News Forum - Tourism official proposes payment solutions for Russians in Phuket

Thaiger

Every Russian who is inconvienced, by the international sanctions imposed on their country, is another nail in Putins coffin. They are nationals of a Piraha State, who has bombed a nuclear power station, cut the power supply to a dangerous nuclear power station (Chernobyl), used Thermobaric weapons, and committing war crimes etc. The Thai government should be very careful about trying to sanction bust.

These people need to be inconvienced more and more, in fact to help them, round them all up, intern them where they will be fed and watered, until arrangements to deport them can be made. The bill for such measures should be presented to the Russian government. 

Their assets should be sequestrated and they should be left in no doubt that they are not welcome anywhere, while they accept, support directly/indirectly the current regime.

Edited by BIGGLES
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shark said:

and how would this exactly go out of Russia? As an Embassy would normally use the same as ANY other entity from a country which currently has no outbound cashflow pretty much.

Maybe Czar Putin could chip in a few dollars from the vast wealth he has hidden away. Along with his oligarch mates.

After all he caused the problems.

• Like 3
  • Cool 1

Does anyone have any predictions on what the effects of sanctions imposed on Russia will be on the Thai tourism industry in terms of Russian in-bound tourist numbers?

According to data, from Europe, Russians still account for the highest percentage of tourists to Thailand, followed by the U.K. With China still obsessing over 'zero covid' I would expect Thailand to attempt to develop tourism from Russia even further. Is this yet another blow to the beleaguered Thai tourism industry?

4 minutes ago, SameSameButBetter said:

Does anyone have any predictions on what the effects of sanctions imposed on Russia will be on the Thai tourism industry in terms of Russian in-bound tourist numbers?

According to data, from Europe, Russians still account for the highest percentage of tourists to Thailand, followed by the U.K. With China still obsessing over 'zero covid' I would expect Thailand to attempt to develop tourism from Russia even further. Is this yet another blow to the beleaguered Thai tourism industry?

It certainly is another large nail in the coffin of the thai tourism industry particularly the beach resorts favoured by russian and chinese visitors.i would not be surprised if this triggers a total collapse in the budget condo/hotel market in the pattaya area and probably a few other places also.

don't care what nonsense the real estate companies come up with to talk up the market.

It is blatantly obvious to anyone with an once of common sense or anybody who walks down any street in the areas formerly popular with chinese and russian visitors.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Following the move by Mastercard and Visa to cut off services to cards issued in Russia, Phuket tourism officials are proposing solutions for Russians stranded there. Yesterday, the president of the Phuket Tourism Business Association proposed three possible solutions: Allow Thai commercial banks to support Russia’s Mir payments system, allow the use of Chinese payment systems such as union pay, or allow cryptocurrencies to be used as a payment method. “This three-pronged proposal to TAT and BoT would offer a solution to this problem”. The president said there are currently about 3,000 Russian tourists stranded in Phuket. He said many […]

The story Tourism official proposes payment solutions for Russians in Phuket as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Thaiger news please read the anouncements from Mastercard and visa first before making a wrong report. Mastercard and Visa anounced that they suspend their operations in Russia that means also cards not issued in Russia in any bank around the world don't work in Russia. Don't mix it with the swift where bankcards including creditcards doesn't work anymore abroad! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

The Russian embassy needs to give them money.

Evacuation flights the embassy or touroperators have to organize, like they do in other destinations. For example in the domenican republik where more Russian tourists are than in Thailand their government forced the Russian touroperators to organize evacuation flights.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Shark said:

actually it's two baht as I'm neither Russian nor Ukrainian. 

How can it be 2 baht when the Rubel is 0.010 usd? 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, SameSameButBetter said:

Russian tourism will be pretty much a thing of the past the more these sanctions bight, they are already a problem as they currently can't access money, and their currency isn't even fit for toilet paper.  Even when this war is over, there will be no speedy return to anything like normal for them.

• Like 7

12 hours ago, Swensen said:

This is the responsibility of the Russian embassy not the Thai government. The monetary boycott against Russia is there for a reason and to try go around it will damage Thailand reputation. The stranded Russians in Thailand are now refugees and can get humantare treatment on the same level as other refugees entering the country's borders.

I agree save for the conclusion that those Russians are "refugees". They are not.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Following the move by Mastercard and Visa to cut off services to cards issued in Russia, Phuket tourism officials are proposing solutions for Russians stranded there. Yesterday, the president of the Phuket Tourism Business Association proposed three possible solutions: Allow Thai commercial banks to support Russia’s Mir payments system, allow the use of Chinese payment systems such as union pay, or allow cryptocurrencies to be used as a payment method. “This three-pronged proposal to TAT and BoT would offer a solution to this problem”. The president said there are currently about 3,000 Russian tourists stranded in Phuket. He said many […]

The story Tourism official proposes payment solutions for Russians in Phuket as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Thailand is playing with the fire. Circumventing international sanctions is never a good idea and might lead to painful repercussions.

• Like 4

While I have a certain sympathy with stranded Russians in Thailand, but not happy at Thailand trying to circumvent sanctions, I was thinking that, as a well travelled people, there must be many more thousands of Russians stuck around the globe.

I wonder how countries other than Thailand are dealing with this problem?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Saltire said:

While I have a certain sympathy with stranded Russians in Thailand, but not happy at Thailand trying to circumvent sanctions, I was thinking that, as a well travelled people, there must be many more thousands of Russians stuck around the globe.

Turkey is still letting them in, me thinks.

At least they still let russian airplanes fly  over/in

4 hours ago, Fundok said:

Yesterday, the president of the Phuket Tourism Business Association proposed three possible solutions:

a good proposal would be for the Phuket Tourism Business Association to pay for chartered flights back to Russia ….. it would certainly be cheaper than paying Russians to stay here for an extended period of time by the Thai people.  Maybe the government should force this 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Maybe Czar Putin could chip in a few dollars from the vast wealth he has hidden away. Along with his oligarch mates.

After all he caused the problems.

that's how much he cares about the people. the world however fails to grasp that idea and simply think that every Russian supports him right since they voted for him *giggle*.

17 minutes ago, Shark said:

that's how much he cares about the people. the world however fails to grasp that idea and simply think that every Russian supports him right since they voted for him *giggle*.

Then those Russians need to contact their embassy.

• Like 1

Interesting, looks like upwards of 150,000 stuck somewhere, it seems as I thought to affect many countries.

Didn't know Egypt was so popular with Ukranians.

https://www.dw.com/en/russian-ukrainian-tourists-stranded-abroad-amid-war-back-home/a-61021285

From the link

'According to the online portal mein-aegypten.com, a tourism blog, the Egyptian Tourism Ministry has instructed the managers of three-star hotels to provide stranded Ukrainian tourists with three meals a day and refreshments. A tourism fund will cover the cost of accommodation and meals, the ministry said.

Guests in four- and five-star accommodation, on the other hand, were to decide for themselves whether to stay in their hotels at their own expense or move to the subsidized three-star establishments.'

Wonder if this would work in Thailand?

2 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Then those Russians need to contact their embassy.

You funny and pretty western. Luckily the Thai Embassy sees their value. If not by quality it's by quantity.

17 minutes ago, Shark said:

You funny and pretty western. Luckily the Thai Embassy sees their value. If not by quality it's by quantity.

But I thought the Thai authorities had already said they no longer want quantity and that quality (more spending) was the objective? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Soidog said:

But I thought the Thai authorities had already said they no longer want quantity and that quality (more spending) was the objective? 

They change their mind while drinking tea.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Saltire said:

One of the large contingencies... Nearly 15,000 Russian tourists are stuck in the Dominican Republic as of March 2, and the country planned to provide accommodation to them for the time being.

Help both.

Russian tourists stuck in Thailand have nothing to do with the invasion of Ukraine.  It is the madman Putin who started it and his "yes sir" generals and politicians who are afraid to stand up to him for fear of repercusions.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nivram said:

Russian tourists stuck in Thailand have nothing to do with the invasion of Ukraine. 

Do you think any of these Russian Tourists could have voted for Putin? If they did, then they are indirectly to blame. 

• Like 1