News Forum - Thailand’s hotel operators call for PCR testing on arrival to be dropped

Thaiger

The Thai Hotels Association says the government must drop the PCR testing requirement for foreign visitors if there’s going to be any hope of salvaging the country’s tourism industry. THA president Marisa Sukosol Nunbhakdi says demand for the revamped Test & Go scheme is lower now than when it was first launched in November, due to high season coming to an end soon. However, she says the new requirement for a second PCR test on day 5 is also a factor. “We have to create more momentum for the industry to take off from its historic low. If the testing […]

The story Thailand’s hotel operators call for PCR testing on arrival to be dropped as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

8 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

. However, she says the new requirement for a second PCR test on day 5 is also a factor

Of all stupid rules they've come up with, the day 5 test&hotel is by far the worst.

• Like 13

The current process is absurd. I don't have any problem with some kind of pre-approval, such as the Cambodian e-visa setup, a pre-departure test, or even the day 1 test (I am usually too tired after a long flight to do anything anyway), but the day 5 test requirement is insane.

• Like 8

Thailand figured it out that they already lost tourists to other countries like Philippines, Cambodia & Vietnam (very soon), I'll wait until it happens or this is another "blah".."blah".."blah" to the media without taking further action. I'll take PCR Testing upon departure, TP & COVID-19 insurance anytime as long as they get rid off that freakin Day 1 & Day 5 PCR test on quarantine.

41 minutes ago, francoa said:

First day in a hotel is annoying but, lets say, okay. But that 5th to come back? That is absolutely ridiculous and that is the main killer

I believe they will do away with the 5th day test in the next few weeks

Just my hunch 

• Like 1

They will try to milk out every dollar from the tourists.This is a never ending story.Other asian countries makes it easier o come..thailand do the opposit.

• Like 1

I arrived in January with the Thailand pass and test on arrival. At the time, they had also introduced a day 5 test but without the need to stay in a hotel on day 5 awaiting results. I went to a nearby hospital and had the test which was also free at the time. I felt that was an imposition which most genuine tourists would find too much. Then they went and made it a requirement to stay in a hotel on the day 5 test. There must be a Thai equivalent to the phrase “shooting yourself in your foot”

• Like 7

Also,

comsidering that majority of west is getting rid off vaccine passports and basically any covid restrictions, people will be more sensitive to coming to a country, where if they want to attend something, they need vaccine pass and similar crap….people certainly dont want to go from NO restriction country backwards, to a covid restricted one

Sadly, they'll probably taper off the rules gradually, and return rules they had in place late Dec, with hotel+PCR on arrival, then "only" a PCR day 5. Another couple of months without tourists.. ..

for people who have had their shots that should be good.no more crap test and dont go.and the crap rip off insurance too.thats stopping your tourtist  cold!!go back to mail in visa as before like in 2019 and you will get millions.many,many tourtist is done with the stupid down loads,sites that dont work,embassys that dont answere phones or e mails.its a nightmare.meanwhile this govt is letting thai people suffer and loose their buiness.so very sad for the thai working people.

• Like 1

thai govt requires insurance for  time of your visa.but if over 70/74 you cany buy it from most companies.the ones who will sell it to over 74 will only sell it for one month.!!this will not cover your visa time and even then the cost is thru the roof.its crazy.and most guys coming already have insurance in home country that covers them.but thai wont accept it with out a boat load of paper work that no usa insurance company will do.so you are screwed!!drop this crap. and only way it pays if you are in the hospital being treated for ''covid''!which is not going to happen if you have both shots.so its a rip off money grab!!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, francoa said:

Also,

comsidering that majority of west is getting rid off vaccine passports and basically any covid restrictions, people will be more sensitive to coming to a country, where if they want to attend something, they need vaccine pass and similar crap….people certainly dont want to go from NO restriction country backwards, to a covid restricted one

Yeap, that's right. Especially in a country where you have to wear a mask...on the beach, in a car (even with just your own partner inside), on the bike, in a forest, in the jungle, in a park alone, ................

5 minutes ago, Manu said:

Yeap, that's right. Especially in a country where you have to wear a mask...on the beach, in a car (even with just your own partner inside), on the bike, in a forest, in the jungle, in a park alone, ................

I'm sitting I'm my car right now watching the motorbikes,  it's amazing how basically everyone is wearing a mask, while very few have a helmet....

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, DoUKnowWhoIAm said:

I'm sitting I'm my car right now watching the motorbikes,  it's amazing how basically everyone is wearing a mask, while very few have a helmet....

Where are you?

I see people without helmets but "very few have a helmet"

I wouldn't even say that for the village 

Most where a helmet on the main roads 

For the typical 1-2 week tourist, which make up the bulk of those who use to travel to Thailand, any risk of testing positive and getting quarantined is too much. A pre flight test is ok, you can just stay home. Not great but acceptable. An on arrival test not so much, and a day 5 is even worse. Only a small minority will be willing to risk the bulk of their vacation this way. Just too easy to go somewhere else. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DoUKnowWhoIAm said:

Yeah, I have writen that story before although I am sure we all see similar ones everyday, but once I saw the dad driving the bike, the mum at the back and stuck inbetween, their 2 small kids (less than 5 years old), all of them with the mask on (the youngest one being honestly 2 years old at the most) but of course, no helmet.

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

Where are you?

I see people without helmets but "very few have a helmet"

I wouldn't even say that for the village 

Most where a helmet on the main roads 

Well I am personally on Koh Chang and on the only main road on the west coast, I would honestly say that not more than 5% wear a helmet while at least 90% wear a mask. So they do not follow that law that can save their lives while they follow strictly a complete useless one. And that is simply an objective fact that I see everyday here...

Last year, a 17 years old with no helmet hit a car coming the opposite way right in front of me. He died on the spot.

Over the last 2 years I have not visited Thailand. Indeed I was in Thailand when Covid hit and had to cut short a planned two months vacation. However in the previous 17 years I was a regular visitor staying an average 4 weeks twice a year.

I am in favour of testing either before departure to Thailand or the Test and Go but only on day 1. 

In that way I can feel more reassured that the Covid risk is reduced and  encourage me to travel. I am fully vaccinated and as the requirements to enter Spain are both practical and sensible I am currently holidaying in Tenerife. Thailand gets a by ball until they get their act together. 

I believe many feel the same.