News Forum - Russians in Phuket granted 1 month extension to stay

Thaiger

21 minutes ago, Artemis080 said:

There are plenty that do support it too. And, this is war. But I don't advocate for them being kicked out of Thailand.

This extension isn't a real solution though. The currency is turning to toilet paper, they have no access to credit cards or funds. The Russian embassy should be making arrangements repatriating those citizens who need to return. Sanctions are not going to evaporate overnight and it's likely going to get much, much worse.

Which does lead to another point. Who on earth in their right mind would be thinking of a short long haul leisure holiday to Thailand from anywhere right now? 

Ì guess the Russians come in all stripes, but it seem they are prone to create problems. I'll stay clear of Phuket for now. Russians short of cash might not be good.

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

7 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

Ì guess the Russians come in all stripes, but it seem they are prone to create problems. I'll stay clear of Phuket for now. Russians short of cash might not be good.

Strategic thinking, there, Fred . . . you'll be fine!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

I only see someone speaking like a child and spewing nonsense. And it is not @Fluke

He is right, f***ing around with the innocent average Russian holiday maker is in no way going to solve the situation in Ukraine or remove Putin from power. 

Following your logic, maybe we should send all Germans home too and restrict their credit cards so that they can pay some more for the actions of Adolf Hitler =))

Nonsense.

At the moment they massacre civillians in Mauripol so I am definetly more concerned about them. And omg to compare a situation with an emergency from now to a something horrible 80 years ago shows me that my youngest children understands and for what sanctions are. Yes this show me your mindset and shows that you are not able to understand the differences and why they make sanctions. For sure first is always how to save lives. I know you will be not able to understand that. I suggest to raise children and care for a family then you will understand what is important and why they do this this sanctions. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Transam said:

Perhaps Russians on holiday here despise their country's leader and his actions, so I don't agree with pointing a finger at individual Russian folk just because their leader/government are sh_ts... 

No this I don't do but they didn't make these sanctiins because of the russian tourists here and exactly this I tried to explain. Also they not understand the cut of the swift is not because tourists it is targeted to the financial system and is about financing the war, oligarchs, access on the financial markets and to bring them to stop this war and saves millions of lives. They are concerned about the tourists but they are not concerned about that civillians including children, children arriving in trains in europe without their parents. Not one word they wrote about that. This is hypocricy at its highest level or a mindset like a kid.

• Like 3

Russians might get visa extensions, but once they run out of money, honeymoon is over. And that's true no matter what nationality you have. The Thai government doesn't even help its own people. Thai rak Thai (maybe), but the vast majority of Thai won't pay for Thai and certainly not for foreigners, incl. Russians.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Marc said:

Russians might get visa extensions, but once they run out of money, honeymoon is over. And that's true no matter what nationality you have. The Thai government doesn't even help its own people. Thai rak Thai (maybe), but the vast majority of Thai won't pay for Thai and certainly not for foreigners, incl. Russians.

I have noticed that Thais have been very helpful and generous to those who have been struggling in these difficult times . 

I have seen numerous times when Thais stop by in their cars and hand out food to the homeless and Thais giving money to homeless hungry people . 

5 hours ago, Pinetree said:

I'm sorry if this upsets anyone, but all Russians everywhere should be sent packing.  They have put up with Putin and his criminals all these years. To slightly change a well known quote: you get the leaders you are prepared to tolerate. Send them all home. 

ridiculous, I guess with that logic we should send all British back home for voting Brexit and BoJo 🤣

8 minutes ago, butterfly said:

ridiculous, I guess with that logic we should send all British back home for voting Brexit and BoJo 🤣

Hmmm. You may be onto something here but lets not explore it. Its way off topic.

Transam is now a moderator (which for me is a worrying development 😛).

1 hour ago, Stardust said:

No this I don't do but they didn't make these sanctiins because of the russian tourists here and exactly this I tried to explain. Also they not understand the cut of the swift is not because tourists it is targeted to the financial system and is about financing the war, oligarchs, access on the financial markets and to bring them to stop this war and saves millions of lives. They are concerned about the tourists but they are not concerned about that civillians including children, children arriving in trains in europe without their parents. Not one word they wrote about that. This is hypocricy at its highest level or a mindset like a kid.

I agree with both sides of the argument, but I think your argument carries more weight. 

In a sense, stranded Russian tourists can be considered to be civilian casualties of war (the economic part of it). Some claim that Russian voters are responsible for Russia's regime and hence accountable, but I consider that argument naïve & wrong. At the same time, it's hard to envision how precision strikes would be possible (that is, without direct military intervention).

So even though I don't like what's happening to Russian individuals abroad now, I also find it its cause to be justifiable in the overall scheme.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think the west is ridiculous with their sanctions against the poor Russian people, they are casualties in this conflict too, and it is exposing the west as another bully (surprise) and actually re-enforcing Putin arguments that the west is "targeting" all Russians.

As usual, the US is MiA after creating that NATO mess and barking like a mad dog with no teeth,

This should have never gone that far, because even if Putin invades completely Ukraine, it's a political loss. I can only see this as a bargaining chip for him, but since Europeans are powerless and stuck between the US and their own internal conflicts, there will be no real winner in all this.

• Like 1

Thai visa policy favors Russian citizens to Westerners anyway, as Russians can stay visa free for 90 days, while passport holders of most European contries, UK, US, Canada, Australia can only stay 30 days, and extend without exit only once .

This favorable 90 days visa free policy only applies to citizens of South Korea and Russia only.

• Like 1

the poor Ukrainian people have been sacrificed for the well being of NATO, the US and the cowardice of the EU27

well done Putin for exposing us for what we are, check mate

3 hours ago, Fluke said:

Will punishing Russian Citizens in Thailand have any effect on the war in Ukraine ?

The USA's attack on Iraq was terrible  so should all USA citizens abroad have all their access to money removed ?

Should all American citizens in Thailand have their ATM cards invalidated ?

Yes!

But they would need support from UN

But it sound like you are condoning the attack on Ukraine?

If you knew about the impending war and read the news it was in black and white regarding sanctions!

Why go on a holiday when your country just started an in provoked war?

To me it’s like we agree with what’s happening!

let’s still go on holidays?

The world is taking a stand not just the USA

Are you wearing anything to support Ukraine whilst in Thailand?

Are you condemning Russias invasion?

Why aren’t you saying you condemn the invasion at least while your here on holiday? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fluke said:

Punishing civilians/citizens for the actions of their Governments is an unethical thing to do and also rather concerning . 

Mass punishment , punishing everyone for the actions of a few  is probably against some U.N laws/rules and a breach of basic human rights 

Sorry but that is utter nonsense.  The citizens are collectively responsible for what is done in their name, or they resist, revolt, or they leave, never to return. The Russians are not respecting human rights and have, collectively, forfeited the right to humanitarian consideration. This is Nazi Germany of 80 years ago write large.  It  if it  ends in nuclear conflict and millions dead they have only themselves to blame. 

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, butterfly said:

Don't be ridiculous. This is war, people are dying, not some stupid, irrelevant  Brexit debate. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Grant said:

Yes!

But they would need support from UN

But it sound like you are condoning the attack on Ukraine?

If you knew about the impending war and read the news it was in black and white regarding sanctions!

Why go on a holiday when your country just started an in provoked war?

To me it’s like we agree with what’s happening!

let’s still go on holidays?

The world is taking a stand not just the USA

Are you wearing anything to support Ukraine whilst in Thailand?

Are you condemning Russias invasion?

Why aren’t you saying you condemn the invasion at least while your here on holiday? 

The Russians in Thailand may have been in Thailand for months/years , just like many other Westerners , some could be here for the duration of the winter months .

I am not taking a stance on the conflict in the Ukraine , nothing to do with me . People are now only interested in this conflict because they are being force fed it by the media 

I just don't think that Russian people in Thailand  should be targeted /sanctioned just because things that their Government are doing . 

The public shouldn't be held responsible for the actions of their Government , especially an unelected Government 

• Cool 1

11 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

Sorry but that is utter nonsense.  The citizens are collectively responsible for what is done in their name, or they resist, revolt, or they leave, never to return.  

You are referring to Russian citizens who left Russia and are now in Thailand , some would have moved permeantely .

You didnt really think that through, did you 

3 minutes ago, Fluke said:

You didnt really think that through, did you 

I rather think that's the other way around mate.  Having any other status other than permanent residency, citizenship or refugee status means they should be made to leave. 

13 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

Sorry but that is utter nonsense.  The citizens are collectively responsible for what is done in their name, or they resist, revolt, or they leave, never to return. 

Should we put sanctions on Brazilians  because of their Countries destruction of the Amazon rainforest ?

BLM/Antifa supporters  should be held responsible for Trumps insurrection because they are USA citizens .

BTW, do you have an anti Russian agenda and youre not interested in fairness , you just like to see Russian people suffering ? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pinetree said:

I rather think that's the other way around mate.  Having any other status other than permanent residency, citizenship or refugee status means they should be made to leave. 

What Country are you from ?

It will be interesting to see how many Russians can afford to be accommodated in Thailand even with the generous extension given by Thai immigration …. ooops they have yet to promulgate this. Will not Thai immigration now loose face as it will seem that they are bowing down to another countries wishes.

Maybe there will be a lot of Russians taking up bedding in temples and collecting morning alms with the Thai monks. I remember the Thaiger article about the Russian that ran out of money in 2020.

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/broke-and-stranded-russian-tourists-take-shelter-in-phuket-temple

Imagine the thousands that will need to be supported …. we just need to look how the Thais treated the Burmese at the start of COVID19.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stardust said:

At the moment they massacre civillians in Mauripol so I am definetly more concerned about them. And omg to compare a situation with an emergency from now to a something horrible 80 years ago shows me that my youngest children understands and for what sanctions are. Yes this show me your mindset and shows that you are not able to understand the differences and why they make sanctions. For sure first is always how to save lives. I know you will be not able to understand that. I suggest to raise children and care for a family then you will understand what is important and why they do this this sanctions. 

Blah blah blah.... keep your drivel about kids and whatnot to yourself, that's no the topic of this thread, and you are looking more clownish by the second...

You think the average Russian bloke having a holiday in Phuket is responsible for Putin ordering the  killing of civilians in Ukraine? You think sanctions were designed to target the average Russian bloke having a holiday in Phuket? 

If that's what you think, then you have no idea how sanctions work. Sanctions are against Putin's regime and very specific people close to Putin, as well as the Russian economy. Not against the average Russian Joe who works a 9 to 5 and enjoys two weeks of holiday in Phuket once a year. 

The average Russian Joe is just a very unfortunate victim of the collateral damage caused by the sanctions that Putin has brought upon them. Okay? Are you able to understand this? Many Russians do not support Putin.

Edited by Sparktrader
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Fluke said:

Should we put sanctions on Brazilians  because of their Countries destruction of the Amazon rainforest ?

BLM/Antifa supporters  should be held responsible for Trumps insurrection because they are USA citizens .

BTW, do you have an anti Russian agenda and youre not interested in fairness , you just like to see Russian people suffering ? 

Oh dear, no point in debating with you. 

• Like 1