News Forum - Taxi drivers fight over passenger saying Bangkok taxi shouldn’t service in Pattaya 

Thaiger

A video was widely shared among Thais of Pattaya taxi and win drivers crowded around a driver from Bangkok, some saying he stole their customer and arguing with him about offering services outside of his home province. One Pattaya taxi driver reportedly said that drivers in other provinces should be more thoughtful about offering services in Pattaya as those in the coastal city were hit hard by the pandemic. After the video of the argument went viral on social media, the Chon Buri Land Transport office invited taxi drivers to discuss the situation so officials can work on solving problems. […]

The story Taxi drivers fight over passenger saying Bangkok taxi shouldn’t service in Pattaya  as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

He added that all drivers should adhere to the set fares according to Pattaya’s taximeter system.

Pattaya taximeter system... Sound dodgy🤔

• Haha 1

Take a bolt you can see how much before you get in no surprise from a pattaya taxy meter i must say i never see a driver using them mostly they hide them behind a towel or something 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

some saying he stole their customer

Stole him ! What like run off down the road with him under arm .. 

• Haha 3

Banks, Immigration offices, taxi services and others all fall under a provincial rule it seems !

It makes jurisdiction's for Thailand, a  international cluster f ! unreasonable  imop

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

The "it's theft" argument might be valid if Thailand were a federal nation, but it's unitary.

The "I'm hit harder by the pandemic" argument is just pathetic (I'm assuming the drivers didn't compare notes to determine which one has suffered most).

Let's hope the meeting towards a solution reaches the conclusion that aggressive/intimidating behavior will simply not be tolerated.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

He added that all drivers should adhere to the set fares according to Pattaya’s taximeter system. 

Easy, set the Paytaya  fares to be the same like in Bangkok, then. Solved.

Don't forget to change the Phuket "Taxi" fares, too.

• Cool 1

2 minutes ago, Guest1 said:

and add Samui to the list while your at it ;-).

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Cathat said:

Things must be pretty bad when taxi driver's are watching each other like hawks and fighting amoungst themselves.

TiT and the usual  behavior in the Thai Taxi business. Usually you even need to be in the taxi group of that precise part of the road, to have the right to pick up people,there. 

The new part is only, that you CAN order now Bangkok Taxis via app, to pick you up in Pattaya.

Duly noted, thanks

• Like 1

So what is a Bangkok taxi to do if they take a fare to Pattaya? Return trip empty? Of course what is fair and reasonable and what Thai taxi mafias do (even to each other) are two completely different things, I realize.

• Cool 1

4 minutes ago, Guest1 said:

MAYBE this could be the next two Best Ten Lists from the Thaiger staff ….

Top 10 provinces with most Expensive taxi meters and Top 10 with Cheapest !

Maybe we could create our own guesstimates first 😉

5 minutes ago, Cabra said:

Return trip empty

Exactly that! To keep prices high. Because if you drive from Bangkok to Pattaya, you not go by meter, you charter the taxi, usually. Out of Bangkok boundaries, no meter needed, agreement it is. Same on the way from Pattay to Bkk or into Bangkok

The horrible part here is, that even IN Bangkok, or Pattaya or a different municipality on Phuket, you better not try to pick up people in another taxi ranks area. Flat tyres are the lesser problems that occure, sometimes.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

Make it first a weekly quiz, please!

• Haha 1

this is happening in every country, in some places, we need to hop into 2-3 taxis before we reach our final destination.

headache for tourists !

If he was booked before hand by a passenger then its fair (fare) enough.

If he was just parked in a city rank waiting for a customer to drop by chance then thats not OK.

Where you get into a grey area is if someone just see's a taxi approaching and flags it down.

"He added that all drivers should adhere to the set fares according to Pattaya’s taximeter system"

I nearly fell off my chair laughing at that.

• Like 1

You have to laugh at the stupidity of all this. So Pattaya taxis never take people back to Suvarnabhumi and pick up fares. Short sighted and illogical stupidity. Let them fight it out I say. Get the lawyers along for round 2 also. 

• Like 4

And so use Grab you'll save money not have to pay the extortion  fares the taxis charge, and you can help the average citizen instead of a taxi mafia.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Guest1 said:

Exactly that! To keep prices high. Because if you drive from Bangkok to Pattaya, you not go by meter, you charter the taxi, usually. Out of Bangkok boundaries, no meter needed, agreement it is. Same on the way from Pattay to Bkk or into Bangkok

The horrible part here is, that even IN Bangkok, or Pattaya or a different municipality on Phuket, you better not try to pick up people in another taxi ranks area. Flat tyres are the lesser problems that occure, sometimes.

There are regulations in every major city in North American that don't allow taxis to pick up in different jurisdictions and I'd imagine it is the same most major cities in the world

If you are an airport or suburban taxi, you can't pick up a fare in downtown Vancouver

It is pretty standard regulation.....

4 hours ago, Soidog said:

You have to laugh at the stupidity of all this. So Pattaya taxis never take people back to Suvarnabhumi and pick up fares. Short sighted and illogical stupidity. Let them fight it out I say. Get the lawyers along for round 2 also. 

As I said above, it is pretty standard that taxis have jurisdictions that they can and can't pick up in

In Western countries it mostly has to do with the taxes and license fees they pay

I used to live in Hoboken New Jersey in the US, it's a 10min taxi ride from New York City but it is almost impossible to get a taxi to there late night, because they aren't allowed to pick up a return fare

• Like 2

10 hours ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

Il get the ball rolling.

Phuket probably has the most extortionate rates and the rudest taxi driver's in the whole of thailand.

On my few trips to Krabi I have found the airport taxis to be well driven,reasonably priced and the drivers polite.

I've always found Bangkok airport taxi driver's to be pretty good over 3 and a half decades and several hundred trips.

Edited by Cathat
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Cathat said:

Phuket probably has the most extortionate rates

I would guess that it is because they have higher fuel,registration,licensing costs. though I have never been there. Just a guess.🙂