News Forum - Second round of Ukraine – Russia talks ends with agreement on humanitarian corridors

Thaiger

7 minutes ago, vlad said:

Now it is serious all major stores in the UK have removed Russian Vodka from their shelves.

This is a bit pointless actually. First of all those Russian vodkas are most probably already paid for, so the vodka makers don't really loose any money if they aren't sold. The only loss they will have is there won't be any orders in the near future.

Secondly, they were removed and most probably stored back in the warehouse waiting for the time when the situation improves (perhaps the Russians retreat) and then after that they would be sold again. If those major stores are serious about protesting they should recycle those vodkas into something more useful for example alcohol for hand cleaning.

5 hours ago, Stardust said:

Nato Europe tanks  115 855

Russia tanks 605

Most of the other numbers are pretty close, but these two are not. Russia has about 20,700 main battle tanks, NATO has almost 22,000. These are total number including those in reserve. Russia really only has about 3,000 tanks active service. The vast majority of them being T-72s with much fewer T-80s and T-90s. As for the new T-14, you can probably count them on one hand with fingers left over (and the production rate is so slow they are not worth talking about till next decade).  

The NATO numbers are harder to break down since the equipment is actually owned by the individual countries. For example, the US has 2,500 active service M1 Abrams and another 3,700 in reserve. Poland has about 800 tanks, all active. However France has about 200 active and 200 reserve. About 3,000 of the total belong to Turkey. It's a real hodge podge of types and levels of active vs reserve. 

As for most Russian tanks being modern, I'm not sure I would agree with that. The T-72 and T-80s have been upgraded, but only the T-90s are considered modern by most standards. Problem is Russia doesn't have a lot of the T-90s as they drastically slowed production rates a decade ago. 

9 hours ago, EdwardV said:

Most of the other numbers are pretty close, but these two are not. Russia has about 20,700 main battle tanks, NATO has almost 22,000. These are total number including those in reserve. Russia really only has about 3,000 tanks active service. The vast majority of them being T-72s with much fewer T-80s and T-90s. As for the new T-14, you can probably count them on one hand with fingers left over (and the production rate is so slow they are not worth talking about till next decade).  

The NATO numbers are harder to break down since the equipment is actually owned by the individual countries. For example, the US has 2,500 active service M1 Abrams and another 3,700 in reserve. Poland has about 800 tanks, all active. However France has about 200 active and 200 reserve. About 3,000 of the total belong to Turkey. It's a real hodge podge of types and levels of active vs reserve. 

As for most Russian tanks being modern, I'm not sure I would agree with that. The T-72 and T-80s have been upgraded, but only the T-90s are considered modern by most standards. Problem is Russia doesn't have a lot of the T-90s as they drastically slowed production rates a decade ago. 

Nato europe has over 115 000 tanks these are the official number from bundeswehr and government Germany . So I have zero doubt they are wrong. Not forget we are talking over 30 countries. 

9 hours ago, EdwardV said:

I found some in englush gives the same number

https://www.newsweek.com/russia-nato-military-strength-comparison-goes-viral-amid-rising-tension-1683269

The 605 is the naval power this was a tipping mistake

10 hours ago, Noble_Design said:

Huh? 🤔🤭

605 is the naval power, typing mistake sorry

Edited by KaptainRob
Typo/spelling mistake fixed

On 3/4/2022 at 10:58 AM, KaptainRob said:

With a nuclear power station now leaking radiation there is likely to be a massive exodus from the region.  Someone must surely put a bullet in Putin.

Is there news that the nuclear plant is leaking? I am not able to find that.

30 minutes ago, HiuMak said:

Is there news that the nuclear plant is leaking? I am not able to find that.

That was an early report, unverified. 

15 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

That was an early report, unverified. 

It very much depends on what you're reading.

• Like 1