News Forum - Despite rising Omicron infections, Thailand is forced to reconsider current restrictions

Thaiger

19 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Why?

Factors do force governments to change and implement policy all the time

There are many things governments wouldn't change but mitigating factors force them to do so

The headline was "Thailand is forced to reconsider current restrictions".

It's simply untrue.

The CCSA reconsider current restrictions every time they meet - as you rightly say, "all the time".

The headline suggests that somehow that's changed and something's "forced" them to give the restrictions extra consideration - the economy, public opinion, Covid cases / hospitalisations / deaths.

But there have been NO major changes to any of those factors at all recently - it's just a completely manufactured story.

11 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Are you now allowed to transit through BKK to Phuket?

You weren't until very recently 

Technically yes, but the actual procedure is unclear.

7 hours ago, Sgtsabai said:

I've been trying to go to Lao to see my Lao family but have been stymied by 1st their 14 day lockup, lock me up in a hotel room for 2 weeks and I'll end up in real jail, and getting back in Thailand. Now that Lao has dropped the jail time to one test and up to 48 hrs. for test result I can do. My biggest problem now is getting back into Thailand. The way this "government" has acted/reacted I don't want to get trapped in Lao. I have extension of stay coming up and a lock down again would really make life difficult. Contrary to popular belief the land border is open for proper visa holders, getting into Lao is no problem, still hoops to jump through, but coming back I have heard that test and go, stop, test and maybe go is not in effect coming over the bridge, just for fly in. Coming back over the bridge is jail/hotel for 7 days in Nong Khai. This relates to Nong Khai/Vientiane. I live in Udon, have for some 12 years. Can anybody clarify?

If you didn't make up your own terms ('jail' / 'test and go, stop, test and maybe go') and stuck to what they're actually called I'd know what you were talking about and be happy to clarify.

tourist official's estimate back in early Jan. was 5-8 million visitors 'set/on track/expected to, blah, blah arrive this year. Pent up demand! Don't forget @ sgtsabai, even from Lao, you will need the wonderful thai pass 2.0 which will require the US 50K health ins. Be sure to read the fine print on that sir.

On 2/19/2022 at 5:24 AM, Somchai said:

Its takes quite a paperwork to come to Thailand, and if someone is not fluent in English , he wont be able to do it.

You need a special covid insurance with a Thai insurance company, you need to book tests online, you need to pay for an SHA hotel, including transport from the airport, you need certificate from all of these , then you must register for the Thailand Pass where you have to upload all these documents.

So, you are either fluent in English or you are a package tourist and your travel agency takes care all of this pain in the ass paperwork.

Being English I am quite good at English, the reason I am not going yet is because I can't be bothered with all that paperwork and uncertainty of things changing mid-way.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Fluke said:

I am now in London and Covid has finished, it was Covid 19-20 and 21 .

It was all over by 2022 .

Why is Thailand still in a pandemic with Covid ?

Tell that crap to the families of the 128 people that died from Covid in the UK in the last 24 hours. 

• Like 3

Just now, Tim_Melb said:

Tell that crap to the families of the 128 people that died from Covid in the UK in the last 24 hours. 

About 2000 people die everyday in the U.K from various things , amazed that only 128 of them had Covid as well 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Fluke said:

About 2000 people die everyday in the U.K from various things , amazed that only 128 of them had Covid as well 

Yes, believe it or not, a lot of people die because of their own stupidity too. You can see them in the following website: 

https://darwinawards.com

Fortunately, unlike COVID, them being stupid and dying as a result of their stupidity won't affect others (like me) in the slightest. 😉

13 minutes ago, Lyp14 [ctxa] said:

Yes, believe it or not, a lot of people die because of their own stupidity too. You can see them in the following website: 

https://darwinawards.com

Fortunately, unlike COVID, them being stupid and dying as a result of their stupidity won't affect others (like me) in the slightest. 😉

But they are full vaccinated with boosters as well , wouldn't that make them immune from the virus ?

Errrmm, sorry, are you still going on about the unvaccinated ?

Thats all in the past, Covid in the UK is over and everything's back to normal 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fluke said:

But they are full vaccinated with boosters as well , wouldn't that make them immune from the virus ?

Errrmm, sorry, are you still going on about the unvaccinated ?

Not about the unvaccinated! But you can't be serious in comparing deaths from cancer, strokes, heart attacks, even car accidents with deaths from an infectious disease like COVID! It hasn't finished

4 hours ago, Stonker said:

The headline was "Thailand is forced to reconsider current restrictions".

It's simply untrue.

The CCSA reconsider current restrictions every time they meet - as you rightly say, "all the time".

The headline suggests that somehow that's changed and something's "forced" them to give the restrictions extra consideration - the economy, public opinion, Covid cases / hospitalisations / deaths.

But there have been NO major changes to any of those factors at all recently - it's just a completely manufactured story.

I think the lackluster arrival figures since reboot and neighboring countries relaxing restrictions may "force" Thailand to at least do away with the 5th day testing 

Which I do think is deterring people to go to Thailand 

If it weren't for family, there is no way I would be going in April 

I'm OK with the arrival test, but the 5th test really is a hassle 

1 hour ago, Fluke said:

I wish I could say that I'm amazed that you're amazed - but I'm not.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I think the lackluster arrival figures since reboot and neighboring countries relaxing restrictions may "force" Thailand to at least do away with the 5th day testing 

Which I do think is deterring people to go to Thailand 

If it weren't for family, there is no way I would be going in April 

I'm OK with the arrival test, but the 5th test really is a hassle 

Yay - let's follow the Philippines and treble the daily Covid deaths!

I'm not saying relaxing entry requirements is responsible, but given the minimal numbers why risk finding out? Has it really made that much difference to the Philippines?

I return in a few days from a 5 week trip to the US.  When I did my Thai Pass Test N Go application it was approved in December prior to the cancelation and the new reinstatement of the program. My Approval QR code for the TNG is good until March 1st, back then you could apply 90 days in advance, now its just 60 days.  My TNG required only a 1 night booking and test at an SHA++ hotel, with a return on day 6 or 7 for an ATK test which was soon changed to a PCR test just before they shut off the initial applications on December 22nd.  I am wondering if when I show up this week that they will make me book a night 5 SHA++ hotel and 2nd PCR test as originally they were going to pay for the 2nd test.  I live 100 meters from the Hotel I will be staying at and 200 meters from BNH Hospital where I am registered and have been for the past several years.  Wish they would make the right decisions on the testing for day 5 and abolish it.  The chances of becoming infected in the country between day 1 and day 5 are a possibility, but to that end I will isolate in my condo, plenty of room to do so, and my housekeeper will be stocking the pantry, refrigerator and freezer prior to my arrival, as she is a live-in.  Last thing I want is to be forced into a facility by this Government.  Twice vaccinated and fully boosted with a full dose of Moderna.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fluke said:

It is not because a (populist) politician says it is over that it is over.

3 minutes ago, Alavan said:

I am talking about daily life, daily life is back to normal 

23 minutes ago, Alavan said:

It is not over and will not be for a few years here in the UK.

Boris has got himself into a bit of hot water and so wants to get some support back so he has said from next week if we detect we have covid then if we are not ill then carry on as normal, we can carry on going out, no need to self isolate.

That means there will not be a single restriction in place.

This is all against the medical experts advice but it is a political decision not a medical one.

I don't see why we can not all wear masks in shops etc, they are not life threatening.

This is a silly decision which will backfire.

I like Boris, he has done a good job with Brexit but this is a bit of a silly move.

27 minutes ago, Alavan said:

Borish Johnson hasnt stated that its over, the public have decided that it is 

2 hours ago, Fluke said:

Whaaaa, so funny.😃

If that is true how come we the public have not decided the minimum wage should be £30 per hour?

Or free cars etc?

2 hours ago, Fluke said:

When did "the public" decide that?

I'm not in the UK but I don't recall reading about a vote 😕.

2 hours ago, JamesR said:

It is not over and will not be for a few years here in the UK.

Boris has got himself into a bit of hot water and so wants to get some support back so he has said from next week if we detect we have covid then if we are not ill then carry on as normal, we can carry on going out, no need to self isolate.

That means there will not be a single restriction in place.

This is all against the medical experts advice but it is a political decision not a medical one.

I don't see why we can not all wear masks in shops etc, they are not life threatening.

This is a silly decision which will backfire.

With you until the last para, where we have to part company - whether it was the right choice or not is arguable, but he's completely stuffed up the 'divorce'.

Maybe something for another thread .....

19 minutes ago, JamesR said:

Whaaaa, so funny.😃

If that is true how come we the public have not decided the minimum wage should be £30 per hour?

Or free cars etc?

the virus will not stop when Boris tells it to