News Forum - ASEAN offers ‘thoughts and prayers’ to the people of Ukraine – OPINION

Thaiger

2 hours ago, BJoe said:

Anybody with ANY common sense would have known that this would happen.  For all you European (NATO) jerks out there WHINING,   Russia had no choice.   All the western alliances had to do was acquiesce to Russia’s conditions of not allowing Ukraine into NATO, and halt further NATO expansion eastward.  But no…..they had to provoke the angry bear.   Putin was never going to allow NATO at its borders. The west has a far superior military force,,  but lack the “balls” to get into a shooting war with an ULTRA dangerous foe.     The US is the biggest wimp of all.  Dispute its’ military superiority, we blanch at the thought of losing American lives over Ukraine, a country not in NATO, and not acceptable to the EU.  Why the west’s reluctance?  Simple ……ECONOMICS  ( Russia is a significant contributor of natural gas and other fuel to Europe). and the  “BOMB” !   You may not like Vlad the Impaler ,  but you sure as heck better respect him. 

Technically you are correct - the west to some extent have bought this on themselves by potentially reneging an agreement set in 1991. Putin I believe was only trying to underline it and got a dismissive response. Having said that I hope the little runt gets his comeuppance. 

However on another technical point, given that many  countries have a weapon that will win all wars a few hours after they fire it - how do you actually get a ‘far superior military force’ ? 

11 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Technically you are correct - the west to some extent have bought this on themselves by potentially reneging an agreement set in 1991. Putin I believe was only trying to underline it and got a dismissive response. Having said that I hope the little runt gets his comeuppance. 

However on another technical point, given that many  countries have a weapon that will win all wars a few hours after they fire it - how do you actually get a ‘far superior military force’ ? 

The Americans shout 'hut, hut,hut' louder!😀

• Haha 1

Great insights and I totally agree Tim.  I think Putin will find he has awoken a sleeping giant that even his ego and power hungry cronies will never defeat.  
It must suck to have a Napoleon complex like Putin.  

Edited by KT50

16 hours ago, Vigo said:

But it is. Consider energy. China concluded a deal to purchase as much of Russia's oil and gas as Russia can supply. The EU, especially Germany is addicted to Russian energy. Russia just blew up some of Ukraine's gas pipeline. If energy shipments to  EU is curtailed, EU must seek excess from middle east. Even smug Americans and Canadians are clueless to the fact that their countries rely on  Russian energy. In 2021, Russia accounted for 21% of all U.S. gasoline imports, with Canada second at 17%

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kenroberts/2022/02/24/russia-is-united-states-top-source-of-imported-gasoline/?sh=6da3d9db1b18

The Canadians do not have much of a domestic  refinery business, let alone pipelines to develop their own oil resources, while the USA sabotaged the  proposed Canadian pipeline project. These countries will be chasing  Gulf and Middle eastern oil and gas. This will result in energy cost increases.

The loss of the Ukraine will disrupt the agricultural commodities market. Ukraine is not called  grain basket of Europe for nothing.It is the 5th largest exporter of grains and if a war destroys the    harvest and  invenotories, the cost of basic foods will soar. It is also one of the largest exporters of steel and iron. Its removal from the market will result in shortages and building costs will soar. It is also a diverse  supplier of important medications, and various types of heavy equipment.

Quite the contrary, Ukraine is an integral  part of the world economy.  

Oil prices will soar further