News Forum - Malaysia, Thailand finalising ‘vaccinated travel lane’ details, to open mid-March

Thaiger

Thailand and Malaysia tourism officials are finalising the details of a “vaccinated travel lane” entry scheme, which would eliminate quarantine for vaccinated travellers arriving by plane between the two Southeast Asian nations. The new travel scheme is projected to open from mid-March, with at least 10 daily return flights. Good progress is reportedly being made in finalising the details at talks between the two countries, according to government spokesman Thanakorn Wangboonkongchana on Tuesday. VTL is likely to be in place by mid-March for fully vaccinated travellers. But as the calendar marches toward the Ides of March, there is still no […]

The story Malaysia, Thailand finalising ‘vaccinated travel lane’ details, to open mid-March as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

34 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

there is still no word on whether travelers from Malaysia would still need to apply for Thailand Pass and Test & Go

I suspect the Malaysians will be a bit disappointed if that demand stays in place...

Who cares? Malaysia also just announced opening to all international arrival on 1 April. The Malaysia equivalent of ThaiPass will be dropped. Predeparture pcr + on arrival antigen test remains. 

And Thailand continues to fall further and further behind. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

More wishful thinking from tourist officials - given that the average length of stay of visitors from Malaysia is less than one week, unless they dump Test & Go for VTL arrivals then they are just wasting their time. Same goes for India, and probably most of the ASEAN countries.

• Like 2

most malaysian visitors prefer to jump in the car and travel to southern thailand for the weekend then drive back home sunday night as they have been doing for decades.no way they will get on a flight and put up with all that crap just to visit thailand.they will simply wait for normality to return.

If there is a chance that I can been quarantined following one of the tests then it isn't worth the risk. So a long weekend to KL now becomes 14 days in a hotel at your own expense - who can take that risk? 

• Like 2

Don't care. Until I can just show my vaccination and not muck around with PCR tests and not risk quarantine I am not interested.

• Like 1

So a long weekend in KL for my wife and I involves a total of 8 PCR tests (four for each of us coming and going) which will cost a minimum of 20,000 baht, any one of which might give a false positive and land us in quarantine. Then there’s the cost of covid insurance for the two of us covering us for both Malaysia and Thailand. My Thai retirement visa doesn’t expire for another 10 months so presumably my insurance will have to cover me for the whole of that 9 months when I come back. On balance I think we’ll give it a miss.

Edited by Leeshard

Unless you're getting boosted about every 6 months, give or take which study and which vaccine you've taken, these vaccines are not protecting you in any decisive or adequate way. You're better off with natural immunity. Thus... any public health policy based upon the efficacy of the vaccines is an incompetent sham. 

• Like 1

Well I've done it.

I've bitten the bullet and booked my flights over to Thailand, arriving in mid April.

It's been 2 1/2 years since I've seen my girlfriend so we are both very excited.

I will do my first night in Bangkok for the obligatory PCR and then we are off to Krabi for a week, back to Bangkok and then drive to Hua Hin for about 5 days.

Last time I booked to go to Thailand the Aussie borders closed the day before I was due to leave. I will be waiting with trepidation every hour until I am finally on the plane. 

Wish me luck 😀

15 minutes ago, Mazz11 said:

Well I've done it.

I've bitten the bullet and booked my flights over to Thailand, arriving in mid April.

It's been 2 1/2 years since I've seen my girlfriend so we are both very excited.

I will do my first night in Bangkok for the obligatory PCR and then we are off to Krabi for a week, back to Bangkok and then drive to Hua Hin for about 5 days.

Last time I booked to go to Thailand the Aussie borders closed the day before I was due to leave. I will be waiting with trepidation every hour until I am finally on the plane. 

Wish me luck 😀

Best of luck😀

• Thanks 1