News Forum - Ukrainian and Russian tourists face problems with financial transactions, travel

Thaiger

21 hours ago, Stardust said:

Yes the credit cards are done because they cut the swift to russian banks. Only credit cards over foreign banks and must be outside of Russia, because they also went on the Russian central bank, will work for them

Yes, that should work. But I doubt that many Russians have a credit card issued from a bank outside Russia. Sure, the super-rich will have that, but an average Russian? Need to have and maintain a foreign bank account, which is not all that easy in many countries if you can't provide a domestic address in this country.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Grant said:

Question:

How can Thailand not take a stance and say they are Neutral?

So that’s saying Russia invaded Ukraine but we don’t want to condemn that because we make too much money fro Russia?

That is just poor and embarrassing 😳 

It just proves that Thailand seems to have no scruples, and they just care about money !

This seems to be how this country conducts its business in many ways !

Money is the only thing that talks here ,not what’s right and what’s wrong? 

Respect!!

Yes respect.

Respect the country you are currently enjoying the hospitality of and STFU

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Fundok said:

Yes, that should work. But I doubt that many Russians have a credit card issued from a bank outside Russia. Sure, the super-rich will have that, but an average Russian? Need to have and maintain a foreign bank account, which is not all that easy in many countries if you can't provide a domestic address in this country.

Sure I fully agree and they freeze already from the rich these foreign bank accounts.

19 hours ago, CamPat said:

I will start a go fund me action to support both Ukrainian and Russians because they got cut off the f***ing Swift. The money collected will be handed over to the ambassador of each country because their embassies are in charge for the distribution of aid.................................and perhaps need help themself, too.

These are people like you and me, World Citizens that are taken hostage by some political arsonists. F...k them.

Feel free to spend your money as you like, but for me those 800'000+ Ukrainians that already left their country with nothing much more than they could carry are much more worthy deserving aid than those stranded tourists. Russia can always send planes (well, no fighter jets, as they are needed to bomb civilian targets in Ukraine) to get their people back, but for Ukrainians stranded in Thailand things are difficult. Where to go? No more civil aviation possible in Ukraine.

So maybe you want to rethink of who is really in dire straits now and needs help.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Stardust said:

But Russia is down and will not be able pay anything in Thailand. And soon there will be anyway no more planes from Russia in the air. Just in the european news the Russian airlines are cut of suppling spareparts for their planes. I think when they realize that their neutrality is very quick gone.

Indeed, both Airbus and Boeing act in rare unity here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

I have to be harsh and say that it is the Russian people who have to take some of this responsibility

"Every nation has the government it deserves” - French philosopher Joseph de Maistre

• Like 2

6 hours ago, HiuMak said:

Cannot imagine travelling with credit card being rejected. It will be a nightmare for these Russians

Much less of a nightmare than for those Ukrainians being subjected to Russian cruise missiles day after day, having to sleep in bunkers, basements and subway stations. My empathy for Russian tourists not being able to use their credit cards has limits.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Manu said:

Inapropriate comparaison here mate. You really think most russians want this war? Are not ashamed? Do they disserve it? They are just collateral victims of the Putin regime and not just a for a week now but for years. Journalists, human rights lawyers, etc... disapearing, killed or jailed, opposition muzzled, etc... many are in exile in the West fearing for their lives etc... 1000s more facing jail right now for having protested against the war all over Russia etc...

It seems, again, the western mainstream media propaganda in full power cut off all possibility of being objective. Again, nothing is either all white or all black.

Zelenskiy for a start... Nothing more than a corrupt greedy liar, who did not mind the help of the "russians" in order to hide his wealth and getting richer (https://www.theguardian.com/news/2021/oct/03/revealed-anti-oligarch-ukrainian-president-offshore-connections-volodymyr-zelenskiy)

Secondly, I wonder if the Russians (I mean the Putin regime not the people) were to set up army bases and missiles in Mexico or in Cuba (that went down well back then) what would happen? Yes we all know and everyone would agree with that. NATO (the US) have been humiliating a psychopat dictator for years, Putin, what did they think would happen? What is happening now is also the result of that and has been hanging in the air for some years.

The thing is while our leaders are playing the game of who's got the bigger one, then eventually it is populations, people like you and me and the people of Ukraine now that will suffer, including russian people that have never backed up their own hateful Putin regime. There is NO good war, there is only another round of human desolation as the usual result of our leader's actions.

My point here Soidog, is that one should not compare people's misery, the one of the Ukrainian people under fire and the Russians in Phuket whom are not able to get a penny out of their own bank account they worked hard for all their lives in order to feed their familiies. It is not on. None of these people asked to be in this situation, the world leaders created it, the psychopath dictator Putin went for it. History repeats itself.

I agree to the extent that neither the ordinary Russian nor Ukrainian asked to be in this situation. But the "situation" they find themselves in could be more different. The Russian hasn't got access to his bank account/credit card, and the Ukrainian is under attack, bombed, deprived of living a normal life.

The majority of Russians voted for Putin's party (let's set aside for a moment that Putin did everything to make it difficult for opposition parties) do they got the president they voted for. Surely many of those now stranded in Phuket and elsewhere in Thailand have voted for this president. You get what you vote for.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cabra said:

"Every nation has the government it deserves” - French philosopher Joseph de Maistre

That’s correct. And the Police it deserves

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Fundok said:

Indeed, both Airbus and Boeing act in rare unity here.

Including Mercedes and BMW, that may even be worse for some.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Grant said:

Question:

How can Thailand not take a stance and say they are Neutral?

So that’s saying Russia invaded Ukraine but we don’t want to condemn that because we make too much money fro Russia?

That is just poor and embarrassing 😳 

It just proves that Thailand seems to have no scruples, and they just care about money !

This seems to be how this country conducts its business in many ways !

Money is the only thing that talks here ,not what’s right and what’s wrong? 

Respect!!

Question:

Since you obviously disagree very much with Thailand's stance, will you still be staying in Thailand (if you already are) or will you show them that you have the scruples and leave?

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Manu said:

NATO (the US) have been humiliating a psychopat dictator for years, Putin, what did they think would happen?

Ah OK, I see. So it's NATO's fault (NATO isn't the US by the way) for being horrid to Putin? 

Get a grip man. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, MikeEllen said:

Ah OK, I see. So it's NATO's fault (NATO isn't the US by the way) for being horrid to Putin? 

Get a grip man. 

No, the US funded the regime change in 2014 that started the whole problem and NATO helped it along.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Poolie said:

No, the US funded the regime change in 2014 that started the whole problem and NATO helped it along.

So it isn't NATO or the US's fault that Putin just sent nearly 200,000 troops into a neighbouring country and is bombing them back to the dark ages then? 

Confused. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Sure according to the North Korean times and Putin news. Sure the Ukraine people didn't want to vote their own government and to be a souvereign country. I guess you have to go to a forum from your allies they would share your definition of reality like North Korea, Eritrea, Belarus and by the way all dictatorship countries for sure without any forums 😅🤣😂😆

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Poolie said:

That just isn't true though. You read the wrong newspapers. You swallow putin's seed big time. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, MikeEllen said:

That just isn't true though. You read the wrong newspapers. You swallow putin's seed big time. 

That's what the history books will say. I dont read newpapers of any description. There was no need for the gratuitous insult. It only shows your sheer ignorance.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Fundok said:

You get what you vote for.

On top of that you get as "they" told you, whom the majority did vote for!

5 minutes ago, Poolie said:

That's what the history books will say. I dont read newpapers of any description. There was no need for the gratuitous insult. It only shows your sheer ignorance.

You mean in the history books of north korea, Putin and Xi but not in the rest of the world and for sure not in any history book in Ukraine. Oh I forgot you know the history better than the Ukrainian people because your emporer xi told you what is the right history and the truth.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Poolie said:

I can tell the truth hurts. You're also quite thin skinned, like the murderer you defend. 🙏👍

• Like 1

I like the way Putin meets people at tables of ever increasing length.

It reminds me of some of the absurd stuff Hitler did.

32 minutes ago, Changnam43 said:

I like the way Putin meets people at tables of ever increasing length.

It reminds me of some of the absurd stuff Hitler did.

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. 

He is now mad, and therefore extremely dangerous. He must go and he will go. I just hope we see him jailed. 

• Like 1

In a world that is polarized Putin underestimated the power of unity that his actions provoked. 193 UN Member States demanded that Russia “immediately, completely and unconditionally withdraw all of its military forces from the territory of Ukraine within its internationally recognized borders.” Five countries - Belarus, the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (more commonly known as North Korea) Eritrea, Russia and Syria - voted against it. You're in good company Changnam. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Manu said:

It seems, again, the western mainstream media propaganda in full power cut off all possibility of being objective. Again, nothing is either all white or all black.

Oh it's pretty black and white in this case. Russia had no reason, cause or right to invade. They lied about why they invaded. They are now slaughtering civilians.

Zelenskiy for a start... Nothing more than a corrupt greedy liar, who did not mind the help of the "russians" in order to hide his wealth and getting richer (https://www.theguardian.com/news/2021/oct/03/revealed-anti-oligarch-ukrainian-president-offshore-connections-volodymyr-zelenskiy)

...as opposed to Putin and his Oligarchs?

At least Zelensky is standing side by side with his people, while Putin is cowering in his gold-covered bunker.

Secondly, I wonder if the Russians (I mean the Putin regime not the people) were to set up army bases and missiles in Mexico or in Cuba (that went down well back then) what would happen? Yes we all know and everyone would agree with that. NATO (the US) have been humiliating a psychopat dictator for years, Putin, what did they think would happen? What is happening now is also the result of that and has been hanging in the air for some years.

Well, it turns out none of this really matters, because Russia made a mistake and revealed the real reason for the invasion. It's all about Putin's ego and desire to be a big, tough guy. He wants to be ruler (dictator) of a Russian Empire. That's it.

https://mil.in.ua/en/news/brave-new-world-of-putin-an-article-by-the-propaganda-publication-ria-novosti-which-was-to-be-published-after-the-occupation-of-ukraine/

The thing is while our leaders are playing the game of who's got the bigger one, then eventually it is populations, people like you and me and the people of Ukraine now that will suffer, including russian people that have never backed up their own hateful Putin regime. There is NO good war, there is only another round of human desolation as the usual result of our leader's actions.

I agree, regular people are the ones carrying the burden. But that doesn't mean it's OK to let fascist Putin carry on as he wishes.

My point here Soidog, is that one should not compare people's misery, the one of the Ukrainian people under fire and the Russians in Phuket whom are not able to get a penny out of their own bank account they worked hard for all their lives in order to feed their familiies. It is not on. None of these people asked to be in this situation, the world leaders created it, the psychopath dictator Putin went for it. History repeats itself.

I agree again, and I actually think getting more Russians to travel outside of Russia is a good thing because it exposes them to ideas and facts that are censored in their home country.

Edited by Guphz
Added link
  • Like 1