Motorbike license

21 hours ago, Faz said:

It doesn't cover rented motorcycles either, that requires a separate policy.

Exactly and nobody gets that coverage anyway when renting a bike for 200 THB or so per day.

30 minutes ago, Alex2345 said:

Exactly and nobody gets that coverage anyway when renting a bike for 200 THB or so per day.

So you're fully aware that if involved in a serious accident where you are deemed to be at fault, you're not covered by any Insurance. The hirer will be claiming for repair to his motorcycle, and you'll be footing your own medical expenses, yet you're still prepared to take that risk - in Thailand.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Faz said:

'Third party' damages, not your own.
It doesn't cover rented motorcycles either, that requires a separate policy.

That with "only third party" cover, is not really true, I think. At least in reality!

You go down, with a bike, on your own? Get to a police station, tell 'em (if it is your bike, of course)  that you had to swerve because of a dog or such, get a report, the compulsory is paying your health bills. Up to max 30 or 35k. It is just less, as for the pillion! Or real 3 parties. 

I know a couple of locals, they just gave the click/wave compulsory insurance slip to the ER! And one Farang walked with the bills from 3 weeks of daily Hospital ambulance cleaning and such, plus police report, to his own insurance! And walked out with the money in the pocket.

But looking at my compulsory  bike insurance slip, it says in Item 4, point 5: (quote) "In the event, the victim is a driver this vehicle will cover only preliminary compensation according to item 5."

Item 5 just reduces the payouts from item 4.

And looking at the reasons, why the compulsory got compulsory, I think that is  / was the intention for creating it!

With the rentals, you are totally right,  they do need a different insurance. Just no one has it. 

A friend of mine played that card , once, after the rental guy did not want to allow him, to use the compulsory for paying the bill. 

He told him, that he rented a "insured bike", at least from the contract.  So the owner either could give him the piece of paper from the insurance, or he would have to sue him personally. For renting out a bike, that is not a rental bike. Instead of have allowed him, to use his bike privately , because they "are friends".

It worked, not sure I would go there, but it worked. 

Btw. , a lot of the small car rent companies may have a first class insurance, but mostly also no rental car insurance. It is always a good thing to ask: In the unlikely event of an accident, is this a real rental, insured as rental? Or did I just drive a borrowed car with the consent of the owner? ;-)

• Like 1

Yes, your own medical bills are covered after an accident.

But one should have a health insurance anyway, with or without bike.

8 minutes ago, astro said:

But one should have a health insurance anyway, with or without bike.

And then there is the "no cover of motorcycle accidents" problem. At least with most, and more and more , travel insurances.

54 minutes ago, Guest1 said:

That with "only third party" cover, is not really true, I think. At least in reality!

The coverage of the Compulsory insurance is very limited: a maximum of 80.000 Thai Baht for Third Party medical expenses and a maximum of 300.000 Thai Baht in case of death. Also, the Compulsory Insurance does not cover property damage and/or damage to your own motorbike. 
https://www.aainsure.net/faq_motorbike-insurance.html

Compulsory Insurance doesn't cover a 'Bail Bond' either.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, astro said:

Not with the Compulsory Insurance, it only covers third party medical expenses assuming you were the 'at fault' driver. If you were not at fault, then the other parties Compulsory Insurance will cover your medical expenses, to a maximum of 80,000 BHT.

Of course, if they don't have any Insurance, which can often be the case, then unless you have Comprehensive Insurance, you could be up shite creek without a paddle.

The taxi driver at fault fled the scene, my missus' motor insurance paid our outpatient treatment - it was the required minimum coverage insurance.

Maybe a courtesy rather than an obligation? Unlikely, but who knows, I wasn't involved in the paperwork.

11 hours ago, astro said:

The taxi driver at fault fled the scene, my missus' motor insurance paid our outpatient treatment - it was the required minimum coverage insurance.

There are many types of Insurance available.
Although this example relates to cars, it also applies to motorcycles.

• Compulsory (CTPL): This is the so called compulsory insurance which every motor vehicle must have. This insurance only covers for bodily injury or death. Third party property damage is not covered at all. Because of this minimal coverage, it is very risky to drive around with only this insurance. The following insurances are voluntary.
  • 3rd class: This insurance is similar to the third-party liability insurance you will know from your home country. It covers third party property damage and medical expenses. Besides that, there is coverage for medical expenses for the driver and passengers of the own car and it includes bail bond.
  • 2nd class:This insurance coverage is the same as 3rd class, but also theft and fire of your own car is covered.
  • 3 + 1: This insurance covers the same as 3rd class, but also damage to the own car is covered up to the sum insured. Damage to your own Car however will only be covered in case of a collision with another motor vehicle and the identity of the other party is known. This insurance does not cover in case of an accident where no other party is involved or if the identity of the other party is unknown.
  • 2 + 1: This insurance covers the same as 3 + 1, but also fire and theft of your car is covered.
  • 1st class This insurance is the best, comparable to the all risks (or fully comprehensive) insurance as you will know from your Home Country. A First-Class insurance is the best option and relatively cheap. Important with First Class insurances: check the maximum coverages. A First-Class insurance that covers only 500,000 Thai Baht for third party property damage can still bring you big problems in case of a collision with an expensive car.

Car Insurance Thailand | Personal Vehicles Insurance Thailand (aainsure.net)

My wife only had Compulsory Insurance with her old motorcycle.
A car driver in the left lane decided to do a U-turn directly in front of her. She was forced to lay the bike down rather than slam into the side of him. The motorcycle hit his wheel, the wife had her skin peeled off down one arm and leg. He also fled the scene after opening his door to apologise first.

Her outpatient treatment was covered under the Thai 30 BHT Health scheme, not her Insurance.

8 minutes ago, Faz said:

Her outpatient treatment was covered under the Thai 30 BHT Health scheme, not her Insurance.

But it would have, if requested. Lets say, your wife would have been in another province, before the 30 baht scheme got extended, she would (could) have had cover from the compulsory insurance in that province

This compulsory is paying also for the driver (even if he/she would be at fault), just with reduced numbers. Instead of 80k it is down to 30k.   

And that seems to be this way because for up to 30k baht there is no proof needed, that it wasn't your fault.

Initial cover, they pay, have to pay it anyway, the hospital/doctor/rescue service can start working and will get up to that amount of money, anyway

Please return to the topic of motorbike license, because I would really like to know how to acquire one.

Anybody else knows about that course @hardright said he took to get one?

On 6/28/2022 at 7:21 PM, Guest1 said:

Isn't that 100 Baht a bribe, eh, tips?  They ask for, Phuket even 300 Baht, now, but till every couple of years the at that time immigration boss of Phuket is confirming to some online medias, that it is free of charge , like on  Monday 20 July 2020, I always respond to the money question loudly, if that has changed, what the boss said some weeks/time ago. And since I just need that paper every 6 years, ....!

Phuket Immigration Deputy Chief Col Nareuwat Putthawiro today confirmed that the letter from Immigration confirming a foreigner’s registered address, specifically required for a  foreigner to be issued or to renew a driver’s licence, is free to obtain.

I paid 200 Baht per letter in Bangkok.  Original letters are required for both car and motorcycle licenses and you also need  an original letter to register a vehicle if you purchase one.

24 minutes ago, bushav8r said:

I paid 200 Baht per letter in Bangkok.  Original letters are required for both car and motorcycle licenses and you also need  an original letter to register a vehicle if you purchase one.

Unless of course you have a yellow Tabien Baan as proof of residential address, then you don't need a residence certificate. The letters should be free, but many IO's charge a fee.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, bushav8r said:

That with TWO, for either license, seems to be gone in Phuket. Last time they took only one and made a copy themselves. But perhaps that was because of Covid? Will see in a couple of years , perhaps

I just renewed my car DL with yellow book. Last time was motorcycle DL with yellow book. Before they CM had flipped and did not want money but was a month wait. Before that was 500 and come back quick. Just depends on the time . 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

I just renewed my car DL with yellow book.

Your yellow book is a registered address with your name on it. So no need for the immigration paperwork, methinks

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Guest1 said:

Your yellow book is a registered address with your name on it. So no need for the immigration paperwork, methinks

Correct. As Faz had also mentioned. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cool 1

On 7/7/2022 at 9:24 PM, Faz said:

Unless of course you have a yellow Tabien Baan as proof of residential address, then you don't need a residence certificate. The letters should be free, but many IO's charge a fee.

The fee seemed most important.  They didn't even look at my paperwork.  I suppose the fee helps them to overlook anything wrong with the paperwork.  At least it was only 200 baht.  The immigration offices in Pattaya are asking for 25,000 baht to process paperwork for foreign hotel workers.

On 7/7/2022 at 9:38 PM, HolyCowCm said:

I just renewed my car DL with yellow book. Last time was motorcycle DL with yellow book. Before they CM had flipped and did not want money but was a month wait. Before that was 500 and come back quick. Just depends on the time . 

Pink ID & Yellow Book replaces Passport & Immigration TM30.

7 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

Can you expand on that? 

16 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Can you expand on that? 

16 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:
6 hours ago, oldschooler said:

I meant please expand on your answer as how does it replace the passport and TM 30? These would be separate issues as TM 30 is about checking back into the place you live after coming from out of the country. For passport replacement no either in most all cases. 

• 7 months later...