News Forum - Russian flights keep arriving in Thailand, for now

Thaiger

20 hours ago, Poolie said:

What if these planes are full of asylum seekers?

Ukrainian asylum seekers boarding planes in Russia to fly to Thailand????

Aside from the obvious absurdity so far I haven't heard of Ukranians seeking for political asylum in Poland or Germany where many of them fled to escape the Russians invading their country. They are of course in need of humanitarian help.

The air space over Ukraine has been closed by the Russians by the way.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Lyp14 [ctxa] said:

What a great loss for Thailand, I guess the government and the rest of Thais won't sleep tonight lamenting what a great loss it is that you will find another tropical second home.

Also, I don't understand why we need to blame the average Russian tourist for what their government is doing. 

If this is about government's actions... let this sink in: 

image.thumb.png.0c72bd9f5353da6904de91d6ef77ddd0.png

Well, this is how it typically goes: the citizen are held responsible for what their government does.

Did the USA get away way too good in the past for all their interventions in the past? For sure. Double standards? Sadly, yes. But that doesn't mean the world should a blind eye on Russia's unwarranted aggression in Ukraine.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Fundok said:

Ukrainian asylum seekers boarding planes in Russia to fly to Thailand????

Aside from the obvious absurdity so far I haven't heard of Ukranians seeking for political asylum in Poland or Germany where many of them fled to escape the Russians invading their country. They are of course in need of humanitarian help.

The air space over Ukraine has been closed by the Russians by the way.

You said that, not me. Please dont put words in my mouth.

Good day.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, King Cotton said:

Attributable = 'likely that it was caused by*' . . . you surprise me, there, @Fundok

(* Collins English Dictionary)

Sorry if I expressed myself unclearly. In no uncertain terms I wanted to say that whatever a government does is seen as action of the country and its citizen. With other words: you cannot detach the things a government does from the people it stands for.

I trust this clarifies my point of view.

8 minutes ago, Poolie said:

You said that, not me. Please dont put words in my mouth.

Good day.

I thought you were the one questioning about planes full of asylum seekers coming from Russia. Not your words?

Even if you meant Russians seekeing political asylum from being harrassed in Russia this is unrealistic, especially since until now no Russian has used the "golden opportunity" to seek political asylum in Thailand.

I don't really understand what you wanted to point out with your post but whatever way to look at it I didn't make any sense to me. Hence my words.

1 minute ago, Fundok said:

I thought you were the one questioning about planes full of asylum seekers coming from Russia. Not your words?

Even if you meant Russians seekeing political asylum from being harrassed in Russia this is unrealistic, especially since until now no Russian has used the "golden opportunity" to seek political asylum in Thailand.

I don't really understand what you wanted to point out with your post but whatever way to look at it I didn't make any sense to me. Hence my words.

I have no intention of getting into a discussion with someone who 'doesn't understand.' 

Question:

I know it’s not the Russian tourists who actually invaded Ukraine!

But I think it’s a disgrace to come on a holiday while your leader murders innocent people!

And Thailand and the world should make a stand and stop flights coming!

But alas it’s all about the money!!!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Poolie said:

What if these planes are full of asylum seekers?

Well then the Thai authorities definitely wouldn’t let them in. Thailand is not a signatory of the UN Refugee Convention and would block such flights. Tourists bringing money in would be welcomed. But any humanitarian flights would be turned away. Land of Smiles you see …

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Insurgent said:

Let’s be clear it’s not the Russian people who want or started this war with Ukraine it is their psychopath leader Putin who started this and is spreading false information to the Russian people. 

Yes!

But if you don’t make a stand!

And act as if nothing happened then you are not supporting the people of Ukraine?

when Russian tourists are not welcomed by other countries, they will turn on their President

4 hours ago, ibgort said:

It's money coming into the country as opposed as money leaving.  So let them come and leave their money behind.  The economics in Russia will soon prevent tourist from coming so take the money now.

You are very shallow!

If your country was invaded you would want other countries to make a stand!

Not good response in my opinion!

Selfish ?

43 minutes ago, Transam said:

Folk usually book and pay for their holidays well in advance of their actual departure, so be a bit off to target individuals at this early stage..

I am sure many Russians don't want anything to do with Putin's mess, same as many UK folk wanted nothing to do with Blair's Iraq mess..

What is it with these selfish responses !

They are at war as a country and we all need to make a stand that war and takeovers have consequences for your own people!

Let them lose their money !

They will make a stand with their leader!

Doing nothing is weak as *Removed*

Stand with Ukraine and let’s all show what happens to your innocent people as well as Ukraine’s innocent people!!

Do something that effects Russian’s

Make his own people see what a shot fight he has caused

Edited by Faraday
Bad language removed by moderator
  • Like 1

As regular visitor I believe Thailand would be well advised not to ignore the outrage and sanctions of the free world against Russia‘s brutal and unprovoked attack of Ukraine. Otherwise there might be a backlash by tourists around the globe avoiding Thailand. This in addition to the fact that the already introduced severe sanctions against Russia will not only reduce the tourist flow from that country, but unfortunately impacting the world economy, and therefore the international tourism in general for quite a while.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Transam said:

Folk usually book and pay for their holidays well in advance of their actual departure, so be a bit off to target individuals at this early stage..

I am sure many Russians don't want anything to do with Putin's mess, same as many UK folk wanted nothing to do with Blair's Iraq mess..

Flights, hotels and some meals are booked (except for “all in”). Extra’s loerestaurants, drinks, taxi’s, shopping have to be paid cash or credit card. If the credit card is refused, then they should have enough dollars or Euro. They won’t get far with rubels

3 hours ago, Grant said:

Question:

I know it’s not the Russian tourists who actually invaded Ukraine!

But I think it’s a disgrace to come on a holiday while your leader murders innocent people!

And Thailand and the world should make a stand and stop flights coming!

But alas it’s all about the money!!!

Thailand is a laundromat for Russian cash. Russian is a kleptocracy where money is pulled out and put overseas, UK, Europe and here. About 10 years ago Phuket was run by the Russian mafia.

So you're right, it's all about the money. But, at scale.

Personally, I think Russians should be cancelled and not be welcome anywhere. 

On 2/26/2022 at 11:36 AM, Noble_Design said:

While other countries are considering restricting flights from Russia, it will be wise for Thailand to take advantage of this and welcome in as much Russian tourists as possible. Those roubles will be handy when trading for Russian oil and gas.  

*Post in French language removed*

Edited by Faraday
French language
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, KomanderChicknNugget said:

The device you are typing on and the network you are communicating into  - where do you think the technology was invented?

ENTIRE content of modern world originally invented & built by UK- USA- GER- FRA- IT- NETH.Handful of Enlightened Free Peoples. 

Everywhere Else dominated by Savage Barbarism,Dictators, Ignorance, Terror & Stolen Western Creations. Wondrous Ancient World in some of those places like Egypt, India, “ Iraq”, China, Mexico, simply collapsed, disappeared and never returned. Only Ancient Rome/ Greece  “ returned” and advanced to fantastic heights later in Western Europe. WEST already Declining towards inevitable Collapse this century.Entire World in effect evolving backwards.

600 Glorious West Years Only. Ancient Egypt had 2500 years of Peak High Civilization.What great Shame & Waste our stupid “tolerance” has resulted in. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Artemis080 said:

Thailand is a laundromat for Russian cash. Russian is a kleptocracy where money is pulled out and put overseas, UK, Europe and here. About 10 years ago Phuket was run by the Russian mafia.

So you're right, it's all about the money. But, at scale.

Personally, I think Russians should be cancelled and not be welcome anywhere. 

Certain many backward peoples are universally detested in civilized countries and “welcomed” there only for their money. Probably 85% worlds population in fact. Thailand like Dubai a criminal money laundering center for many years.

2 hours ago, Expat said:

As regular visitor I believe Thailand would be well advised not to ignore the outrage and sanctions of the free world against Russia‘s brutal and unprovoked attack of Ukraine. Otherwise there might be a backlash by tourists around the globe avoiding Thailand. This in addition to the fact that the already introduced severe sanctions against Russia will not only reduce the tourist flow from that country, but unfortunately impacting the world economy, and therefore the international tourism in general for quite a while.

Thailand an entirely irrelevant non- entity on the world stage.
Nobody notices or cares what Thailand does or doesn’t ignore internationally.

5 hours ago, Fundok said:

Well, this is how it typically goes: the citizen are held responsible for what their government does.

Did the USA get away way too good in the past for all their interventions in the past? For sure. Double standards? Sadly, yes. But that doesn't mean the world should a blind eye on Russia's unwarranted aggression in Ukraine.

Yes to your 1st para. “ People Always Get the Government They Deserve”.
No Exceptions.The “world” ( UN etc) is irrelevant to Ukraine. Only Russia / NATO / EU / Ukraine actions matter.

On 2/26/2022 at 10:05 AM, Poolie said:

Where has it got you?

Why has Thailand not banned Russians like the rest of the World has? Too interested in their dirty money I suppose?

9 hours ago, oldschooler said:

Certain many backward peoples are universally detested in civilized countries and “welcomed” there only for their money. Probably 85% worlds population in fact. Thailand like Dubai a criminal money laundering center for many years.

<deleted content> Backward is a perceived notion. The Chinese considered the English backwards because they needed to use two hands to eat. Russians, because of their way of farming and the military, were always seen as backwards although the upper classes spoke many Western European languages absolutely fluently (read Tolstoy). Germany's army glory came from Prussia. But they were actually slavic people (Polish). 

Basically, wherever you go you are a foreigner. Go to Algeria where they frown upon the backward Chinese, go to Iraq where Westerners are considered culturally inadequate. Try Nigeria, where you will be considered a white boy and be laughed at for doing anything different from locals. But try to learn the local culture and the image of the backward foreigner quickly vanishes.

Edited by BigHewer
Provocative comment removed

3 minutes ago, OOber said:

Your statement reeks of ignorance. Backward is a perceived notion. The Chinese considered the English backwards because they needed to use two hands to eat. Russians, because of their way of farming and the military, were always seen as backwards although the upper classes spoke many Western European languages absolutely fluently (read Tolstoy). Germany's army glory came from Prussia. But they were actually slavic people (Polish). 

Basically, wherever you go you are a foreigner. Go to Algeria where they frown upon the backward Chinese, go to Iraq where Westerners are considered culturally inadequate. Try Nigeria, where you will be considered a white boy and be laughed at for doing anything different from locals. But try to learn the local culture and the image of the backward foreigner quickly vanishes.

Unconcerned what backward people think about advanced people.

8 hours ago, oldschooler said:

Unconcerned what backward people think about advanced people.

Thank you for proving my point. 

My question is, why should we forward thinking people be concerned with <deleted content>?

Edited by BigHewer
Inflammatory comment removed