Soi Dog population explosion and rabies danger in Isaan and other provinces

Cardofish

2 hours ago, Benroon said:

I treat them with compassion I'm not thai. Perhaps they can sense the kind of person you are, in the last few decades no dog has ever attacked me perhaps I've just got lucky or who knows they can feel my kindness as someone who doesn't walk around with blade encrusted sticks (and they're dangerous right ?) 🤔

How many dog bites have you actually received ?

I could careless what kind of person the soidogs think I am ! I ‘m not seeking  their approval ! Actually they are a nuisance!

They at times congregate in front of the other houses and cause the multiple dogs inside those premises to bark and carry on excessively.All day,all night, everyday !

Thats all I have to say to you now and in the future

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

What some people fail to admit to is that these creatures are dogs in name only, they don't share any of the traits of our well behaved house dogs. These dogs on the street are wild desease ridden animals and anyone who says they are not dangerous are kidding themselves, just because they have not been bitten doesn't mean that other people have not been bitten.

95% of all human rabies related deaths come from stray dog bites and can spread this terrible disease to other animals to which humans have interactions with.

But these people who go out of their way to feed these creatures are part of the problem in increasing the wild dog population, these animals need culling in a humane manner, wild dogs do not belong on the streets of any civilised society.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, riclag said:

Thats all I have to say to you now and in the future

lol - did you type that line then pull your handbag up and trounce off ?

3 hours ago, Marble-eye said:

What some people fail to admit to is that these creatures are dogs in name only, they don't share any of the traits of our well behaved house dogs. These dogs on the street are wild desease ridden animals and anyone who says they are not dangerous are kidding themselves, just because they have not been bitten doesn't mean that other people have not been bitten.

95% of all human rabies related deaths come from stray dog bites and can spread this terrible disease to other animals to which humans have interactions with.

But these people who go out of their way to feed these creatures are part of the problem in increasing the wild dog population, these animals need culling in a humane manner, wild dogs do not belong on the streets of any civilised society.

Just nonsense driven by your anti dog agenda. Which other animals are the rabid dogs infecting that humans come into contact with out of interest ? 

Of course people get bitten by dogs, pet owners have been known to get bitten and ripped apart by their pet dogs and ... ? I fear this is going to come as a shock but people get bitten by dogs in every country on the planet - still I've never been bitten by one, I don't know anyone who's been bitten by one, never had rabies, or know anyone who's had rabies etc etc so I'm happy to take my chances there's more chance of me stumbling on the meaning of life (oh the rabies rate in Thailand is on the decline so there's some cheerful news)  so perhaps the dogs have a particular liking for drama queens, who knows.

So I'll carry on feeding the stray mutts because it brings me pleasure as a compassionate non grumpy human being. They seem to quite enjoy it too, it's a win win. 

3 minutes ago, Benroon said:

still I've never been bitten by one

Yet. 

3 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Of course people get bitten by dogs, pet owners have been known to get bitten and ripped apart by their pet dogs and ... ?

But yes, most dogs are assholes. Thank god I am a cat person. 

I hate dogs ever since I was 12 and the neighbor's German Shepherd killed my pet cat... Then that German Shepherd got a dose of his own medicine... and I was only 12.... Impressive what an enraged human is capable of doing, even at a young age. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Just nonsense driven by your anti dog agenda. Which other animals are the rabid dogs infecting that humans come into contact with out of interest ? 

Of course people get bitten by dogs, pet owners have been known to get bitten and ripped apart by their pet dogs and ... ? I fear this is going to come as a shock but people get bitten by dogs in every country on the planet - still I've never been bitten by one, I don't know anyone who's been bitten by one, never had rabies, or know anyone who's had rabies etc etc so I'm happy to take my chances there's more chance of me stumbling on the meaning of life (oh the rabies rate in Thailand is on the decline so there's some cheerful news)  so perhaps the dogs have a particular liking for drama queens, who knows.

So I'll carry on feeding the stray mutts because it brings me pleasure as a compassionate non grumpy human being. They seem to quite enjoy it too, it's a win win. 

Debating with love struck dog lover is like pushing an elephant up a staircase, we will never make it passed the first step and they will never concede what diseases these pests have. 

I haven't been bitten by any of these dirty mutts because I use the I bite first policy, dogs here have tried but have always come second, nudge nudge, know what I mean.

I am certainly not anti-dog as I have a little well behaved dog that doesn't mess on anybody else's property, but I would never class him as these flea and tick infested garbage that roam freely in Thailand.

Anyway I wouldn't to keep you away from your daily dishing out dinner for these dirty dogs. Bon appetit.🐕🐾🐶

• Like 3

Just now, Marble-eye said:

I use the I bite first policy, dogs here have tried but have always come second, nudge nudge, know what I mean.

Indeed, dogs only bite humans: 

A) When the human acts as a pussy, running away scared shitless. 

B) When they have some major defects and are completely nuts. 

C) When the human is a child. 

If you stand your ground, 99.99% of the times the dog will be scared shitless and won't do anything to you. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

If you stand your ground, 99.99% of the times the dog will be scared shitless and won't do anything to you. 

The problem here ST is that there are so many children who are scared of these horrible creatures but no-one ever considers their vulnerability. A while back we had an American knocked of his cycle by these wild dogs and killed, but nothing changes here, they are still allowed to roam with total impunity.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Marble-eye said:

The problem here ST is that there are so many children who are scared of these horrible creatures but no-one ever considers their vulnerability. A while back we had an American knocked of his cycle by these wild dogs and killed, but nothing changes here, they are still allowed to roam with total impunity.

And yet I've seen multiple other farangs bashing Thais because they say Thais are very cruel to soi dogs.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

And yet I've seen multiple other farangs bashing Thais because they say Thais are very cruel to soi dogs.

Quite possibly, they buy a cute puppy to amuse their children and when it turns into this grown up creature out on the street it goes to become somebody else's problem. 

I think that anyone who is even contemplating getting a dog should be made to go on a 3 months course for dog obedience, this goes for farang and Thais as most have no idea how to treat a dog.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Agreed but can I just clarify on your point B - were you referring to the dogs or the humans ? 🤔

On 3/19/2022 at 10:21 AM, Benroon said:

I treat them with compassion I'm not thai. Perhaps they can sense the kind of person you are, in the last few decades no dog has ever attacked me perhaps I've just got lucky or who knows they can feel my kindness as someone who doesn't walk around with blade encrusted sticks (and they're dangerous right ?) 🤔

How many dog bites have you actually received ?

Do you eat animals? if yes how is that being compassionate?

16 hours ago, Marble-eye said:

Come off it - were you there ? one tourist gets knocked off their bike (I wonder how many hundreds of times that happens GLOBALLY and yet I can’t recall reading of any dog cull as a result) and you expect a government to down tools and throw their efforts to a ‘problem’ contained it seems exclusively within the grumpy old expat division. 

Boy you’ve got a lot of governmental expectation disappointments coming your way. 

PS I don’t know of these ‘so many’ scared children - like I don’t know of any bitten or rabid humans - still perhaps a higher degree of parenting would fix this latest ‘problem’ ?

🦴

9 minutes ago, Sarisin said:

Do you eat animals? if yes how is that being compassionate?

That’s a rather large assumption you made there - no. 

51 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Come off it - were you there ? one tourist gets knocked off their bike (I wonder how many hundreds of times that happens GLOBALLY and yet I can’t recall reading of any dog cull as a result) and you expect a government to down tools and throw their efforts to a ‘problem’ contained it seems exclusively within the grumpy old expat division. 

Boy you’ve got a lot of governmental expectation disappointments coming your way. 

PS I don’t know of these ‘so many’ scared children - like I don’t know of any bitten or rabid humans - still perhaps a higher degree of parenting would fix this latest ‘problem’ ?

🦴

Already back from your nocturnal nourishment of the dog population I see, any more of these disease ridden curs been born whilst you were away to add to our already bursting at the seams plague of muts.

You "don't know a right lot" because you don't care, you are adding to the misery of these animals but like most other 'dog lovers' you think you are doing the right thing and because someone gets killed you sweep it under the carpet with a remark "one tourist was knocked off his bike" you forgot to add 'and killed. Typical dog lover, no idea.

2 minutes ago, Transam said:

I have a lovely big dog, but the pack that roams around our area, and attacks my car, I would gladly shoot.

A bit like I have no real probs with humans, but the likes of innocent human attackers, like ISIS, is another matter....😋

I have a small dog and he is very well looked after but the problem I have with these so called dog do gooders, is that  they think that by feeding these strays they are being the modern day version of Dr Doolittle when infact all that they are achieving is adding more of these pests to the already bulging population of stray dogs.

Rabies is back with a vengeance, these dogs are disease ridden and once the abandoned critters are left to merge with the already strays that are left to bite and sh!te anywhere they please. Dogs are pack animals and will chase humans or other friendly dogs to attack them, that's what dogs do.

Cyclists and motorbike riders and of course children are especially vulnerable to these dangerous animals, but trying telling that to a budding Dr Doolittle and it's water off a ducks back, they don't care, they should be just as culpable as the dogs themselves and fined for deliberately encouraging the growth of the stray population.

But you will never get this message through to a DL, all you will get is a blank look of dispair.

7 hours ago, Marble-eye said:

Already back from your nocturnal nourishment of the dog population I see, any more of these disease ridden curs been born whilst you were away to add to our already bursting at the seams plague of muts.

You "don't know a right lot" because you don't care, you are adding to the misery of these animals but like most other 'dog lovers' you think you are doing the right thing and because someone gets killed you sweep it under the carpet with a remark "one tourist was knocked off his bike" you forgot to add 'and killed. Typical dog lover, no idea.

Yes back - I did see a tiny one so possibly just born, cute as anything. Will take milk tomorrow to give it a good start. Which diseases are you pertaining too out of interest apart from the declining rabies rates and the odd flea ?

Bit confused about what I don't care about in inverted commas ? The way the wee chaps lapped up their biscuits and the odd dentastix chew suggested to me they were anything but miserable. 

I didn't sweep anything under the carpet, I merely put an isolated incident into perspective whereas you used an isolated incident to support your national extermination programme agenda only sought predominantly by grumpy old expats. Can you see the difference there ?

You really don't have clue about dogs do you, feeding these disease ridden creatures hardly makes you an expert, infact you appear to know nothing about dogs only 'how cute' they are.

Diseases you ask well you may think that rabies is declining, well just to inform you it is on the increase, but hey aren't they cute. But if there one dog on the streets of the UK with Rabies there would be a public outcry. Which begs the question what goes through the minds of people who know very little about dogs but still want to increase the population of these smelly creatures. "Dog bites account for as much as 95 percent of all human rabies-related deaths in Thailand. Dogs can also spread rabies to other species like cows and cats, with which the Thai population interacts regularly."

But you're not bothered about assisting the spread of these diseases are you Ben, it's all about the feel good factor and it doesn't matter how much other people have to suffer through the selfish acts of others. 

You probably don't get it, you will never get it, suffice to say that you are part of the problem. woof woof 

For those of you who wish to be the protectorate of stray dogs in Thailand, I can only assume you have never had those stray dogs 1. string garbage night after night. 2. have them kill your chickens. 3. crap on your restaurant floor night after night. 4. pack up and raid duck farms during the night. 5. pack up and howl at all hours night after night. 6. chase and bite bike and motorcycles and evening walkers.  If it were legal to own a high power pellet rifle, there would be far less to complain about BTW.

Edited by Cardofish

• 2 weeks later...

Yes the dog population is growing in the north east and yes it is upsetting to some people.  However, when taken within the context of Thailand’s structure and history to date, it is manageable.  Reading this thread, one is also given the impression that there is a dire epidemic of rabies in Thailand and that it is out of control. The reality is that rabies is well managed in Thailand. The country was well on its way to a rabies free status in 2021, but Covid interfered with the delivery date. As per the WHO and Thai MOH data, there are 90% fewer rabies cases in Thailand today than there were 40 years ago. There has also been an ongoing campaign of vaccination sponsored by Her Royal Highness Princess Chulabhorn Mahidol.  She has also supported the cat and dog sterilization campaigns. Unfortunately, the  countrywide programs were disrupted by Covid. Once the Covid crisis subsides, the  programs will go back to  delivering on their  historic success. 

Some of the claims here are preposterous, and read more like delusions. And of course the thread features the usual uncorroborated fantasy story, “I heard about some guy who fell off his bike because of a soi dog”.  The delusions hold that there is a rabies national health crisis when the reality is quite different.For the entire country of Thailand, in 2020, 3 people died of rabies. In 2021, 1 person died of rabies. hardly a crisis is it?

Now consider how many people die on any given day from sexually transmitted diseases. If we apply the OP’s logic to just the HPV variants that culminate in the oral and genital cancers that kill thousands of people every year in Thailand, it would require a culling of hundreds of people as they present a greater risk to health than a soi dog. In any given hour, more people will be  killed or injured in a vehicle collision than will be at risk of rabies. Thailand is trying to focus and the most pressing of risks first and it is not rabies, nor soi dogs.

FYI, Thailands  public health priority is moving towards insect borne diseases like dengue. We are much more likely to die from dengue than rabies.

• Thanks 1