News Forum - Provincial governors ordered to ramp up disease controls as Covid cases surge

Thaiger

5 hours ago, Stonker said:

No, you're giving a highly edited version of "what happened to them" since you're not saying WHY they were not permitted to home isolate (and it has absolutely NOTHING to do with their visa) and concluding that's what happens to everyone.

You're just making a causation which has no basis in reality - how do you know it was because he/she was a foreigner, and not because he/she was ineligible by age, for example, or because he/she had worse symptoms, or was pregnant, which would have applied to anyone, Thai or foreign?

Maybe it was because he was left-handed - that would be just as rational a conclusion.

Sorry, but your blanket, broad brush claim that ""if you test positive at a hospital or another official source you will not be permitted home isolation" is simply untrue - it CAN happen, regardless of whether you're a Thai or foreigner depending on the circumstances, but it seldom does as the numbers tested and subsequently hospitalised very clearly show beyond any possible doubt.

https://reliefweb.int/sites/reliefweb.int/files/resources/2022_02_15_tha-sitrep-223-covid-19_eng.pdf

edit: I'd also be interested to know how you managed to have a PCR test "at home", not "at a hospital or another official source".

Just to be clear to anyone following, my original post suggested that Thailand over-hospitalizes positive tests and said that in my observation foreigners haven’t been permitted home isolation. Stonker just proves the point. 

As others have noted, Stonker seemingly intentionally misstates previous points made by those disagreed with - here stating that I tested PCR positive at home. I never stated I took an at home pcr test. Of course it was an at home antigen test.  

The government itself reports tens of thousands of unofficial ATK tests that are unofficial that no where near match with the hospitalization figures. 

Stonker has a habit of doing things like this in his replies and has an unserious approach to debate.  I am fine debating to understand others perspectives. But I’m done with Stonker’s replies here and hopefully in the future. I’m not the first person who has attempted to make reasoned and rational responses to note this about Stonker’s replies  

And the request is out there—does anyone other than Stonker (which by the way he never identified) know a foreigner who has been permitted home isolation with a hospital positive test? I am curious to know and under what circumstances.  

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, JJJ said:

Just to be clear to anyone following, my original post suggested that Thailand over-hospitalizes positive tests and said that in my observation foreigners haven’t been permitted home isolation.

Just to be clear, I've mis-stated nothing.

What you said in your original post, unedited, which I quoted as did @Faz and @oldschoolerin our replies, was

On 2/21/2022 at 1:15 PM, JJJ said:

Foreigners living in Thailand aren’t allowed to home isolate either.

That's EXACTLY what I've said you said, which I've repeatedly said is completely untrue, just as @oldschooler did first ("No. Home isolation is Govt hospital policy for all in Thailand for non- serious cases. reconfirmed that personally & directly last week at top provincial hospital….."), followed by @Faz  ("That simply isn't true. Foreigners as well as Thais are told to isolate at home if testing positive and asymptomatic."), followed by me.

If you want to change that and qualify what you said now as being only 'in your observation' I have no problem with that, but please don't mis-represent it and then suggest that I'm 'intentionally mis-stating' you when the only one mis-stating things here is you.

35 minutes ago, JJJ said:

... here stating that I tested PCR positive at home. I never stated I took an at home pcr test. Of course it was an at home antigen test.

I didn't "mis-state" it, I simply wondered if that was the case since you can ONLY be hospitalised here for Covid after a PCR test, NOT after a "home antigen test", so when you claimed that you "tested positive at home reported it and told no need to test again just isolate at home" rather than "test positive at a hospital or another official source" which you'd claimed would get you hospitalised, I made the mistake of believing you may have been accurate and correct in what you were saying (although I still had some rather obvious doubts, hence my edit).

You weren't, as you were neither accurate or correct - you were simply mis-reporting what had happened.

You CANNOT be hospitalised here on the basis of an ATK test alone, ONLY after a confirmatory PCR test, so as far as being "permitted home isolation" or not after a test goes, you were never "tested positive at home" as you claimed.

Whether you knew that and you were "intentionally misstating" it, as you like to put it, or whether you genuinely didn't know that you can't be hospitalised after an ATK test I don't know, but any "misstating", deliberately or through ignorance, is entirely on your part not mine.

1 hour ago, JJJ said:

The government itself reports tens of thousands of unofficial ATK tests that are unofficial that no where near match with the hospitalization figures. 

Of course they do - because they're "unofficial", like the test you took at home which was why it doesn't count as a test for hospitalization or quarantine despite you claiming that you "tested positive at home".

1 hour ago, JJJ said:

Stonker has a habit of doing things like this in his replies and has an unserious approach to debate.

I'm being absolutely serious - you're simply saying something that's totally untrue, and supporting it with personal experience that's misleading in the way you give it, either deliberately or through ignorance - and I'm doing my very best to be tactful here as at best you've been economical with the truth throughout.

I did you the courtesy of explaining what the reasons could have been for your friends being hospitalised, such as age, pregnancy or health, which apply to foreigners or Thais alike, and you simply ignored that - again, whether that's through ignorance or deliberately I don't know.

1 hour ago, JJJ said:

I’m not the first person who has attempted to make reasoned and rational responses to note this about Stonker’s replies

There's nothing "reasoned and rational" about your response whatsoever - I was the third person to tell you that you were wrong, but my mistake was to do you the courtesy of trying to show you why you were wrong while @oldschooler and  @Faz had more sense and just couldn't be bothered.

2 hours ago, JJJ said:

Stonker has a habit of doing things like this in his replies and has an unserious approach to debate.  I am fine debating to understand others perspectives. But I’m done with Stonker’s replies here and hopefully in the future. I’m not the first person who has attempted to make reasoned and rational responses to note this about Stonker’s replies  

You are not alone by any means @JJJ  people are getting literally sick of this nonsense from him. It is ruining an otherwise good forum. He posts none of his original thoughts , save for a few safe short comments. Instead he chooses to wait for those that do contribute and then analyse, dissect, rebuke, belittle, harass and spin the debate to whatever he’s comfortable with. A true professional troll if ever there was one. Why he’s still allowed to poison this excellent forum is beyond me. More people  need to call out this troll. I’m totally sick of it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JJJ said:

And the request is out there—does anyone other than Stonker (which by the way he never identified) know a foreigner who has been permitted home isolation with a hospital positive test? I am curious to know and under what circumstances.  

I can't speak for what may happen in your Province, but in mine they have test centres and field centres where those with symptoms receive treatment. The hospital labs may run the actual PCR testing, but otherwise it's business almost as usual in all other departments.

A few weeks ago  a foreigner had a house warming party (to which I was invited, but declined) in which some of his wife's relatives from other Provinces attended. The day after returning home, one of his wife's relatives fell ill and was diagnosed positive with Covid. All the party participants were contacted and told to immediately go to a test centre. They were then all instructed to remain at home and await the results.
From a group of 20+, 4 foreigners and 2 Thai wives tested positive, but non were suffering any symptoms.
They were instructed to remain in isolation at home for 10 days and report any change in their condition.

Only those requiring treatment are admitted into the field centres, whilst those who may test positive but have no symptoms are instructed to isolate at home, Thais and foreigners alike. This has been the procedure locally for months.

Last week I suffered from a dry throat and cough. The wife consulted the pharmacist at the hospital who supplied her with an antigen test kit, with the advice if the test was positive I should remain at home for 10 days, but contact the hospital if the symptoms got worse. As it was, the test was negative and the dry throat and cough cleared up after 3/4 days.

21 hours ago, Faz said:

I can't speak for what may happen in your Province, but in mine they have test centres and field centres where those with symptoms receive treatment. The hospital labs may run the actual PCR testing, but otherwise it's business almost as usual in all other departments.

A few weeks ago  a foreigner had a house warming party (to which I was invited, but declined) in which some of his wife's relatives from other Provinces attended. The day after returning home, one of his wife's relatives fell ill and was diagnosed positive with Covid. All the party participants were contacted and told to immediately go to a test centre. They were then all instructed to remain at home and await the results.
From a group of 20+, 4 foreigners and 2 Thai wives tested positive, but non were suffering any symptoms.
They were instructed to remain in isolation at home for 10 days and report any change in their condition.

Only those requiring treatment are admitted into the field centres, whilst those who may test positive but have no symptoms are instructed to isolate at home, Thais and foreigners alike. This has been the procedure locally for months.

Last week I suffered from a dry throat and cough. The wife consulted the pharmacist at the hospital who supplied her with an antigen test kit, with the advice if the test was positive I should remain at home for 10 days, but contact the hospital if the symptoms got worse. As it was, the test was negative and the dry throat and cough cleared up after 3/4 days.

Interesting to hear. It’s hard to know whether the field centers are taking pcr tests or official antigen tests. 

I do agree that everyone including foreigners are encouraged to isolate and not seek further testing with positive antigen tests. To me this is not the equivalent as being placed in home isolation. If others disagree on that definition that’s fair enough.