News Forum - Despite rising Omicron infections, Thailand is forced to reconsider current restrictions

Thaiger

20 hours ago, Soidog said:

Interesting what you say. I never said Covid was just another flu. Far from it in fact. The effects of long Covid and many other longer lasting issues makes it a far more serious virus. My point however is that we have basically two choice:

1) Accept we have the best vaccines available at this point in time and try to restore normality to society while accepting the dreadful facts you highlight. 
2). Continue to restrict and control how people love for an indeterminate amount of time in the hope of better vaccines, cures or treatments. 

I personally think the world can’t wait much longer to accept we have this dreadful virus and learn to live with and accept it. 

Completely agree

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Mazz11 said:

I wonder when or if the statistics will differentiate how many people die from Covid-19 and how many people die with Covid-19.

There is a big difference between someone dying from heart failure due to heart disease but also having covid and someone dying from heart failure due to their system shutting down because they have covid.

They already do differentiate.

All those listed as 'Covid deaths' by the UKHSA and ONS have Covid as a cause of death on the death certificate.

This has been explained countless times.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/deaths

22 hours ago, Soidog said:

We have vaccinated all those who want to be vaccinated and I’m afraid that’s all science is offering right now.

If you're talking about Thailand, no "we" haven't and that's not true.

Booster doses have only been given to less than a third of the population, most of whom were given Sinovac or Sinopharm initially, and anyone who wants a booster has to wait until the vaccines are available and there's a sufficient gap between their first pair and the booster - for those who had two mRNA jabs that's 6 months, so for many that's a four or five months wait, and for others it's 3 months so for many a 2 month wait.

If you're talking about other countries, you're replying to the wrong article / in the wrong forum.

Interesting Article: 

https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1558161/doh-only-12-to-15-of-covid-19-patients-in-hospitals-are-severe-critical

MANILA, Philippines — Only 12 to 15 percent of COVID-19 patients admitted in hospitals have severe and critical cases of coronavirus infection, the Department of Health (DOH) said Tuesday.

DOH data as of February 20 showed that of the 10,459 patients in hospitals, 1,151 or 11.35 percent are tagged as severe, while 450 or 4.84 percent are critical cases.

“Kasabay ng patuloy na pagbaba ng mga kaso ng COVID-19 ang pagbaba ng bilang ng severe and critical cases na na-o-ospital… Batay sa aming latest data, labing-dalawa hanggang labing-limang porsyento na lamang ng national hospital admissions ang malubha at kritikal,” Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire said in a Palace press briefing.

(Along with the continued decrease of COVID-19 cases in the country is the decrease in the number of severe and critical cases being hospitalized… Based on our latest data, only 12 to 15 percent of our national hospital admissions are severe and critical cases.)

Meanwhile, 1,724 or 16.24 percent of hospitalized patients are asymptomatic, 3,253 or 31.28 percent are mild, and 3,881 or 36.29 percent are moderate cases, the DOH data showed.

Vergeire said the decrease in the number of severe and critical cases is proof that COVID-19 vaccines are effective in preventing the progression of the disease.

She also said that among the SARS-CoV-2 variants of concerns, the Omicron variant registered the highest number of single-day increases in new cases but also the lowest proportion of severe and critical cases.

Based on DOH data, only 65 or 1.57 percent out of 4,149 sequenced Omicron cases during the surge from December 30, 2021, to February 9, 2022, are severe and critical. Meanwhile, Delta recorded the highest proportion of severe and critical cases at 671 or 8.76 percent out of 7,656 sequenced cases from July 27 to December 29, 2021.

The Philippines currently has 58,657 active cases of COVID-19, including 1,427 new cases on Monday.

Edited by fpschubert

21 hours ago, Soidog said:

Interesting what you say. I never said Covid was just another flu. Far from it in fact. The effects of long Covid and many other longer lasting issues makes it a far more serious virus. My point however is that we have basically two choice:

1) Accept we have the best vaccines available at this point in time and try to restore normality to society while accepting the dreadful facts you highlight. 
2). Continue to restrict and control how people love for an indeterminate amount of time in the hope of better vaccines, cures or treatments. 

I personally think the world can’t wait much longer to accept we have this dreadful virus and learn to live with and accept it. 

Covid cases in Thailand are spiking and you want to return things to normal so you can go out and have a good time. Makes zero sense to me. We're now at a stage 4 alert!

On 2/20/2022 at 11:10 PM, Lyp14 [ctxa] said:

Not about the unvaccinated! But you can't be serious in comparing deaths from cancer, strokes, heart attacks, even car accidents with deaths from an infectious disease like COVID! It hasn't finished

Dead is dead, and everyone dies. A fact of life that billions born before 1990 or thereabouts understood, and simply got on with without mock-existential dramas.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stonker said:

They already do differentiate.

All those listed as 'Covid deaths' by the UKHSA and ONS have Covid as a cause of death on the death certificate.

This has been explained countless times.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/deaths

I have friends who work in UK care homes for the elderly and when the old people die , its just written of as a Covid death , easier for everyone . 

No autopsy or investigation . If they have Covid  , then its just registered as a Covid death 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob2010 said:

Dead is dead, and everyone dies. A fact of life that billions born before 1990 or thereabouts understood, and simply got on with without mock-existential dramas.

Following your logic, I don't know what we have hospitals for.... Better close them down, PMSL 

Cancer, strokes, trauma won’t spread to others. The one who dies from COVID will spread it until eventually he takes others with him. It’s not rocket science. 

Edited by Lyp14 [ctxa]
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, LoongFred said:

Covid cases in Thailand are spiking and you want to return things to normal so you can go out and have a good time. Makes zero sense to me. We're now at a stage 4 alert!

Where did I say I wanted to go out and have a good time? Can you show me please?  If you can’t show me then can you please stop posting comments trying to put words in my mouth. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LoongFred said:

You will have to get back to normal sometime , Thailand will have to "go through it" and get back to normal . 

Its been two years now , what is Thailand's plan ?

Endless restrictions and trying to avoid it ?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Fluke said:

I have friends who work in UK care homes for the elderly and when the old people die , its just written of as a Covid death , easier for everyone . 

No autopsy or investigation . If they have Covid  , then its just registered as a Covid death 

Of course it is ... these doctors in UK couldn't care less about what they sign ... 😂

6 minutes ago, Fluke said:

Its been two years now , what is Thailand's plan

Hopefully to save as many lives as they have done over the past couple of years ... sorry if that doesn't suit you and you want the bars open instead ...

8 minutes ago, Fluke said:

And what is wrong with that? What are the chances that an elderly person who died while infected didn’t die as a result of COVID? Even if the real reason was let’s say cardiac arrest, who can prove that this cardiac arrest wasn’t caused directly or indirectly by COVID? 

Another thing is if you have COVID and someone shoots you ten times in the head, or you have COVID and you are in a car accident and your head flies off… In those cases, common sense tells you COVID is not the cause of death.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Hopefully to save as many lives as they have done over the past couple of years ... sorry if that doesn't suit you and you want the bars open instead ...

What makes you think that I want bars open ?

The UK is now back to normal , when will Thailand be getting back to normal ?

I think that some people living in Issan villages and living quiet lives are quite happy that everyone else is also living the same kind of life they do . 

They spend all day not doing much and they are pleased that everyone else is now doing the same as them 

11 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Where did I say I wanted to go out and have a good time? Can you show me please?  If you can’t show me then can you please stop posting comments trying to put words in my mouth. 

Well, what other "restrictions" are you complaining about?

Maybe you haven't noticed, but apart from mask wearing and occasional testing, which Thais are quite happy with, Thailand doesn't have any other restrictions!!!

4 minutes ago, Lyp14 [ctxa] said:

And what is wrong with that? What are the chances that an elderly person who died while infected didn’t die as a result of COVID? Even if the real reason was let’s say cardiac arrest, who can prove that this cardiac arrest wasn’t caused directly or indirectly by COVID? 

Another thing is if you have COVID and someone shoots you ten times in the head, or you have COVID and you are in a car accident and your head flies off… In those cases, common sense tells you COVID is not the cause of death.

Yes, shock horror, “very old person dies”. Autopsies for suspicious deaths . Otherwise Doctor certifies death from cursory exam so heart brain lung age.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fluke said:

What makes you think that I want bars open ?

The UK is now back to normal , when will Thailand be getting back to normal ?

I think that some people living in Issan villages and living quiet lives are quite happy that everyone else is also living the same kind of life they do . 

They spend all day not doing much and they are pleased that everyone else is now doing the same as them 

Well, what else are you constantly complaining about?

What else do you want to do that's "normal" that government restrictions are stopping you from doing?

5 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Well, what other "restrictions" are you complaining about?

Maybe you haven't noticed, but apart from mask wearing and occasional testing, which Thais are quite happy with, Thailand doesn't have any other restrictions!!!

Have you read the O.P in this thread ?

This thread is about Thailand considering changing all the current restrictions .

13 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Of course it is ... these doctors in UK couldn't care less about what they sign ... 😂

sarcasm certainly one of your strengths Stonker 😌keep up the good work 😋

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Stonker said:

Well, what else are you constantly complaining about?

What else do you want to do that's "normal" that government restrictions are stopping you from doing?

I am in the UK now and going about a normal life , Covid is just a distant memory and everything's back to normal 

4 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

Yes, shock horror, “very old person dies”. Autopsies for suspicious deaths . Otherwise Doctor certifies death from cursory exam so heart brain lung age.

... exactly - and if they didn't have Covid it won't / can't be on the death certificate ...

... but let's not stop 'my friend says' when the outrage bus is picking up steam 😂.

2 minutes ago, Fluke said:

Have you read the O.P in this thread ?

This thread is about Thailand considering changing all the current restrictions .

Yes, actually I have - I'm simply asking you what the restrictions are that you're complaining about.

If you can't think of any, well ... 😂

13 minutes ago, Lyp14 [ctxa] said:

Yes, but they are tested in hospital and if by coincidence they had Covid , the death is registered as having died with Covid and that bumps the statistic up 

3 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Yes, actually I have - I'm simply asking you what the restrictions are that you're complaining about.

If you can't think of any, well ... 😂

Having to wear a mask when in shopping centers .

Constant pointless heat tests 

Bars and restaurants having restricted opening times .

Schools closing down sporadically .

Entry restrictions into the Country .

People who test positive needing to quarantine 

30 minutes ago, Fluke said:

Having to wear a mask when in shopping centers .

Constant pointless heat tests 

Bars and restaurants having restricted opening times .

Schools closing down sporadically .

Entry restrictions into the Country .

People who test positive needing to quarantine 

They seem very reasonable.