News Forum - Thailand Test & Go update: No more Day 5 pre-paid hotel or PCR test

Thaiger

So this takes us back to how things were in November I believe. So Omicron is either on the decline? Or they have decided it’s not a serious risk? Maybe they have conceded the risk from inbound people is small? Whatever it is, at least it’s a backward step in the right direction 😉

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

From the start of March, the requirement for the 2nd pre-paid PCR test on Day 5 after your arrival in Thailand will be dropped. But it will instead be replaced with a rapid antigen test you can take yourself. In addition, the required insurance will be reduced from $50,000 to $20,000. Hotel reservations will be required for the 1st day only in order to wait for the results of you PCR test. Travellers won’t need to book for a second hotel night on the 5th day after their arrival. So, it’s back to the same requirements when Test & Go was […]

The story Thailand Test & Go update: No more Day 5 pre-paid hotel or PCR test as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I have already pre-booked my entry for the 3rd march does this apply to me or do i need to still do the day 5 as it is attached to my thaipass requirement approval..?

• Thanks 1

Hi all, I have just recd my Thailand Pass for 8th Apr.  Now day 5 has been scrapped am I OK to cancel my day 5 Hotel, or will this void my Thai Pass.

Thanks 

Ian

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sprez33 said:

I suspect it's a face-saving intermediate step to dropping the day 5 test completely.

I agree. It sounds like a political compromise to me 

While this is a positive step in the right direction, this is not the end of the journey. Until all on-arrival PCR testing is eliminated there will always be risk any planned trip will be unexpectedly and horribly derailed on arrival. And that will hold back tourism. Preflight PCR testing only should be the next step, and then eventually dropping insurance for all those with a current vaccine status. In my ideal "new normal" dropping vaccine and/or insurance requirements altogether, leaving only preflight PCR testing would be a dream (but may never happen).

• Like 4

1 hour ago, francoa said:

Absolutely not enough to revive tourism to any meaningful state.

Even the first hotel and pcr is big annoyance and on top of that, 11pm over for bars and still no regular nightlife.

When people in the west have now after 2 yrs no masks, no curfew, no lockdowns, no limits on events, nightlife opened as pre covid, walking freely, enjoying….it is hard to imagine, that they will travel to a country where you have to walk in 36 degrees in a mask, nightlife closed, bars closing at 11 and have to do 2 pcr tests in 3 days and forcefully stay in a hotel and risking thay if you sneeze, your vacation will be limited on the hotel if lucky. On top of that, filling that pile of paperwork. 

I am sorry, I just dont see this working at all. Maybe it worked in November, when west was still also kinda closed, but now when even asian countries are opening fully, Thailand is lacking behind a lot. 

Just be patient 😁. I remember waiting to get back into UK for a visit last year. Frustrating AF because Thailand was on UK red list but patience paid off and I was able to get back for Xmas😁

It’s not clear whether it’s arrivals after the 1st or TP issued after 1st. Highly interested as I’m coming back on the 27th as of now.  
Also it doesn’t become effective until they actually publish it which has typically been the day before the change even though the decision was made before 

Edited by JJJ
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, JJJ said:

It’s not clear whether it’s arrivals after the 1st or TP issued after 1st. Highly interested as I’m coming back on the 27th as of now.  
Also it doesn’t become effective until they actually publish it which has typically been the day before the change even though the decision was made before 

According to Richard Burrow’s feed, it’s for registration after the 1st. 

I arrive on 26/02. Does this mean I still have to quarantine and PCR test on day 5 (as booked) or does this only apply to arrivals after 01/03? It’s ambiguous as expressed.

• Like 1

Good Morning,

I booked at the end of January 2022 the 1st-day arrival hotel, a PCR test and transport from Suvernabhumi Airport to IBIS Hotel in Pattaya as well as the 5th day night and a PCR Test.

Today is Wednesday, 23 of February 2022, and the requirements of the 5th day hotel night and 2nd PCR Test have been removed by the Thailand Government.

I believe the hotel will reimburse me the charges they have taken for the 5th day.

Please clarify.

Many thanks in advance while anticipating a reply at your earliest convenience.

Best regards.

• Like 1

You are still testing therefore you are still at risk of spending your vacation in quarantine. Easier to just go somewhere else without the additional risk. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, EdwardV said:

You are still testing therefore you are still at risk of spending your vacation in quarantine. Easier to just go somewhere else without the additional risk. 

Oh c'mon. It's not like we are only just starting our Omicron wave and predict 100k cases a day to smash us shortly or anything...right..? 🤣

The odds of covid positive russian roulette just got worse. 

• Haha 1

Quick question; I already paid for my SHA + hotel for 5 days and 2nd pcr test. I don’t see anything about a refund. Maybe this just another “This is Thailand” moment and I should just carry on and forget about it. 

Edited by Barshrink
Mispell
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Barshrink said:

Quick question; I already paid for my SHA + hotel for 5 days and 2nd pcr test. I don’t see anything about a refund. Maybe this just another “This is Thailand” moment and I should just carry on and forget about it. 

I'm in the same boat. However, I've not yet booked a pre-flight PCR test for my return to Europe so I'm hoping that when I arrive, the hotel will be able to just shift the Day 5 test to the day 48 hours before I fly home. Plus some extra for pre-flight test certificate.

The relief comes a week too late.
We spent four weeks in Thailand over Christmas and New Year, the entry procedure was OK, although cumbersome.

The Test & Go is much too complicated and time consuming for just a two week holiday with PCR test on day 1 and day 5.

We skipt Thailand and now are going to South Africa next week for for a 2 week holiday. Also a beautiful country with uncomplicated entry. I also feel very welcome there.

We might come back to Thailand end of the year if there is a reasonable entry procedere.

The change comes too late for us.

We spent 3 weeks in phuket over the past christmas. The entry procedure was ok.

We actually wanted to come back to phuket at the beginning of March for a 2 week holiday. The Test&Go is with two PCR Tests and two quarantine days much too time consuming and too complicated.

We are now going to South Africa next week for two weeks. Also a beautiful country without complicated and timeconsuming / overwelming  bureaucracy.

We feel very welcome there.

We might go to Thailand at the end of the year if the entry procedere is reasonable. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DoUKnowWhoIAm said:

But it won't make much difference for the tourism. Thailand Pass application+ pre PCR testing+ insurance+ hotel and pcr after arrival...no, it's to much hussle for most (sane) people.

Let's hope not.

5 hours ago, francoa said:

Absolutely not enough to revive tourism to any meaningful state.

Even the first hotel and pcr is big annoyance and on top of that, 11pm over for bars and still no regular nightlife.

When people in the west have now after 2 yrs no masks, no curfew, no lockdowns, no limits on events, nightlife opened as pre covid, walking freely, enjoying….it is hard to imagine, that they will travel to a country where you have to walk in 36 degrees in a mask, nightlife closed, bars closing at 11 and have to do 2 pcr tests in 3 days and forcefully stay in a hotel and risking thay if you sneeze, your vacation will be limited on the hotel if lucky. On top of that, filling that pile of paperwork. 

I am sorry, I just dont see this working at all. Maybe it worked in November, when west was still also kinda closed, but now when even asian countries are opening fully, Thailand is lacking behind a lot. 

Let's hope you're right 😇.

• Like 1

So Anutin said the following in relation to the day 5 self ATK:

“The mandatory 5th day test can be conducted using ATK because results were very accurate and widely accepted”

Well if that’s the case, why not use them for the day 1 test also. Cheaper, quicker and no need to book a hotel. 

Think I’ve answered my own question with the word “Cheaper”. What a total con based on nothing more than pure greed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1