News Forum - Walkway connecting Bangkok parks will be renovated in September

Thaiger

A walkway connecting Bangkok’s Lumpini and Benjakitti parks will be renovated in September. The walkway was first built in 1999. The renovation will give it better biking and running lanes, with flowers lining the sides. There will even be a park, as well as a rest area. The walkway is being referred to as the ‘green bridge’, and the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration says it’s meant to be a landmark for Bangkok. City Hall said it allocated 260 million baht to renovate the walkway. The BMA announced today that the renovation will begin this month. The walkway used to be known […]

The story Walkway connecting Bangkok parks will be renovated in September as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

I've walked there numerous times through the years, it has always been deserted. Maybe this upgrade will make it more attractive. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

A walkway connecting Bangkok’s Lumpini and Benjakitti parks will be renovated in September.

Cool .. but will the lizards will be monitoring it .. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DoUKnowWhoIAm said:

I've walked there numerous times through the years, it has always been deserted. Maybe this upgrade will make it more attractive. 

Does it have or will get a roof? Minimum shading trees? If not, maximum at early morning or evening it will be busier.

That is the secret to lots of walkways in Singapore: Protection from the sun.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Guest1 said:

Does it have or will get a roof? Minimum shading trees? If not, maximum at early morning or evening it will be busier.

That is the secret to lots of walkways in Singapore: Protection from the sun.

No, it doesn't have a roof and I haven't seen it mentioned in their plan.  

7 minutes ago, DoUKnowWhoIAm said:

No, it doesn't have a roof and I haven't seen it mentioned in their plan.  

The easy things, no one is thinking about.

Sun roofs are also a rain shade, win/win

1 minute ago, Guest1 said:

The easy things, no one is thinking about.

Sun roofs are also a rain shade, win/win

I agree, it sure would've increased the usage.

How much end to end traffic is there between both parks? it seems like a really long walk. And it’s through low density residential area right? Do people really go to Lumpini and think oh I really want to go to Benjakitti now?

If the first connection didn’t generate any demand, why would the second design? 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, JJJ said:

If the first connection didn’t generate any demand, why would the second design? 

There is a much bigger ask for running, walking, biking options, as there was in 1999. Or before Covid came to town!

The walkway was first built in 1999. The renovation will give it better biking and running lanes

For example, Chatuchak Park near Mon Chit is, or was, already in the past a popular area. Just only in evenings and early morning hours. My guess is, Lumpini and/or Benchakitti are attracting people for the same reasons, in that daytimes, too.

I don't know this "green bridge", but there is imho  no better time, to throw 260 Mio on to it, as now. Great cash backs and the friends in the business are happy, too. PLUS you may attract people to use it. Also it looks a bit sad, Google street view: 

https://www.google.com/maps/@13.7339151,100.5506871,3a,75y,281.92h,76.27t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sdUiO5nvI2v_zzMeiaAHubg!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DdUiO5nvI2v_zzMeiaAHubg%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D265.01718%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

I still just think, they could look a bit around, perhaps ask people or use common sense ;-), how to adjust that walkway. And not only for park to park connections, sunshade is the thing not to forget!

Even Phuket has one, up to "monkey hill". With a green shading tree roof:

google street view:   https://www.google.com/maps/@7.8943428,98.3971325,3a,75y,32.84h,103.31t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sZd8_-Zk6oyejxC6hzyT3Lw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192 

😇

• Like 1

I have been to the green bridge a few times. The part near the Lumphini end is quite interesting with the closeness of the rooftops and various real Thai soi's to nosey into from above. It's always busy with Thai Instagrammers. Not with joggers or bikers.

If you keep going you reach the expressway and after that you walk alongside either a horrible canal or an open sewer? I'm not sure. But it's not great for the lungs if you're jogging and breathing heavily.

Also there are several sets of steps, some of which are at least 20 steps. A bit annoying for bike riders to constantly get on and off bikes up and down stairs.

I don't see why anyone would want to link from one park to the other when you can jog or bike (depending on time) uninterrupted in the park.

The upgrade of flowers etc will be good for the Instagrammers I guess.

Edited by Scribble

10 hours ago, Scribble said:

I have been to the green bridge a few times. The part near the Lumphini end is quite interesting with the closeness of the rooftops and various real Thai soi's to nosey into from above. It's always busy with Thai Instagrammers. Not with joggers or bikers.

If you keep going you reach the expressway and after that you walk alongside either a horrible canal or an open sewer? I'm not sure. But it's not great for the lungs if you're jogging and breathing heavily.

Also there are several sets of steps, some of which are at least 20 steps. A bit annoying for bike riders to constantly get on and off bikes up and down stairs.

I don't see why anyone would want to link from one park to the other when you can jog or bike (depending on time) uninterrupted in the park.

The upgrade of flowers etc will be good for the Instagrammers I guess.

The main attention should definitely be focused on doing something about the horrible stench from the canal on the Benjakitti side.