:

Whichever city you visit, there are many spots with lots of discarded spirit houses. How about picking one up and gifting it to a Thai friend? 

It's a beautiful gift and as a bonus: it's free!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Pi_Tim said:

No perfume ??

Are you sure of your sources ?? all my (female) friends request perfume every time I travel to Europe !! My wife even "stole" (:-)) mine !!

Yes it is an old superstition. I gave know about this one for near 30 years now. Another thing I heard is perfume also makes other people attracted to your g-friend or loved one and that is not good. 

3 hours ago, DoUKnowWhoIAm said:

It's all rubbish. Never seen or heard any of this.

I have known of every one except glass and pictures. But just don’t do the ceremony flowers.  

We were talking about this the other day

I met my wife and either the 2nd or 3rd time going back to see her, I bought a few things from Victoria Secrets

But not lingerie, I would never do that

It was pajamas and loungewear

But I could see her reluctance when I gave her the boxes, she was shy thinking I bought her lingerie 5555

You could also try buying your girlfriend a random Buddha amulet from the local street vendor.

Another popular gift would be to give her a horoscope foreseeing her future.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Johnnyb2 said:

You could also try buying your girlfriend a random Buddha amulet from the local street vendor.

Another popular gift would be to give her a horoscope foreseeing her future.

Unless I put them in a Luis Vuitton bag, she don't give a shit about those 5555

I regularly see someone who adheres to this superstition, but it's not taken all that seriously. If you think a Thai girl is going to reject a bottle of Chanel perfume black Prada dress because of superstition then you're very wrong.

In fact there's an "out" for these things. If you give someone a little bit of money (a few baht) then there's no bad luck because it wasn't a gift - you "bought" it.