Copy of Green Book Required or Just Another Scam?

JustAnotherExpat

Just today someone posted on FB how they got pulled over at a BiB motorbike stop in Jomtien and got a ticket for not carrying a copy of the green book. Is this the actual law or just a shakedown?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JustAnotherExpat said:

Just today someone posted on FB how they got pulled over at a BiB motorbike stop in Jomtien and got a ticket for not carrying a copy of the green book. Is this the actual law or just a shakedown?

Hello Happy Expat 5!   LOL

Thai law is to be licensed,registered&insured and carry ID for foreigner means a passport. And a letter of authorization to drive the vehicle if it is not yours.

So in my opinion it is a cunning way to shake a person down< using your words.🙂

Edited by Thaidup

How much was it?

Can't say for certain if it is a try to make money on people with helm and license,  or a requirement, but:

I had it one time only, that an officer did ask for a proof, who is the owner and/or if the bike is mine.

Since then I carry the part of the tax sticker with my name on it in the bike, lots of people I know carry even the green book or at least a copy of the owner page.

And looking at it, from "our" countries view, they just don't hand you a vehicle registration here. So a copy could be the usual replacement for the proof of Ownership?

But that was a "new to Phuket" officer. Usually and with assumingly over 50% of the motos, driven by a farang, are rentals, they focus only on the helm and license. And his superior cleared that that time on the spot, but gave me the tip to have a copy of ownership proof with me.

Got never asked again but still change that paper every year, after paying tax and compulsory insurance.

And I would like it, in case my bike gets stolen, that police would ask for this at checkpoints ;-)

• Like 1

Unless the law has changed (and it hasn't) then yes it is required and just another way they can get money out of you. I am taking a bike trip next week and I just copied the green book 2 days ago with the current insurance and put it into a plastic bag and under the seat. Lots of little laws they can actually get you with if they know them. Having the insurance policy under the seat is just a good idea.

1 hour ago, Transam said:

I have never heard of anyone carrying such a document copy. But, if an official receipt for the fine was given, then perhaps there is such a law.

Pity they don't fine parents for giving bike keys to underage kids, which will inevitably lower the LOS road death figures..🥴

I knew this and my wife does as well and all the bikes we use have them. One Loy Krathong many o years back we had one bike (Honda Dream) stolen and it didn't matter if it had the registration copy or not. If they want it, they will take it if not locked up. I don't think they will just say, ok, check under the seat and if no registration then leave it alone. What the police told us was that the bike is gone and likelihood of finding it is close to zero and so it is gone and probably might just end up as parts or going across the border. They said that night there were a lot of bikes stolen. So we learned our lesson and in some circumstances on fesitvals if we do go out we lock them. 

"Motor Vehicles Act Title 3 Section 42". This is where you will find the law in question.

Also Section 66 states if cannot produce to an officer the license or registration that the fine will not exceed 1000 baht.

But just thinking, I will now go outside and write on the regsitration copy in big bold letters that this cannot be used as a document for sale or official use. 

• Like 1