News Forum - Russian Ambassador meets with Phuket officials, discusses establishing a sister city

Thaiger

It is funny reading all the moans and complaints about this topic regarding the lack of reaction towards the Russians by Thailand.

The farangs complaining have been quite silent for years on what is happening to other countries around the world where private citizens are being killed by soldiers.

But now because the Russians are up to no good which directly affects them they think the rest of the world should help. 

How selfish.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tim_Melb said:

That would force them to join with Russia and support Russia. Is that what you want to achieve? 

Don’t worry. They will be setting up twin towns in the US, UK and Germany. You know the Thais, everyone’s friend and no one’s friend when it comes to conflict. Back both sides and speak out of both sides of their mouth. Someone has to win this battle and they want to make sure they are on the winning side, no matter who that is. Truly unconscionable. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, JamesR said:

It is funny reading all the moans and complaints about this topic regarding the lack of reaction towards the Russians by Thailand.

The farangs complaining have been quite silent for years on what is happening to other countries around the world where private citizens are being killed by soldiers.

But now because the Russians are up to no good which directly affects them they think the rest of the world should help. 

How selfish.

Would you like to give some examples of where “Farangs” (whoever they are) have been silent when soldiers are killing private citizens? Please don’t give examples such as Iraq and Afghanistan or you will be inundated with news clips of “Farang” protesters in just about every major city in “Farang land” 

• Like 6

58 minutes ago, JamesR said:

Rest of the world?

It is more like a few Western countries. 

Just totally wrong @JamesR I wouldn’t call Indonesia, Japan, Libya, Niger, Kenya to name just a few as “a few Western Countries. 

60C8FB0C-5392-458D-804C-F04E6A17DFC5.jpeg

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Would you like to give some examples of where “Farangs” (whoever they are) have been silent when soldiers are killing private citizens? Please don’t give examples such as Iraq and Afghanistan or you will be inundated with news clips of “Farang” protesters in just about every major city in “Farang land” 

Nah, I have to get some work finished today so I will leave it at that otherwise this could turn into a marathon thread. 👍

Thailand better be carefull, anyone helping Russia in there invasion are being looked on as sanction fodder such as Belarus. Russian Aircrafy are already struggleing to fly out of Russia.

• Like 4

Thailand has not made an official statement denouncing Russia. However, I heard from some business people that they were not allowed to import any supplies from Russia since the weekend. This was a response to businesses having problems with Ukrainian suppliers. So, officially the Thai government might not say much, but they actually support the effort against the Russian regime.

• Like 1

Between the taxi Mafia and the hoards of disgusting rude Russians (the only tourists worse than Chinese), I have no desire to ever go back to Phuket ever again.  There's so many other better beach destinations in Thailand and the rest of SE Asia.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, WR2 said:

Between the taxi Mafia and the hoards of disgusting rude Russians (the only tourists worse than Chinese), I have no desire to ever go back to Phuket ever again.  There's so many other better beach destinations in Thailand and the rest of SE Asia.

I have never come across any rude Russians, the Chinese do not cause any harm as tourists.

You staying away is good for the rest of who like Phuket, winge somewhere else. 😃

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Thaiger said:

The Russian Ambassador to Thailand met with officials in Phuket to discuss establishing Russia’s Kamchatka Krai Administrative Region as a sister city and other matters that affect the roughly 8,000 Russian citizens on the island. Vice Governor Pichet Panapong says Thai authorities are in the process of reviewing the Memorandum of Understanding with the region, adding that it is being handled by the Treaty Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Ministry of Interior. Ambassador Evgeny Tomikhin also discussed plans for a new Muay Thai camp in Phuket. Information on the meeting released by Phuket’s public relations department says […]

The story Russian Ambassador meets with Phuket officials, discusses establishing a sister city as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

This sort of discussion should be put on ice until the unprovoked attack of Russia on Ukraine is resolved. Anything else would internationally backfire badly on Phuket. Or was this just a typo? Not a Russian "sister city" but "sinister city"?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JamesR said:

Rest of the world?

It is more like a few Western countries. 

It's way more than just a "few" western countries imposing sanctions on Russia.

• Like 3

How selfish.

Difficult comparison. Full fledge unprovoked war on a democratic country is not the same as private citizen being killed by soldiers/militia (which is of course also to be condemned).

• Like 2

The Russians living in Thailand/Phuket should be expelled as nationals of a periaha state. They will very soon become a problem in Thailand,  as their money is virtually worthless, they can not access credit using  Visa/ Mastercard etc. They should be deported.

This would put extra pressure on Moscow, to know that countries are telling its nationals that they are not welcome anymore.

The Thai government should stop trying to have its cake and eat it, either stand with West or you may well find that the western tourists vote with their feet. Easy decision for many, with the crap entry requirements and Thailand Pass in situ. 

• Like 3

How selfish.

Agreed 100%, @JamesR but it's not just here but across the West and I wouldn't have said "selfish" so much as openly racist and hypocritical in extremis.

Far worse has been happening in Yemen, the Middle East, and across Africa, but the West's only reaction was to try to sell one or both sides more weapons and leave them to it.

But now that it's happening on Europe's doorstep and it involves white Christians vs the reds it's WW3 and if you're not with us, even if you're non-aligned, you're against us and you're welcome as refugees.

All a bit sickening, to be honest.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stonker said:

Agreed 100%, @JamesR but it's not just here but across the West and I wouldn't have said "selfish" so much as openly racist and hypocritical in extremis.

Far worse has been happening in Yemen, the Middle East, and across Africa, but the West's only reaction was to try to sell one or both sides more weapons and leave them to it.

But now that it's happening on Europe's doorstep and it involves white Christians vs the reds it's WW3 and if you're not with us, even if you're non-aligned, you're against us and you're welcome as refugees.

All a bit sickening, to be honest.

It may not be racist as such but just self interest which happens within every country in the world not just Europe, all countries are only involved or cares if it suits them.

It has nothing to do with white Christians or any other religion as most people in the UK for instance are not Christians, most have no religion.

And I am not sure if there ever has been a world war, if the West are fighting then it is called a WW, for instance in WW2 only fifty out of the two hundred countries (200 depending on a countries politics) in the world fought. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Soidog said:

Just totally wrong @JamesR I wouldn’t call Indonesia, Japan, Libya, Niger, Kenya to name just a few as “a few Western Countries. 

60C8FB0C-5392-458D-804C-F04E6A17DFC5.jpeg

Back now, work finished.

I see from the map there is a massive "Neutral stance", in other words they do not care.

I wonder what "condemning the attack" means in real life terms, probably not much.

I don't blame them as most countries in the world care about their own citizens and only get involved if it is in their national interest. 

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

3 hours ago, JamesR said:

I have never come across any rude Russians, the Chinese do not cause any harm as tourists.

You staying away is good for the rest of who like Phuket, winge somewhere else. 😃

So if you haven't made negative experiences with neither you've been lucky I would say. Russians can be very annoying, especially when drunk. And they do like to drink. Chinese can be very special too. But then, also other nationalities can make nasty tourists too.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JamesR said:

How selfish.

It must make it right then🤮

• Like 1

Economic invasion is best....no lives lost. Thailand is a sucker for that with CCP and now Russian. Cheers to more vodka

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JamesR said:

Back now, work finished.

I see from the map there is a massive "Neutral stance", in other words they do not care.

I wonder what "condemning the attack" means in real life terms, probably not much.

I don't blame them as most countries in the world care about their own citizens and only get involved if it is in their national interest. 

If speaking out and helping support a democratic sovereign nation isn’t in the national interest, then I don’t know what is. Unless of course your own nation is itself controlled by a dictator and undemocratic. As the saying goes: The only thing necessary for evil to triumph, is for good men to do nothing. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Thaiger said:

The Russian Ambassador to Thailand met with officials in Phuket to discuss establishing Russia’s Kamchatka Krai Administrative Region as a sister city and other matters that affect the roughly 8,000 Russian citizens on the island. Vice Governor Pichet Panapong says Thai authorities are in the process of reviewing the Memorandum of Understanding with the region, adding that it is being handled by the Treaty Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Ministry of Interior. Ambassador Evgeny Tomikhin also discussed plans for a new Muay Thai camp in Phuket. Information on the meeting released by Phuket’s public relations department says […]

The story Russian Ambassador meets with Phuket officials, discusses establishing a sister city as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

And how he finance the Muay Thai camp? Russian express card with crypto? Btw there will be no more aeroflot flights or do Thailand accept Wodka for the payments of the cerosin?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, BIGGLES said:

The Russians living in Thailand/Phuket should be expelled as nationals of a periaha state. They will very soon become a problem in Thailand,  as their money is virtually worthless, they can not access credit using  Visa/ Mastercard etc. They should be deported.

This would put extra pressure on Moscow, to know that countries are telling its nationals that they are not welcome anymore.

The Thai government should stop trying to have its cake and eat it, either stand with West or you may well find that the western tourists vote with their feet. Easy decision for many, with the crap entry requirements and Thailand Pass in situ. 

It is clear who will win. China cannot deliver anymore because Germany said no, the Russians are kicked out of the world finance, trading, their economy was already before down and now it is complety crashed, Russian banks bankrupt, the Russian Central Bank is blocked and the Russian reserves are frozen and taken. All loans of Thailand are in Euro and US dollars like with Thai airways the debitors are Germany, Swiss, USA and Japan, thats why they had to apply there at the courts for debt protection that they can operate. Guess where the reserves of Thailand are. Not in China 🤪🤣😁

• Like 3

17 hours ago, francoa said:

lol, Russia literally starting WW3, killing innocent people, everyone getting their hands of russia, but, the smell of money is priority for Thai Military government. 

Maybe, but all they will get is a smell, the Ruble has crashed and it's just the start, the Russian economy is expected to contract by 20% this year (10% is the technical definition of a depression).

Russian tourists are a thing of the past for 5-10 years. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JamesR said:

Some years ago I decked a Russian tourist who was aggressively demanding cash from all and sundry (he grabbed me) in a Phuket bar.

and the Chinese are renowned in Thailand for their lack of manners (eg crapping in the moat in Chiang Mai in broad daylight).  

• Like 3

10 hours ago, vlad said:

Thailand better be carefull, anyone helping Russia in there invasion are being looked on as sanction fodder such as Belarus. Russian Aircrafy are already struggleing to fly out of Russia.

Most airspace of the world already blocked for any Russian aircraft. Started today. Already the Bospurus is blocked for russian navy. They are locked in Nato countries area in the mediteran sea.

• Like 3