News Forum - Tourism officials plan Saudi visit, aim to attract hundreds of thousands to Thailand

Thaiger

Thai tourism officials plan to travel to Saudi Arabia with a goal of attracting 200,000-500,000 Middle Eastern tourists to Thailand this year. Last month, a Thai government spokesperson said the Tourism Minister had aimed for one million Middle Eastern tourists by 2022. Thailand would like to see one million Saudi tourists next year. Now, Thailand’s Tourism and Sports Minister says he plans to promote medical check-ups in Thailand to Saudi officials during his trip there. The minister says he has high hopes about the response by Saudi officials. He will also invite Deputy PM Anutin. The minister said the ministry […]

The story Tourism officials plan Saudi visit, aim to attract hundreds of thousands to Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

TAT is like a puppy chasing cars. It makes a lot of noise but actually achieves nothing. And as for seeing a huge market in Saudi, they are simply unable to understand that the medical tourism that that country will provide is minis Ile because they already have excellent medical infrastructure so Saudi have no need to travel here for anything. And large swathes of the Thai entertainment industry will get no benefit from people who are the most extreme religious conservatives who require strict adherence to their principles. 

• Like 2

I had to read the article carefully as I initially thought the numbers were related to Saudi. However they say they want 200,000-500,000 from the MIDDLE EAST this year. That’s entirely possible depending on how you define the Middle East.

My bigger worry is who is advising TAT on the visit to Saudi. I trust they won’t go along and assume they are all the same in the Middle East. One false word which involves Iran and these new diplomatic ties could be short lived. Hopefully they will have professionals who have studied the complex politics in the Middle East to advise??

4 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Thai tourism officials plan to travel to Saudi Arabia with a goal of attracting 200,000-500,000 Middle Eastern tourists to Thailand this year.

They’re still using that broken calculator ….. and surely the TAT tent at the Dubai World Fair should have already snagged millions of Tourists as they had planned. Must be just a jolly for the boys.

• Haha 1

Cashed up young Saudi's running riot in Phuket. Suddenly, the Russian tourists don't seem that bad.

I pity the bar girls.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Artemis080 said:

Cashed up young Saudi's running riot in Phuket. Suddenly, the Russian tourists don't seem that bad.

I pity the bar girls.

What's to pity?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pompies said:

TAT is like a puppy chasing cars. It makes a lot of noise but actually achieves nothing. And as for seeing a huge market in Saudi, they are simply unable to understand that the medical tourism that that country will provide is minis Ile because they already have excellent medical infrastructure so Saudi have no need to travel here for anything. And large swathes of the Thai entertainment industry will get no benefit from people who are the most extreme religious conservatives who require strict adherence to their principles. 

Many Saudis travel to Thailand already for medical treatment. Expect that number to increase. 

Not every Saudi is an extreme religious conservative. 

Many would love nothing more than to jump right in to the entertainment zones and all they have to offer!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Artemis080 said:

I pity the bar girls.

Yep. Have to pity those girls, having to spend all their time with young guys with loads of cash. 

They have my sympathy. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Artemis080 said:

I pity the bar girls.

Time to buy shares in KY jelly I reckon 😉

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Pompies said:

are the most extreme religious conservatives who require strict adherence to their principles. 

Until they leave their own  country. Its hard to find a larger group of hypocrites when many of them are out of sight of the religious police. Believe me, I've seen a lot of examples in my time. 

• Like 2

the middle east has a large youngish population with high disposable incomes and a love of travel.

the recent major improvement in relations between saudi and thailand is very significant.

to ignore such a large potential market would be foolish for the inbound tourism industry.

15 minutes ago, Cathat said:

the middle east has a large youngish population with high disposable incomes and a love of travel.

the recent major improvement in relations between saudi and thailand is very significant.

to ignore such a large potential market would be foolish for the inbound tourism industry.

So what’s stopped Saudis travelling to Thailand before? I’m aware of the diplomatic issues but they could still travel via another country 

2 hours ago, Soidog said:

So what’s stopped Saudis travelling to Thailand before? I’m aware of the diplomatic issues but they could still travel via another country

No consular assistance available,no medical/travel insurance and Saudi issued bank cards did not work and most saudis tend to follow government advice to the letter.

Don't underestimate the massive social changes occurring inside KSA at present.

What's happening inside saudi at the moment is the major driver not the previous deterrents to visiting.

all the other traditional markets are contracting at present while the middle east has massive potential to expand.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pinetree said:

Until they leave their own  country. Its hard to find a larger group of hypocrites when many of them are out of sight of the religious police. Believe me, I've seen a lot of examples in my time. 

That statement shows a lot of ignorance of how the people actually are. 

Just like in any other country there are a broad range of people covering all sides of the spectrum. 

The guys going to Thailand aren't going to be the religious  nutters. 

They're going to be the guys who like to have a good time, whether that involves girls, ganja, booze, or whatever. 

And BTW, the religious police aren't even a thing anymore. 

And actually, wouldn't you hide behind a high wall if you had to worry about getting lashed just for having a beer!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Soidog said:

It wasn't a problem going to Thailand. That part is fine. Everybody knows that. The problem was on their return to Saudi where they  faced a fine, and travel ban. 

One guy I know went multiple times because he had a cousin to call in the passport office if there were any issues. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Cathat said:

No consular assistance available,no medical/travel insurance and Saudi issued bank cards did not work and most saudis tend to follow government advice to the letter.

Don't underestimate the massive social changes occurring inside KSA at present.

What's happening inside saudi at the moment is the major driver not the previous deterrents to visiting.

all the other traditional markets are contracting at present while the middle east has massive potential to expand.

That is not correct. I've been using Saudi issued credit and debit cards for years in Thailand. I don't think Visa differentiates between nationality. 

There was and is consular assistance. The consulate is in an office block on Sathorn Road. 

I know that my company insurance works in Thailand, as to whether a Saudi can purchase Saudi issued travel insurance I can't say. I don't see why they wouldn't be able to purchase insurance from a Thai company though to cover them for their stay. 

Agree with you about massive social changes. It's not often you get to see a country completely change before your eyes as I have done. 

I'm based in a provincial city, population around 700k, in what has traditionally been one of the most conservative areas in the kingdom. 

The past 2-3 years have been transformational in so many ways. 

I hope many Saudis do go to Thailand. Maybe some of the bigots on here might look at them differently if they actually get to meet some of them. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

That is not correct. I've been using Saudi issued credit and debit cards for years in Thailand. I don't think Visa differentiates between nationality. 

There was and is consular assistance. The consulate is in an office block on Sathorn Road. 

I know that my company insurance works in Thailand, as to whether a Saudi can purchase Saudi issued travel insurance I can't say. I don't see why they wouldn't be able to purchase insurance from a Thai company though to cover them for their stay. 

Agree with you about massive social changes. It's not often you get to see a country completely change before your eyes as I have done. 

I'm based in a provincial city, population around 700k, in what has traditionally been one of the most conservative areas in the kingdom. 

The past 2-3 years have been transformational in so many ways. 

I hope many Saudis do go to Thailand. Maybe some of the bigots on here might look at them differently if they actually get to meet some of them. 

I thought the consular facilities in sathorn were very limited and not for tourist use.

I was daharan based when the incident in the 80's happened and remember it fairly well.

saudis were immediately banned from traveling to thailand for leisure purposes and direct air links were cut pretty quickly also.

expats such as myself traveled via bahrain to get round it (I lived near don muang at the time and it was all a complete pain for me!)

the card bit however I agree is incorrect,I'm mixing it up with another incident else where.

Plenty of obstructions were put in anybody's way who wanted to go to thailand and 1000s of thais got kicked out of Saudi over it also.

11 hours ago, Cathat said:

I believe that you , and the Thais, are making too much of it.  As I understand the demographics, few of them travel widely outside that feudal Kingdom. In a population of 35.5 million, 13.5 are expat workers. That makes for an effective travel potential from there at less than 15 million , once one takes out the old, the very young, single females and the poor (yes, some are relatively poor), its a lot less than that.. Hardy a large market. The Thais seem to counting on a relatively small population of very wealthy,  high spenders and whether they see Thailand as more attractive than Europe and the US, where they can easily invest their ill gotten funds,  is highly debateable. It smacks of desperation and the need to secure petrochemicals, rather than any dreams of mass tourism.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

That statement shows a lot of ignorance of how the people actually are. 

Just like in any other country there are a broad range of people covering all sides of the spectrum. 

Sorry Sir, but that is nonsense.  Its yet one more feudal , twisted religion dominated,  Stone Age, oppressive regime, that subjugates its own  people and if not for oil, would be beyond the pail for any right thinking person.  I see that three days ago, they publicly executed 81 people , how very modern and progressive of them.   The West embracing them solely for their oil is sickening to observe.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

I believe that you , and the Thais, are making too much of it.  As I understand the demographics, few of them travel widely outside that feudal Kingdom. In a population of 35.5 million, 13.5 are expat workers. That makes for an effective travel potential from there at less than 15 million , once one takes out the old, the very young, single females and the poor (yes, some are relatively poor), its a lot less than that.. Hardy a large market. The Thais seem to counting on a relatively small population of very wealthy,  high spenders and whether they see Thailand as more attractive than Europe and the US, where they can easily invest their ill gotten funds,  is highly debateable. It smacks of desperation and the need to secure petrochemicals, rather than any dreams of mass tourism.  

And that just goes to show how little you know. Saudis are big travelers.

16 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

Sorry Sir, but that is nonsense.  Its yet one more feudal , twisted religion dominated,  Stone Age, oppressive regime, that subjugates its own  people and if not for oil, would be beyond the pail for any right thinking person.  I see that three days ago, they publicly executed 81 people , how very modern and progressive of them.   The West embracing them solely for their oil is sickening to observe.  

We're taking about tourists here!

Think you misunderstood my comment. I was talking about the people, not the government. It's important to separate the actions of an unelected government from the views of the people. 

Or do you think Putin is representative of all Russians etc etc?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

How much time have you spent in Saudi?