Extend 30 day Visa Exempt entry?

Lemongrass

Entered Visa Exempt for 30 days on Feb 25th, expires Mar 26th. What is the optimal number of days to leave on that permit before approaching Jomtien to extend for another 30 days?

Any copies of documents required like onward ticket etc.

Thanks for all tips.

I believe TM30 filed for my hotel in Bangkok. Will chase  hotel for same in Pattaya next week. I plan to pursue 90 day Type O visa etc. in the autumn.

Thanks for the help.

58 minutes ago, MikeEllen said:

Guys, where is the closest office to koh Phangan for extending visa exempt stays? Surathani? 

Ko Samui. one would say. But yes this is also considered "Surat Thani" but in a lot of books just number two.

According to the information I have which can be wrong there should be a local immigration (perhaps only working on certain days) on Koh Phangan by now? - See: https://phanganist.com/koh-phangan-news-visa-koh-phangan-life-article/immigration-office-opening-koh-phangan

Ko Samui will have stricter rules then mainland Surat Thani.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2022 at 12:00 PM, Faz said:

Apply week starting March 21st for a 30 day extension.
Has a TM30 been filed for you place of residence?

Passport.
Completed TM7 form.
Copy of passport ID page.
Copy of entry stamp
Copy of TM6 card
Passport photo 4x6cm
1,900 BHT fee.

TM 7 Application for Extension of Stay.pdf 137.22 kB · 1 download

How long does an extension usually take?

I was going to get a tourist visa via e-visa but they ask for so many downloaded documents

Also, they have never looked at my departure ticket before, but would I have an issue coming in 30 day exempt with a departure flight 39 days?>

Thanks

45 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

How long does an extension usually take?

Standard 30 day extension is issued same day as application - on the spot.
Depending where you apply though and queuing, it could take 15 mins, or 2 hours.

45 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Also, they have never looked at my departure ticket before, but would I have an issue coming in 30 day exempt with a departure flight 39 days?>

VE only grants a stay of 30 days, so without a Visa the TP and airline could be looking for a return ticket within 30 days (even though you can extend that stay). To avoid any problems I recommend booking a return flight within 30 days, then after entering Thailand change the return flight date.

How long do you intend to stay in total Marc.

27 minutes ago, Faz said:

Standard 30 day extension is issued same day as application - on the spot.
Depending where you apply though and queuing, it could take 15 mins, or 2 hours.

VE only grants a stay of 30 days, so without a Visa the TP and airline could be looking for a return ticket within 30 days (even though you can extend that stay). To avoid any problems I recommend booking a return flight within 30 days, then after entering Thailand change the return flight date.

How long do you intend to stay in total Marc.

39 days but flights seem to so scattered that I don't want to be changing it

Air Canada has changed the time and route of our return flight 2x already

I will just do the cumbersome e-visa to get 60 days

Thanks for the information 

9 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I will just do the cumbersome e-visa to get 60 days

At least you can do that on a keyboard from the comfort of a chair, then you don't need to worry about making trips to local Immigration offices.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Faz said:

At least you can do that on a keyboard from the comfort of a chair, then you don't need to worry about making trips to local Immigration offices.

Yup 

1st world problems for sure 

Just the amount they ask you for vs other e-visas I've gotten in Vietnam and Cambodia is a lot 

21 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Just the amount they ask you for vs other e-visas I've gotten in Vietnam and Cambodia is a lot 

At Thai Immigration unless you've filed a TM30 (first procedure), then you won't be able to extend (second procedure). Add travel and waiting time and sometimes applying for the Visa online is a cinch compared to the bureaucratic procedures at Thai Immigration.

At least by obtaining the TV you won't have any further problems with flight tickets and can chill out after entry knowing you don't have to worry about visiting a Thai Immigration office.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2022 at 12:51 AM, Lemongrass said:

I believe TM30 filed for my hotel in Bangkok. Will chase  hotel for same in Pattaya next week. I plan to pursue 90 day Type O visa etc. in the autumn.

Thanks for the help.

Faz thanks. Please can you confirm 2nd 30 day VE is always added to the end of the expiry  date of the original? Not just 30 days from date of application? 

Also do you anticipate long queues Jomtien? Same week as last Covid 60 day extn?

Is there an online facility for this procedure?

Many Thanks again.

23 hours ago, Lemongrass said:

Please can you confirm 2nd 30 day VE is always added to the end of the expiry  date of the original?

That is correct. The 30 days is added from the last day of your current VE regardless of what day you extend on.

• Like 1

Do you still have TM6?  My friend is going to do the extension but he said that he could not recall he has TM6. So, I don't know if there is any change with travelers visiting with Thailand Pass.

14 hours ago, DJthee said:

Do you still have TM6?  My friend is going to do the extension but he said that he could not recall he has TM6. So, I don't know if there is any change with travelers visiting with Thailand Pass.

everyone get's a TM6 (so did my wife upon recent T&G arrival); If he lost it it will cost him.

Thanks Raugh and Faz for replies.

Going Jomtien next week. Should i anticipate long queues, the last week of Covid 60 day extn?

54 minutes ago, Lemongrass said:

Going Jomtien next week. Should i anticipate long queues, the last week of Covid 60 day extn?

I'm not familiar with the waiting times at Jomtien.

Providing a TM30 has already been filed for your place of residence, you download and complete the TM7 and have copies of the documents I listed above, it should only take 10 minutes to process your application.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone! Hope I'm not totally hijacking this topic, but I could use some help.

I entered Thailand visa exempt on the 9th of March and my 30 days will run out on the 7th of April. I'm in Bangkok and planning on asking for a 30 day visa extension.

From what I could discern so far I have to do it at Muang Thong Thani right?
Also how do I check if a TM30 has been filed for me?
And lastly can I apply for the extension now and get it over with or do I have to wait until closer to my expiration date?

Thanks in advance for your help.

44 minutes ago, jsa said:

From what I could discern so far I have to do it at Muang Thong Thani right?
Also how do I check if a TM30 has been filed for me?
And lastly can I apply for the extension now and get it over with or do I have to wait until closer to my expiration date?

Yes.
Where you staying - hotel should have filed one.
Apply anytime now.

• Thanks 1

Update. Got my  30 day Extension of Staybut it took three whole days queueing at Jomtien. First whole day to receive 'receipt of  notification of residence' slip in passport. Then two days to get 30 day  Extension. These queues were i guess largely because of the then, last week of Covid 60 day extension.

Does anyone rate my chances of qualifying for that Covid extension myself now. To recap, i had 30 day VOA and 30 day extension of stay? Possibly not but worth a try?

3 hours ago, Lemongrass said:

To recap, i had 30 day VOA and 30 day extension of stay? Possibly not but worth a try?

You entered Visa exempt (not VOA). You have nothing to lose by trying.

I'd suggest peope do the Thai E-Visa

They ask for a lot of documents but took me about 30/40mins to upload it all

But got approved and the visa in my email in less than 17 hours