Jump to content

News Forum - ASEAN offers ‘thoughts and prayers’ to the people of Ukraine – OPINION


Thaiger
 Share

Recommended Posts

OPINION Issuing its first cautious statement over the invasion of Ukraine, ASEAN calls on… “all parties concerned to exercise maximum restraint, to pursue dialogue through all channels, including diplomatic means to contain the situation, to prevent it from further escalation and to see peaceful resolution in accordance with international law and the UN Charter.” No condemnation, no demands for an immediate withdrawal. They didn’t even mention the word “Russia” in their communique. (ASEAN, the Association of Southeast Asian Nations, is a political and economic union including 10 states – Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam) Individually, ASEAN states have varied from strong reaction to outright support […]

The story ASEAN offers ‘thoughts and prayers’ to the people of Ukraine – OPINION as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

Myanmar’s military Junta describing Russia’s invasion as “an appropriate measure to preserve its sovereignty”.

Of course they would say that. Pitiful

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What else would you expect from dip-sh*t tin-pot dictators masquerading as political leaders. A pox on all your houses. Only Singapore showing the brains and the spine to call it as it is, even if omitting the names of the guilty.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The ASEAN nations all have been taking payments and investments from China and now find themselves caught in the middle of the political fall out with China siding with Russia and the US being the opposition. Singapore shows their usual strength in calling as it is and don't fear any Chinese repercussions, Vietnam's reaction is better than some would expect given their closer relationship with Russia. All the others are trying to walk a thin line between not upsetting China or the United States. They don't realise that if this situation continues long term which it probably will then eventually they will have to chose a side and by stalling they just show the world how weak they are and this just puts them in a weaker and weaker position in their dealings with China. 

Or to put it bluntly by not showing a strong response in condemning Russia they are bending over for China to give them a good screwing. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

By some of them specifically not mentioning Russia they are looking spineless or non caring. In a sense they are showing the CCP what can be expected with a Taiwain war and that is seriously not good. Myanmar will not bite the Russian hand that feeds them and that was easily to be expected.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

More dick waving by those in power, while doing nothing to upset the balance of power for the 1%. Everyone is so interconnected these days no-one can do anything (Russian gas anyone?). Ukraine isn't strategic enough for the West to care, other than harsh language. 

Best ignored. Petrol will go up briefly, the sharemarket will drop briefly. The effect on anyone outside Ukraine will be effectively nothing **yawn**

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Tim_Melb said:

They don't realise that if this situation continues long term which it probably will then eventually they will have to chose a side and by stalling they just show the world how weak they are and this just puts them in a weaker and weaker position in their dealings with China. 

 

No. Most if not all of ASEAN members are also part of the Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) which is a movement that originated exactly to avoid the polarized world of the Cold War between the pro-Soviet communist countries belonging to the Warsaw Pact, and the pro-American capitalist countries belonging to NATO during the 1950s.

Edited by Noble_Design
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, DWiener said:

More dick waving by those in power, while doing nothing to upset the balance of power for the 1%. Everyone is so interconnected these days no-one can do anything (Russian gas anyone?). Ukraine isn't strategic enough for the West to care, other than harsh language. 

Best ignored. Petrol will go up briefly, the sharemarket will drop briefly. The effect on anyone outside Ukraine will be effectively nothing **yawn**

Nah this is not over with. I suspect this is the beginning of the end for Putin and his henchmen.

Putin needed a quick end to this war and its not happening. The Ukrainians are putting up a hell of a fight.

Sanctions are now imposed on the Russian elites.

People in Russia are protesting over the war.

Its all starting to backfire on him.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Nah this is not over with. I suspect this is the beginning of the end for Putin and his henchmen.

Putin needed a quick end to this war and its not happening. The Ukrainians are putting up a hell of a fight.

Sanctions are now imposed on the Russian elites.

People in Russia are protesting over the war.

Its all starting to backfire on him.

Unfortunately, he will be replaced by another criminal thug who is just as bad. 

Edited by Pinetree
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, vlad said:

The Asean Governments can help by banning all Russian flights using there airspace and not allowing flights to land on there Soil. 

It's not their fight. 

Edited by Pinetree
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

Unfortunately, he will be replaced by another criminal thug who is just as bad. 

Possibly but lets hope its one who is more intelligent and understands the limits of Russia's power and influence.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Noble_Design said:

No. Most if not all of ASEAN members are also part of the Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) which is a movement that originated exactly to avoid the polarized world of the Cold War between the pro-Soviet communist countries belonging to the Warsaw Pact, and the pro-American capitalist countries belonging to NATO during the 1950s.

Signing an agreement not to take sides in a dispute that's not in your own region is easy, but if the tension between China and the West increases to the point where one side refuses to deal with you if you continue to trade with the other side then you are forced to take a side. And when the dispute is in your region you don't have the luxury of claiming the high ground. The whole point of China's belt and road investments is to put countries that accept the money in a position where they are obligated to China in the future. Taking advantage of the Chinese money is fine if you are like Singapore who say yes we wil accept your investment but we will still do what we want and will not accept any obligation to you and have the strength to do exactly that. However the rest of ASEAN are, by not condemning Russia, letting China know that they will not oppose China's will and as such leaving themselves exposed to becoming economic outcasts in any future tensions over Taiwan which is very much part of the region. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

By some of them specifically not mentioning Russia they are looking spineless or non caring. In a sense they are showing the CCP what can be expected with a Taiwain war and that is seriously not good. Myanmar will not bite the Russian hand that feeds them and that was easily to be expected.

More of a Chinese hand that feeds them actually... 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, palooka said:

I wonder what Myanmar would say if it was China invading them to right the unjust wrongs there?

It would be welcomed by the regime, there are underwriten and supported by the CCP. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Possibly but lets hope its one who is more intelligent and understands the limits of Russia's power and influence.

You do realise that he will be a Russian political mafia operator?  They are not known for their intelligence or perception. Russia's history is all about dictatorship in one form or another, suppression of the people  and mafia like dealing among their power brokers. That will never change. 

Edited by Pinetree
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, vlad said:

No but it could help the same as the west. Who is aiding Ukraine. Without boots on the Ground.

Why should they get involved in yet one more European madness? We didn't get involved in their recent issues, i.e. Tibet,  Burma, Cambodia, Trainman Square, Hong Kong . When the US did get involved in Asian affairs a few decades ago, see how that worked out. Asia is well out of it. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

ASEAN nations did not say much either when the u.s. invaded syria, iraq, afghanistan and list goes on.  so why do we expect them to behave differently.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

You do realise that he will be a Russian political mafia operator?  They are not known for their intelligence or perception. Russia's history is all about dictatorship in one form or another, suppression of the people  and mafia like dealing among their power brokers. That will never change. 

Usually mafia figures do whats best for their business.

Illegally invading your neighbor is bad for business.

So it would probably be an improvement.  

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Usually mafia figures do whats best for their business.

Illegally invading your neighbor is bad for business.

So it would probably be an improvement.  

Well we can live in hope I guess.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


  • Join Thaiger Talk Today!

    Sign up in 30 seconds and join the discussion on everything Thailand!

  • Latest Posts

    1. 1

      News Forum - Bangkok to speed up removal of illegal canal structures

    2. 65
    3. 1

      News Forum - Bus fare collector dies in tragic motorcycle crash in Bangkok

    4. 18

      Wise demanding detailed personal and financial information

    5. 18

      Wise demanding detailed personal and financial information

  • Tell a friend

    Love Thaiger Talk? Tell a friend!
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By posting on Thaiger Talk you agree to the Terms of Use