News Forum - Russian Ambassador meets with Phuket officials, discusses establishing a sister city

Thaiger

The Russian Ambassador to Thailand met with officials in Phuket to discuss establishing Russia’s Kamchatka Krai Administrative Region as a sister city and other matters that affect the roughly 8,000 Russian citizens on the island. Vice Governor Pichet Panapong says Thai authorities are in the process of reviewing the Memorandum of Understanding with the region, adding that it is being handled by the Treaty Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Ministry of Interior. Ambassador Evgeny Tomikhin also discussed plans for a new Muay Thai camp in Phuket. Information on the meeting released by Phuket’s public relations department says […]

The story Russian Ambassador meets with Phuket officials, discusses establishing a sister city as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

The Russian Ambassador to Thailand met with officials in Phuket to discuss establishing Russia’s Kamchatka Krai Administrative Region as a sister city

That might not be a good idea .. 

38 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

and other matters that affect the roughly 8,000 Russian citizens on the island.

the value of the ruble which is in now valuewise in the basement rubble of the buildings they've been destroying possibly .?

• Like 1

What a ridiculous thing to do …has the Vice  Governor Pichet Panapong understand what the rest of the world is doing to Russia in response to its unprovoked invasion of Ukraine…? Wake up and smell the coffee…what a clown! 

• Like 16
  • Haha 1

You'd think the Gov might want to read the room before proceeding with this plus the fact that the Ruble has hit parity with single ply sorbent (and this is before most of the effect that sanctions will have on the Russian economy hits) suggests that there won't be many big spending Russian tourists for quite some time.

• Like 3

".... as the "SITUATION" continues". This is a WAR not a SITUATION. Children are getting killed by RUSSIAN BOMBS. No words about the loss of lives, no words condemning the invasion of a  democracy. Instead: do not worry Russians are still coming to the island. I am disgusted.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

As the article puts it, impeccable timing. With flights in and out Russia all but dried up, and with the rouble sinking so fast that it will soon reach parity with the Cambodian Riel, will we soon be treated to the spectacle more often associated with the South Asians, but this time with groups of Russians sharing a Coke between five of them. 

• Like 1

Utterly disgusting that Phuket gives even the time of day to the Russian ambassador. But I suppose we should not be surprised given he is the lapdog of the coup leader who now styles himself  Thai Prime Minister, at least for a short while longer. Never will I visit Phuket and I have decided to double my donation to the Ukrainian Embassy bank account that they have set up to raise humanitarian funds.

• Like 12
  • Angry 1

lol, Russia literally starting WW3, killing innocent people, everyone getting their hands of russia, but, the smell of money is priority for Thai Military government. 

• Like 11

How about putting these discussions on hold AND closing Thai airspace to Russian flights?  I fear, in the interest of  not pissing of a couple thousand Russians, Thailand is about to be the ONLY Asian nation giving de facto support of a tyrannical Russia/Putin.

• Like 9

Golly Gee Willikers!

Mr. Big Ego just needs to say thank you for the offer to join at the hip Comrade, but this is not the time of all times and very inappropriate to discuss anything of the sort since your leader declared war and invaded a free country all the while with and extra of threatening the world with waging nuclear war. 

But please come again.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

"[...] There has been a lot of reaction in terms of tourism, but no impact yet, so I urge people not to worry about it.”

What an amazing yet at the same time utterly predictable statement!

It's like seeing the sea receding into the distance and then urging people not to worry because the tsunami hasn't arrived yet.

That doesn't mean people should go into blind panic mode. It does mean that sometimes it's OK to worry and come up with constructive reactions. 

• Like 4

Maybe western people should start banning countries that are ignoring what Russia is doing as well. Hard to make Russia behave when whole Asia is sucking their butts because of money.

• Like 3

I suspect this is Thailand seeing the rich oligarchs from Russia looking to put their money elsewhere after the west has been clamping down.

If thats the case then expect huge sanctions against Thailand from them. 

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Ambassador Evgeny Tomikhin also discussed plans for a new Muay Thai camp in Phuket.

Right, there are just not enough of them!

4 hours ago, Insurgent said:

What a ridiculous thing to do …has the Vice  Governor Pichet Panapong understand what the rest of the world is doing to Russia in response to its unprovoked invasion of Ukraine…? Wake up and smell the coffee…what a clown! 

Where has this Governor been for the past week.. His only concern is that Russian tourists might be effected. You couldn't make this up

• Like 4

What The #@?!   You’ve got to be kidding me.  Blood money.  Thailand will have blood money on its hands…. Wow

• Like 3

4 hours ago, francoa said:

Maybe western people should start banning countries that are ignoring what Russia is doing as well. Hard to make Russia behave when whole Asia is sucking their butts because of money.

That would force them to join with Russia and support Russia. Is that what you want to achieve? 

• Like 1

Maybe the Thailand Government should consider it’s options regarding Russian visitors.  It is no longer business as usual, considering Russia’s aggressive actions towards civilians in The Ukraine.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

I suspect this is Thailand seeing the rich oligarchs from Russia looking to put their money elsewhere after the west has been clamping down.

If thats the case then expect huge sanctions against Thailand from them. 

Or they could let it all in, and then confiscate it. Not the first time that's happen in history. Just saying. Count me on the side of thinking this is at best tone deaf and clueless on the part of Thailand.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Insurgent said:

Rest of the world?

It is more like a few Western countries. 

• Like 1