News Forum - Thailand national Covid-19 hotline gets over 70,000 calls a day, system “overwhelmed”

Thaiger

People testing positive for Covid-19 are overwhelming Thailand’s national Covid-19 hotline with calls, despite the majority of people infected with Omicron having mild or no symptoms. The National Health Security Office announced today that there are now over 70,000 calls a day, and this is “exceeding the system capability”. The highest ever number of calls came on Tuesday, with 70,300 calls, and over 12,000 messages on non-voice direct channels. This news comes as the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration is making an effort to “change people’s mindset” about Covid-19. The centre is trying to calm people’s worries and remind them […]

The story Thailand national Covid-19 hotline gets over 70,000 calls a day, system “overwhelmed” as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration is making an effort to “change people’s mindset” about Covid-19.

Not an easy task since they've spent the past 2 years making people hystericaly scared of it.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, DoUKnowWhoIAm said:

Not an easy task since they've spent the past 2 years making people hystericaly scared of it.

Oh how correct you are. 555

• Like 2

Nah, I will not call them even I'm COVID-19 positive on my Day 5 ATK test, they're saying "overwhelmed", I will keep testing every 2 hours until negative. I just put a saline solution around my nasal and should be GTG.

13 hours ago, DoUKnowWhoIAm said:

I was going to say exactly that. I would be laughing if it was not so sad.

• Like 1

Opinion and Observation only, and pardon me for sounding cynical, but the timing of this article struck me as oddly out of place and backward reaching, juxtaposed a series of recent articles suggesting public/business sentiment and anxiety about COVID, is waning.  

This article reminded of my own experience in government public safety agencies, surging in and out of elevated security and crisis situations of various kinds. 

Otherwise anonymous, mid-to-lower level senior management can/do get a sense of satisfaction and praise for rising to the occasion.  Getting a draconian plan in place isn't easy.  Achieving public buy-in and compliance, sometimes underwritten by a frightening level of patriotic enthusiasm for escalating measures, no matter how outlandish they may become, is a dangerously heady feeling for humans to resist.   It's not unprecedented to consider that some might seek to be overly cautious in their assessments and predictions to senior leadership, in order to drag it out longer than truly necessary to, at worst, remain selfishly relevant. 

"The Wizard of Oz" dynamic.

That, and previous suggestions that certain senior government officials here could be willing to go along with it, in order to preserve the high degree of control they've come to appreciate, perhaps for reasons other than genuine concern for public Elf and Safety.