News Forum - Despite rising Omicron infections, Thailand is forced to reconsider current restrictions

Thaiger

2 hours ago, JamesR said:

It is not over and will not be for a few years here in the UK.

Boris has got himself into a bit of hot water and so wants to get some support back so he has said from next week if we detect we have covid then if we are not ill then carry on as normal, we can carry on going out, no need to self isolate.

That means there will not be a single restriction in place.

This is all against the medical experts advice but it is a political decision not a medical one.

I don't see why we can not all wear masks in shops etc, they are not life threatening.

This is a silly decision which will backfire.

I like Boris, he has done a good job with Brexit but this is a bit of a silly move.

do give it a rest about Boris 

9 minutes ago, Stonker said:

When did "the public" decide that?

I'm not in the UK but I don't recall reading about a vote 😕.

They just decided to continue as normal 

On 2/19/2022 at 11:45 PM, Marc26 said:

Do you mind telling us which 5 day was refundable?

I haven't looked too hard but figured they were all non refundable 

So been holding off booking my wife's for a couple more weeks

I looked up SHA plus extra hotels and emailed them . My day 1 is with Lohas residence on sukhumvit soi 2 and my day 5 with Ibis hotel soi 4. Both will refund if I cancel the booking but it is pay up front first . Ibis arranges the PCR for you with its sister hotel and provides shuttle minibus to test. 

Personally I'm expecting day 5 to change requirements as mentioned this week , maybe Antigen with no hotel will come in soon . 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Fluke said:

I am now in London and Covid has finished, it was Covid 19-20 and 21 .

It was all over by 2022 .

Why is Thailand still in a pandemic with Covid ?

Because it chooses to and keeps protesters off the streets. There is an election in the air and the government don’t wish to allow peoples attention to drift to matters they believe don’t concern them. You know, things like the economy, education standards, road infrastructure, flooding, human rights etc etc. keep everyone focused on the Covid message and buy more time. 

17 hours ago, Lyp14 [ctxa] said:

Not about the unvaccinated! But you can't be serious in comparing deaths from cancer, strokes, heart attacks, even car accidents with deaths from an infectious disease like COVID! It hasn't finished

I agree it hasn’t finished and it never will. Covid is unlikely to simply disappear. We have to accept a figure of around 100 deaths per day possibly for many many years to come. Rates will fall in the summer and climb in the winter. We have vaccinated all those who want to be vaccinated and I’m afraid that’s all science is offering right now. We can of course lockdown and destroy the country and hope that in 1 year or 10 years those clever scientists come up with a vaccine that truly protects you. But that may take decades. I don’t think we can wait even another 6 months. 

For most developed countries it is now time to move on. That includes Thailand. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I agree it hasn’t finished and it never will. Covid is unlikely to simply disappear. We have to accept a figure of around 100 deaths per day possibly for many many years to come. Rates will fall in the summer and climb in the winter. We have vaccinated all those who want to be vaccinated and I’m afraid that’s all science is offering right now. We can of course lockdown and destroy the country and hope that in 1 year or 10 years those clever scientists come up with a vaccine that truly protects you. But that may take decades. I don’t think we can wait even another 6 months. 

For most developed countries it is now time to move on. That includes Thailand. 

That is simply not true! See, the flu season sometimes has caused as many as 100 deaths a day if not more in some places. But it’s very easy with the flu, you either die or you recover and you are fine. 

COVID though, the number of sequels after infection even in young healthy fit people is astonishingly high. No flu, cold, gastroenteritis, etc will leave sequels in such a high percentage of infected people who otherwise “recovered”.

This issue needs to be resolved first, either with better vaccines, drugs to cure COVID, or COVID simply mutating itself to a point where it doesn’t cause those anymore. Then COVID will be over and it will be just another flu.

Edited by Lyp14 [ctxa]
  • Like 2

Covid cases shouldn’t be compared to other causes of demise. The are an additional cause that only pushes the number higher. It's like x deaths from non covid plus covid deaths. That doesn't take into consideration of the effects of illness and loss work etc. Being sick with covid is serious and shouldn’t be diminished.

Although rules may have been relaxed other places, covid still causes significant morbidity. I assume the worse area are bars and beer garden places, where people congregate. My wife and I limit outside activity but wish we're could do more.

How would it be if someone gets covid on a holiday and is miserably ill.

I encourage everyone to frequently wash your hands, wear a mask, and limit exposure to others.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, JamesR said:

There must be two UK's, maybe we are living in a multiverse. 😀

What is different to normal in your multiverse ?

How is covid currently effecting you ?

It has no effect on me

45 minutes ago, Lyp14 [ctxa] said:

That is simply not true! See, the flu season sometimes has caused as many as 100 deaths a day if not more in some places. But it’s very easy with the flu, you either die or you recover and you are fine. 

COVID though, the number of sequels after infection even in young healthy fit people is astonishingly high. No flu, cold, gastroenteritis, etc will leave sequels in such a high percentage of infected people who otherwise “recovered”.

This issue needs to be resolved first, either with better vaccines, drugs to cure COVID, or COVID simply mutating itself to a point where it doesn’t cause those anymore. Then COVID will be over and it will be just another flu.

Interesting what you say. I never said Covid was just another flu. Far from it in fact. The effects of long Covid and many other longer lasting issues makes it a far more serious virus. My point however is that we have basically two choice:

1) Accept we have the best vaccines available at this point in time and try to restore normality to society while accepting the dreadful facts you highlight. 
2). Continue to restrict and control how people love for an indeterminate amount of time in the hope of better vaccines, cures or treatments. 

I personally think the world can’t wait much longer to accept we have this dreadful virus and learn to live with and accept it. 

1 hour ago, LoongFred said:

Get a life. Covid is exploding and tourist groups want the rules relaxed. Makes zero sense.  

Well all you have to is look all over the world to see the pattern this 5th wave of Omicron takes

It is blatantly obvious that it is much more contagious and much less deadly and or even much less serious illness

So like the rest of the world that has already been through it, most have loosened entry restrictions after an initial knee jerk reaction of tightening them at the beginning of the year 

And I expect Thailand will do the same

1 hour ago, Lyp14 [ctxa] said:

COVID though, the number of sequels after infection even in young healthy fit people is astonishingly high [...] This issue needs to be resolved first, either with better vaccines, drugs to cure COVID, or COVID simply mutating itself to a point where it doesn’t cause those anymore.

I get the sentiment that holding our breath might be the best thing to do, but I'm pessimistic about the probability of not suffocating as a result:

• The risk of long-Covid (sequel?) is unrelated to the severity of a Covid infection, so unlike the current vaccines, an improved vaccine would not just have to diminish the immediate effects of an infection, but it would have go a step further and prevent one. Efforts (like nasal sprays) in that direction are ongoing, but their timeline and ultimate level of success remain uncertain.
  • Post-viral syndrome (in general) has been encountered & recognized for many years, but science is still in the dark as to its causes & solutions. There are some tentative clues but I don't expect that the required key insight resulting in effective drugs will occur anytime soon.
  • Just waiting in the hope that Covid will mutate itself away in the (near?) future would have to be a last resort.

In the end it all boils down to a risk-analysis, but I highly doubt we can afford the time that is needed to come up with the ultimate solution.

Looked at long list for Thailand Pass & decided to listen to the government & “PASS” ;)

Booking for Vietnam & Philippines is a breeze. They can have my 10, 000 US Dollars while Thailand figures out that Covid is endemic. 

10 hours ago, Cabra said:

In other news, Punxsutawney Phil predicts 3 more months of covid restrictions for Thailand.

and fights from Europe over the Crimea and through the Ukraine airspace have been re-routed due to Putins obsession with invading and starting WW3.  No spreading of Covid if the world gets shut down due to a war....

3 hours ago, PJK said:

Looked at long list for Thailand Pass & decided to listen to the government & “PASS” ;)

Booking for Vietnam & Philippines is a breeze. They can have my 10, 000 US Dollars while Thailand figures out that Covid is endemic. 

Good for you.

• Like 1

The current restrictions for those of us living in Thailand aren't much. We wear masks and use hand sanitizers plus try to practice social distancing.  Sure bars etc are closed, but that doesn't affect many.

The real difference is entry requirements to get into Thailand with the 1 & 5 day testing and possible quarantine. There are also multiple PCR-test.  Plus many tourist bars are closed. Since there are still positive cases on day 1 & 5, it points to inadequate pre flight testing in other countries. Thailand is very smart to do it's own testing. So the objections  seem to be the inconvenience of two tests and the expense. Also that bars and party places are not open. 

Not really much in my view, at least not enough to get in a huff about. I don't read much about this in the Thai newspapers so it's not of great importance outside the tourist industry.

Until this disease is effectively controlled, I hope the current restrictions stay in place. 

I wouldn't blame lower tourism on the restrictions alone, because the current world economic situation isn't good. Tourism is dependent on disposable income and risks associated with travel. Both are a current problem.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

The current restrictions for those of us living in Thailand aren't much. We wear masks and use hand sanitizers plus try to practice social distancing.  Sure bars etc are closed, but that doesn't affect many.

The real difference is entry requirements to get into Thailand with the 1 & 5 day testing and possible quarantine. There are also multiple PCR-test.  Plus many tourist bars are closed. Since there are still positive cases on day 1 & 5, it points to inadequate pre flight testing in other countries. Thailand is very smart to do it's own testing. So the objections  seem to be the inconvenience of two tests and the expense. Also that bars and party places are not open. 

Not really much in my view, at least not enough to get in a huff about. I don't read much about this in the Thai newspapers so it's not of great importance outside the tourist industry.

Until this disease is effectively controlled, I hope the current restrictions stay in place. 

I wouldn't blame lower tourism on the restrictions alone, because the current world economic situation isn't good. Tourism is dependent on disposable income and risks associated with travel. Both are a current problem.

Is disposal income a problem? I don't think so

Most people remained the same, many actually have done better

Household savings is way up

Even the lower income groups, many made more money due to stimulus 

I personally don't know anyone who got hurt and I know many who have done better during covid 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Is disposal income a problem? I don't think so

Most people remained the same, many actually have done better

Household savings is way up

Even the lower income groups, many made more money due to stimulus 

I personally don't know anyone who got hurt and I know many who have done better during covid 

Some people have been badly affected by Covid - mainly in tourist related businesses. Apart from that I agree entirely with your post - several of my family members are significantly better off as a direct result of Covid. In some cases work/life balances have changed greatly - my daughter and her partner now only need to go into London for a maximum of 2 days a week; this enabled them to abandon a GBP 450k flat purchase in East London and buy instead a 3 bed detached house in the Midlands. They are now looking at spending 4/5 months in Thailand/Asia every year - that thinking was accelerated by the effects of Covid.

Personally, I have never been in a better financial position, due mainly to the good fortune of owing a crematorium - and also reduced expenditure from no international travel. One residual issue may be that the lack of travel has dampened my previous desire to travel to the UK/Europe andelsewhere.

31 minutes ago, Chaimai said:

Some people have been badly affected by Covid - mainly in tourist related businesses. Apart from that I agree entirely with your post - several of my family members are significantly better off as a direct result of Covid. In some cases work/life balances have changed greatly - my daughter and her partner now only need to go into London for a maximum of 2 days a week; this enabled them to abandon a GBP 450k flat purchase in East London and buy instead a 3 bed detached house in the Midlands. They are now looking at spending 4/5 months in Thailand/Asia every year - that thinking was accelerated by the effects of Covid.

Personally, I have never been in a better financial position, due mainly to the good fortune of owing a crematorium - and also reduced expenditure from no international travel. One residual issue may be that the lack of travel has dampened my previous desire to travel to the UK/Europe andelsewhere.

So many households have saved on commuting costs,(gas, parking, public transportation)

My #1 guy lived 45mins away and has WFH since March 2020

He saves around 700cad/mo in gas and parking 

That's pretty significant 

And yes, many who haven't been hurt economic wise have not traveled as much so there is a built up savings

Again, not saying no one got hurt

But I think overall, the people who would be traveling to Thailand have fared pretty well in all this and have the disposable income

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PJK said:

Me too I  usually spend 5K US on a two week trip. Luckily I was in Phuket in November. I change my tickets from Bangkok in April to the Philippines. I’ll be back but not until the nonsense is finished. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LoongFred said:

Good for you.

Very true - smart man for voting with his wallet. I did the same thing, I have confirmed tickets but changed them to the Philippines

On 2/19/2022 at 5:54 PM, Kaen said:

I fail to see the purpose and value of the Thailand pass, when the documents required to aquire the pass, such as the covid vaccination passport, need to be presented and scrutinised on arrival in Thailand! What purpose does it serve? Totally ridiculous waste of time and money. Either keep the pass and do away with all pass associated document checks on arrival, or do away with the pass and have the documents verified on arrival.

Government job security. It’s not about making sense

On 2/20/2022 at 11:17 PM, Fluke said:

About 2000 people die everyday in the U.K from various things , amazed that only 128 of them had Covid as well 

I wonder when or if the statistics will differentiate how many people die from Covid-19 and how many people die with Covid-19.

There is a big difference between someone dying from heart failure due to heart disease but also having covid and someone dying from heart failure due to their system shutting down because they have covid.

• Like 1