Visa needed for extension application

Hi

I'm in Canada at the moment, planning to return to Thailand at the end of this month with my Thai wife. When I arrive, I intend applying for a 12 month extension to my stay... something I've successfully done twice in the past. On previous occasions, I've had a non-immigrant 'O' visa which gained me entry to Thailand. Can I enter Thailand on the 30 day visa exemption rule and apply for the 12 month extension soon after arrival? or do I need a non-immigrant visa in order to apply for the 12 month extension?

Thanks

David

• Like 1

Hi David,
You must have Non Immigrant status to apply for a 1 year extension of stay.

1. You can either apply for the Non Imm O single entry Visa from the Thai Embassy in Ottawa based on Thai spouse to enter Thailand, which will grant an initial stay of 90 days.
Non-Immigrant Visa Categories "F, B, IM, IB, ED, M, R, RS, EX, and O" - Royal Thai Embassy, Ottawa

Deposit 400K THB in a Thai bank account in your sole name. Once these funds have been in the bank for 2 months, you can then apply for a 1 year extension of stay based on Thai spouse.

OR

2. Enter Visa exempt, deposit 400K in a Thai bank as above, then apply to change status from Tourist to Non Immigrant (Non O) at your local Immigration office. You must have at least 15 days permission of stay remaining when applying for the Non O, but you can extend your stay for 30, then a further 60 days if you require more time. Procedure for Non O here: VE-TV to Non O Spouse.pdf 

The Non O will grant you permission of stay for a further 90 days.
Within the last 30 days of the 90 you can then apply for the 1 year extension of stay based on Thai spouse.

• Like 2