News Forum - More Thai volunteers sign up to fight Russian forces in Ukraine

Thaiger

Thai nationals, moved by footage of the conflict in Ukraine, are signing up to defend the country following the Russian invasion. Last week, the embassy of Ukraine posted on its Facebook page, appealing to foreigners to help the country fight the Russian offensive. According to a Bangkok Post report, a notice outside the embassy in Bangkok requests applicants to submit paperwork that includes evidence of military training via email. Volunteers must also pay for their own travel costs and related expenses. One volunteer from the southern province of Narathiwat says he was moved to help after seeing upsetting footage on […]

The story More Thai volunteers sign up to fight Russian forces in Ukraine as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Thanks 1

I never cease to be amazed at how easily people are influenced by what they see on the TV.  Two weeks ago, not 5% of people could pick out Ukraine on a map and now, the percentage is pretty much the same.  However, after two weeks of relentless demonization of one side coupled with the utter silencing of any contrary or questioning narrative, people all over the world want to go risk their lives in a war they know nothing about, in countries they know nothing about, and where they can't speak any language involved.  The world gets more hopeless every day, both because of wars I don't understand but also because of the people, who understand less than I do, who fight in them.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Angry 1

30 minutes ago, JMJM said:

I never cease to be amazed at how easily people are influenced by what they see on the TV.  Two weeks ago, not 5% of people could pick out Ukraine on a map and now, the percentage is pretty much the same.  However, after two weeks of relentless demonization of one side coupled with the utter silencing of any contrary or questioning narrative, people all over the world want to go risk their lives in a war they know nothing about, in countries they know nothing about, and where they can't speak any language involved.  The world gets more hopeless every day, both because of wars I don't understand but also because of the people, who understand less than I do, who fight in them.  

I disagree.

The Maiden revolution in February 2014, when Viktor Yanukovych was ousted, was watched by millions & reported extensively throughout Europe.

https://www.britannica.com/place/Ukraine/The-Maidan-protest-movement

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, JMJM said:

"I never cease to be amazed at how easily people are influenced by what they see on the TV."

Of course people are going to be influenced by what they see on TV, most people totally abhor the slaughtering of men, women and children by a pumped up megalomaniac Putin.

"Two weeks ago, not 5% of people could pick out Ukraine on a map and now, the percentage is pretty much the same."

So what, it makes no difference, all we need to know is that some people are disgusted Putin can treat other human beings and are prepared to stand up and be counted, well done them for showing compassion to their fellow man.

"However, after two weeks of relentless demonization of one side coupled with the utter silencing of any contrary or questioning narrative, people all over the world want to go risk their lives in a war they know nothing about, in countries they know nothing about, and where they can't speak any language involved."

Do you think the world has chosen the wrong side to demonize, from where I am I think the majority of the world has got it exactly right. Most people couldn't speak German when they too risks their lives to rid the world of another mass murderer called Herr Hitler.

I am sorry if people are upsetting you by speaking the truth about pumped up Putin. WW3 coupled with nuclear warfare may be nearer to us then we could have ever envisaged and your worried about one side being demonized. 🥴

• Like 5

Many Thais also served in Europe in the USA. The reservist organisations in Germany already prooving because there a lot of inquiries. All my Thai friends have a clearly stand against the agressor Putin and thinking about already in the case Putin not stop to go to join the Ukrainian forces. There is a lot discussion at the moment under all who served in (germans,Thais or mixed) Germany about, too. But I am impressed about the Thai people and their feelings for the Ukrainian people and where their hearts are at this moment. This also shows that these Putin agressor posters are not welcomed.

5 minutes ago, Marble-eye said:

"I never cease to be amazed at how easily people are influenced by what they see on the TV."

Of course people are going to be influenced by what they see on TV, most people totally abhor the slaughtering of men, women and children by a pumped up megalomaniac Putin.

"Two weeks ago, not 5% of people could pick out Ukraine on a map and now, the percentage is pretty much the same."

So what, it makes no difference, all we need to know is that some people are disgusted Putin can treat other human beings and are prepared to stand up and be counted, well done them for showing compassion to their fellow man.

"However, after two weeks of relentless demonization of one side coupled with the utter silencing of any contrary or questioning narrative, people all over the world want to go risk their lives in a war they know nothing about, in countries they know nothing about, and where they can't speak any language involved."

Do you think the world has chosen the wrong side to demonize, from where I am I think the majority of the world has got it exactly right. Most people couldn't speak German when they too risks their lives to rid the world of another mass murderer called Herr Hitler.

I am sorry if people are upsetting you by speaking the truth about pumped up Putin. WW3 coupled with nuclear warfare may be nearer to us then we could have ever envisaged and your worried about one side being demonized. 🥴

You're the embodiment of the problem I was describing -- no desire to hear the other side of the story, just embrace and parrot what you've been told.  Thanks, but just give me that facts, all the facts, and I'll reach my own conclusions.  

49 minutes ago, JMJM said:

There is only one agressor and who is bombing and killing civilians and his name is Putin. And for sure nobody in the world can accept that. They understabd and children understand that if you not understand that you should ask yourself why. Putin even bombing now nuclear reactors sure Europeans will say ok no problem??! I guess you have no children otherwise you would understand it!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JMJM said:

You're the embodiment of the problem I was describing -- no desire to hear the other side of the story, just embrace and parrot what you've been told.  Thanks, but just give me that facts, all the facts, and I'll reach my own conclusions.  

I don't see Ukraine killing women and children and how rich is that a Putin apologist calling me part of the problem.😂😂😂

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JMJM said:

It seams your facts are Putins tv. The facts are out daily and who is the invading and killing civillians, woman and children. These are the facts daily documented. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Marble-eye said:

I don't see Ukraine killing women and children and how rich is that a Putin apologist calling me part of the problem.😂😂😂

Yes unbelievable what he is writing. He must be totally brainwashed or living in a paralell universe or organized for misinformation by Putin. The world watched the facts and he is asking for the facts. This guys only have North Korea who will share their views.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JMJM said:

This is one of the most ridiculous posts that I have ever seen.

"I never cease to be amazed at how easily people are influenced by what they see on the TV.  Two weeks ago, not 5% of people could pick out Ukraine on a map and now, the percentage is pretty much the same."

Yes, perhaps 2 weeks ago people couldn't place Ukraine on a map, but they knew it was in Eastern Europe. Now, 2 weeks later, they still know it is in Eastern Europe. Tell me; can you place Ecuador on a map? Can you place Sierra Leone on a map? No, but you know that they are countries in Latin America and Africa, and that is what matters.

Do you not understand that?

Respectfully, there has not been "demonization of one side"; one side has launched a chosen war of aggression against sovereign people for no other reason than they want to live free lives and not be subject to the whims of a foreign ex-KGB agent with a small penis and ego issues. Further, while perhaps some people might not quite understand what specifically they might get into, the human desire to help people being slaughtered unjustly is something to be lauded, not mocked. Finally, while there may well be better means for these people to assist, I personally admire people who are willing to get up off of the keyboard and try to do something. I doubt that they will make it to Ukraine, but people in Ukraine will hear that they tried and take heart from that. It is a good thing.

"The world gets more hopeless every day, both because of wars I don't understand but also because of the people, who understand less than I do, who fight in them. "

The world does NOT get more hopeless when people want to try to help those suffering unjustly; it gets better when fellow humans have the decency to care for others. Further, perhaps you do not understand, but everyone else in the world does; this is a chosen war, an evil undertaking, a callous killing of life and happiness solely because an old murderer can't stand the fact that another nation on his borders is doing better than his. Finally, instead of wasting your time behind a keyboard trying (and failing) to seem intelligent, perhaps you might spend your time learning just how truly evil this war of choice is.

Human relations are rarely black and white, but this one is. Ukraine wasn't and isn't a security threat to Russia; comparing military sizes and budgets demonstrates that. The "threat" of Ukraine to Russia is that it is a country building a record of freedom, respect for human rights and becoming a place to be proud of, and Putin's Russia is backsliding into a place of fear and hopelessness.

This is really easy; Ukraine good. Russia bad. Putin has small penis and ego issues.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JMJM said:

However, after two weeks of relentless demonization of one side coupled with the utter silencing of any contrary or questioning narrative,

That’s what you get when you attack a sovereign nation without them provoking it. Kinda of like when the neighborhood bully picks on the handicapped kid. No one later cares one bit what the bully has to say. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JMJM said:

I never cease to be amazed at how easily people are influenced by what they see on the TV.  

It’s called propaganda. I assume the western press shows markedly different coverage than the Russian press. I’m sitting on the fence about all this Russia/Ukraine business because I remember  the false claims of WMD to justify invading Iraq. Sodom Insane was a bad man but Iraq is a total shit hole now compared to what it was. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Fanta said:

It’s called propaganda. I assume the western press shows markedly different coverage than the Russian press. I’m sitting on the fence about all this Russia/Ukraine business because I remember  the false claims of WMD to justify invading Iraq. Sodom Insane was a bad man but Iraq is a total shit hole now compared to what it was. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. 

So you are claiming Russia is not invading Ukraine and bombing and killing civilians? Unbelievable! By the way over 1 million civilians were fleeing mostly children and woman, many children without their parents! 1 million false claims. Wow unbelievable! For sure you are under brainwashing propaganda influence!

8 minutes ago, Fanta said:

You can see, like I can see, how hopeless it is.  There is no questioning of the narrative we are fed, just screeching at anyone who dares to ask what the other side says.  Even after this is pointed out to them, they just scream the narrative even louder.  I feel like Benjamin the donkey in *1984*, or Cassandra.  

7 minutes ago, Stardust said:

So you are claiming Russia is not invading Ukraine and bombing and killing civilians? Unbelievable! By the way over 1 million civilians were fleeing mostly children and woman, many children without their parents! 1 million false claims. Wow unbelievable! For sure you are under brainwashing propaganda influence!

No, I said none of those things.  Everything I said is still there to read, which makes your completely fabricated summary of my comment even more inexplicable.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Fanta said:

I have relatives in Europe who help when the full trains are ariving with the fleeing childrens and mothers. Mostly children and traumatized. It is really disgusting there are posters who support killing and traumatize children and even claim after over 1 million arrived is propaganda. You better not go to europe anymore because nobody want such people there who apologize what happened at the moment and through what this families and children had go through. And anybody who is claiming about the daily arrivals of them are clearly want to spread misinformation and fake news!

14 minutes ago, JMJM said:

No, I said none of those things.  Everything I said is still there to read, which makes your completely fabricated summary of my comment even more inexplicable.  

I can read and maybe ask this mothers and children who wher running for their lives and arriving in european countries, the people who are helping what they think about people like you!

27 minutes ago, Fanta said:

The big difference here is that the western press is free to print what it likes without any impunity. The Russian press is not, Putin made sure of that and if that is where you are getting all your information from it is no wonder you all share the same mindset.

• Thanks 1

Phew.... that has escalated.

Please calm down, & when expressing a point of view, do not get  overexcited when someone posts a reply.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JMJM said:

Well the fact is that the Russian people elected Putin. The Ukrainian people voted for Zelensky. Zelenzky and his party clearly were wanting to move politically closer to Europe. Putin didn’t want that and so he’s invaded Ukraine, killing it’s citizens, threatening the world and today shelling areas around a nuclear power station. I’m really not sure what facts you are looking for in addition to these? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Stardust said:

It is really disgusting there are posters who support killing and traumatize children and even claim after over 1 million arrived is propaganda. And anybody who is claiming about the daily arrivals of them are clearly want to spread misinformation and fake news!

I didn’t support anything, I made that clear, and I said nothing about misinformation. So please take a calming breath, read my initial post again and stop with your accusations against me. Do you know what propaganda means?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propaganda

Iran wanted to get nuclear weapons. Israel: Don't do it, or we'll attack you! The public: Yeah, nuke Iran! 

North Korea wanted to get nuclear weapons. USA: Don't do it, or else we'll attack you! The public: Yeah, nuke North Korea! 

Ukraine wanted to get nuclear weapons. Russia: Don't do it, or we'll actually attack you! The public: WhY tF aRe yOu stArTiNg a WaR??? 

I think war is always bad, and should never happen, but I literally went sick from the west's hypocrite bullsh*t. If there were 3 parts of the world who love to invade other countries, it's USA, Europe and Israel. 

There was literally nothing going on and out of nowhere the USA and Europe started to say Russia is gonna invade Ukraine. Russia said it wasn't doing anything. Now that might have been a lie too because they had many soldiers near the border. But if you paid a bit of attention nothing happened until Ukraine started talking about going nuclear. It was in the news very briefly. Short enough to be ignored or forgotten. And after luring Ukraine into a conflict with Russia, NATO and USA ran away. They only seem to fight brown people who can't defend themselves. 

We have to look at it from 2 sides. Not doing so, will never end the war (which most people try to stop by only looking at it from only one point of view🤪) To Russia and China, the west is the bad guy, to the west, Russia and China are the bad guys. Now who is the bad guy? We can say it's the east, but that's just because we are from the west. They can say it's the west, but that's just because they are from the east. We've all been exposed to our own propaganda and never learned to understand the other point of view. NOTE: TO UNDERSTAND DOESN'T MEAN TO AGREE! We've only been conditioned to hate the other side. 

Did you know that a lot of the videos posted, were portrayed as real news but were actually fake? They were taken from movies, and god, even video games. How can you trust anything else they say? 

The sad part is that people would blame Russia over an old video of war crimes which were done by the USA, Israel or Saudi Arabia. 

And no, again, I don't support any war, and I'm not a huge fan of Putin, but look at the news and have your own opinion instead of blindly following what is said. 

And before someone comes at me saying: So you love Putin? So you love war? So you love watching Ukrainians getting slaughtered? My message to you is, read my comment again, but this time not through your hate filter. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Fanta said:

I didn’t support anything, I made that clear, and I said nothing about misinformation. So please take a calming breath, read my initial post again and stop with your accusations against me. Do you know what propaganda means?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propaganda

Sure I am aware about the putin propaganda you follow and some others. Same mindset, comments and away from any reality in facts. There are millions over millions in europe who witness everything, they not need to read anything to know whats going on!

58 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Well the fact is that the Russian people elected Putin. The Ukrainian people voted for Zelensky. Zelenzky and his party clearly were wanting to move politically closer to Europe. Putin didn’t want that and so he’s invaded Ukraine, killing it’s citizens, threatening the world and today shelling areas around a nuclear power station. I’m really not sure what facts you are looking for in addition to these? 

Both sides wanted to have Ukraine. I guess for all their resources. They couldn't care less about who dies. Both sides. The west's media is showing crocodile tears, but secretly I believe they hope that red button will be pushed so they can make more news. 

But to go back to where I started, that both the west and Russia wanted Ukraine was just in the background. The trigger was that Ukraine made a statement that they wanted to go nuclear. Not even a day, could be 2 days later, Russia went in. I've literally heard them say it, and Russia confirmed that that was the actual reason. They couldn't allow Ukraine to get those nuclear weapons. 

Again, I'll write this in advance for people who start claiming I love war, Putin and death of Ukrainians, hate democracy and all the bs. No, no, no and no. 

Just pointing out things that weren't pointed out enough yet. 

• Like 2