Recommendations for interesting areas in Phuket/Krabi please.

mlondon

I’ve spent most of my island life in southern Thailand on Ko Phangan and Ko Samui. Haven’t been to Phuket or Krabi for a few decades. Looking for suggestions on interesting areas to stay in Phuket. Ideally would like to find somewhere that has less of a resort/commercial vibe, but with plenty of natural beauty, interesting cafes and restaurants, good range of accommodation (ideally with smaller, well designed accomodation), and a good mix of international and local community. (Ie: perhaps a bit less of mega-resort mass-tourism -  and a bit more of longer term residents, interesting mix of Thai and travelers, so-called “digital nomads” (not a fan of that term.), artists, etc)

Perhaps a tall order, but open to suggestions.

Also same for Krabi area.

Thank you….

• 3 weeks later...

From what you describe I would think Krabi rather than Phuket might be the place to aim for. Visually more scenic and to my mind more Thai. I would avoid Ao Nang, all the disadvantages of Phuket without the advantages. There are some great low key beaches tucked away, somewhere like Pan beach for instance is great and you can almost have it to yourself.

There are some great local restaurants and cafes tucked away as well as some international establishments. A bit cheaper than Phuket as well.

On 2/24/2022 at 8:51 PM, mlondon said:

I’ve spent most of my island life in southern Thailand on Ko Phangan and Ko Samui. Haven’t been to Phuket or Krabi for a few decades. Looking for suggestions on interesting areas to stay in Phuket. Ideally would like to find somewhere that has less of a resort/commercial vibe, but with plenty of natural beauty, interesting cafes and restaurants, good range of accommodation (ideally with smaller, well designed accomodation), and a good mix of international and local community. (Ie: perhaps a bit less of mega-resort mass-tourism -  and a bit more of longer term residents, interesting mix of Thai and travelers, so-called “digital nomads” (not a fan of that term.), artists, etc)

Perhaps a tall order, but open to suggestions.

Also same for Krabi area.

Thank you….

Kamala in Phud might fit you

To me, it is one of the only actual villages in the beach areas where you can walk around

It also has a somewhat active beach life with restaurant and bars right on the beach

Someone that I feel is completely lacking in Thailand

It also has a pretty good expat community with some busy bars to meet people