News Forum - US and Thai authorities search for body of missing WWII pilot

Thaiger

Thai and US authorities joined the mission to search for an American pilot who went missing more than 70 years ago during World War II. The pilot was flying a P-38 Lightning, a single-seated fighter aircraft, and officials suspect he went down in the northern province Lampang. Thailand promised to support the US mission to bring every soldier back home. US Chargé d’Affaires Michael Heath said he wanted to express gratitude to the local community, authorities and government for helping to fulfill the “sacred duty and promise to the nation.” “After more than 70 years the United States is still […]

The story US and Thai authorities search for body of missing WWII pilot as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

Any unfulfilled level of closure for relatives still alive must surely have waned into non-existence after 70 years. Perhaps it still is a nice gesture, but I don't see the point of it; all that's left now is a generic promise. 

• Like 2

'The search effort took place in an empty field near Baan Mae Kua village in the Sop Prap district. Thai media says a 98 year old woman who owns the land said an aircraft went down when she was 21 years old.'

I struggle to credit how an aircraft was seen to go down, in an empty field by a 21 year-old woman, and that there was no immediate and urgent rescue attempt, either by her and/or her neighbours that would have removed any element of doubt as to where the wrecked plane and its pilot were. Like so many tales of late, another that, to my mind at least, simply beggars belief.

• Like 4

I don't know what they expect to find.  Acidic soil, constant turning. inundated during monsoon season, will   speed up bone decomposition. I feel for the family, but a memorial to deceased would probably achieve more, and spending on living injured vets, might be better use of money. Man is dead and can't be helped now.

Think it is us government policy that were possible the remains of military personnel who died overseas are shipped back stateside for burial with full military honours.

the us public expect it also.

if the pilot's remains are found the whole story will get a lot of media attention in the us.

The 70 years ago aspect is not really relevant.

there are not many us military cemeteries located overseas.

Edited by Cathat
  • Like 2

Sorry but it sounds a bit ridiculous, 70 years, 1 soldier, crashed in an aircraft? 

The remains would most likely be unrecognizable if he crashed in an aircraft, not to mention it's been 70 years. 

49 minutes ago, dj230 said:

Sorry but it sounds a bit ridiculous, 70 years, 1 soldier, crashed in an aircraft? 

The remains would most likely be unrecognizable if he crashed in an aircraft, not to mention it's been 70 years. 

The us airforce will know who was flying the aircraft at the time and it may be possible to extract dna from human remains if located.finding the identity of the deceased pilot is straightforward.

Who would have thought that rather than marvel at the comraderie between nations, especially now, that cynical gloom would prevail on here. 

Depressing

11 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Who would have thought that rather than marvel at the comraderie between nations, especially now, that cynical gloom would prevail on here. 

Depressing

It's the way these forums go, I'm afraid.