News Forum - Market vendor runs stray dog programme, colour-coded collars to indicate friendliness

Thaiger

Stray dog populations have been a longstanding issue in Thailand, but a flower seller at a market in the central province Samut Songkram saw a way to make the dogs part of the community and created a project to help take care of the dogs in the area. Now each dog has a name and is marked with a collar showing if they are friendly or aggressive. Using a stoplight colour-coded system, collars were put on each of the stray dogs around the Meaklong Market to identify if a dog is friendly or aggressive. Green collars show the dogs are […]

The story Market vendor runs stray dog programme, colour-coded collars to indicate friendliness as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

I have read this article, and I have my concerns.

people might think this is a very good idea with the color coding but my experience tells me:

1) stray dogs are unpredictable. They can be friendly one day, and next day they might be aggressive due to dehydration, hunger or been annoyed. Color coded them will further confused the public .

2) I disagree with the collar. Strays tend to get disease as they are not owned by anyone. By putting collar on the dog, chances of them get infection later will be very high. Chances of getting fleas infection will be very high around their necks, unless the authority will check on them occasionally which I doubt due to the numbers.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

Stray dog populations have been a longstanding issue in Thailand, but a flower seller at a market in the central province Samut Songkram saw a way to make the dogs part of the community and created a project to help take care of the dogs in the area. Now each dog has a name and is marked with a collar showing if they are friendly or aggressive. Using a stoplight colour-coded system, collars were put on each of the stray dogs around the Meaklong Market to identify if a dog is friendly or aggressive. Green collars show the dogs are […]

The story Market vendor runs stray dog programme, colour-coded collars to indicate friendliness as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

If not a green collar, surely an injection is the answer.

• Like 2

It's great he's proactive and is providing some care. Hopefully he'll get some help.

We have a temple here that takes in unwanted dogs. They're well treated. He frequently ask for dog food, so we bring several large bags. I think the vendor gives my wife a special price because he knows where we will take the food.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Might be able to use this color code system in some girly bars.

Or for politicians in the next election …. Colour coded dependant on how honest or truthful they are. Maybe also collar gives an electric shock when it detects them lying.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

Or for politicians in the next election …. Colour coded dependant on how honest or truthful they are. Maybe also collar gives an electric shock when it detects them lying.

Politicians there should be 2 colors as in black and red, and then they will have to wear a giant size pendant mood rock around their neck. 

13 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Politicians there should be 2 colors as in black and red, and then they will have to wear a giant size pendant mood rock around their neck. 

And go swimming?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Sarisin said:

So how does this deal with the ever growing stray dog population?

It's called community building... works for any number of variants... ie. farangs, dogs, children, etc.

Accept them as part of your community and good things happen... don't accept them and you die a miserable old man.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Might be able to use this color code system in some girly bars. Just need to add a few more colors. 

Yeah but I don’t think the red collar would mean angry 😉

8 hours ago, Skip said:

It's called community building... works for any number of variants... ie. farangs, dogs, children, etc.

Accept them as part of your community and good things happen... don't accept them and you die a miserable old man.

Love it 👍🏻

21 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Read the full story

Good idea. Market vendors should also have color coding. Those with Farang Pricing and those who have one price fits all pricing

• Like 1