News Forum - Amnesty faces being kicked out of Thailand for not meeting “legal requirements”

Thaiger

Well, it would also gather that another reason not mentioned is that they never ever want the issues of activists dissapearing who are never to be found ever again or ending up like some others disemboweld and with a cement filled stomach cavity. 

It goes much deeper than what they are saying, as this is a silencing mode being put inot action to cover up, and it just doesn't just take the teeth out of the dog but makes the dog go away. And they are doing this on a generalized sweep on all NGO's by the NPO law.

Here is a quote from Amnesty Internaytioanl Website: The targeting of Amnesty is taking place against a backdrop of a growing intolerance for human rights discourse among Thai authorities.”

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Boonchob says one criteria for an operating licence is that the organisation is not driven by a political agenda that threatens Thailand’s

So it won't get renewed, then? How comes, it got last time? Of course, Amnesty and ALL NGOs are driven by political agendas!

I was almost ROFLMAO, after reading that the new foreign minister of German is "hiring" the boss of Greenpeace, to become state secretary:

https://newsrnd.com/news/2022-02-14-annalena-baerbock-makes-greenpeace-boss-state-secretary--motives-are-luxury.HyfQQt1Oyc.html

Greenpeace has a political agenda for 40 years, and now, in Germany, one of 'em gets officially installed in the Government. From a Green Party member! That will be interesting to watch!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Boonchob says one criteria for an operating licence is that the organisation is not driven by a political agenda that threatens Thailand’s

So it won't get renewed, then? How comes, it got last time? Of course, Amnesty and ALL NGOs are driven by political agendas!

I was almost ROFLMAO, after reading that the new foreign minister of German is "hiring" the boss of Greenpeace, to become state secretary:

https://newsrnd.com/news/2022-02-14-annalena-baerbock-makes-greenpeace-boss-state-secretary--motives-are-luxury.HyfQQt1Oyc.html

Greenpeace has a political agenda for 40 years, and now, in Germany, one of 'em gets officially installed in the Government. From a Green Party member! That will be interesting to watch!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Cabra said:

It's tough to be everywhere at once. They go where they are needed most. To areas where people's voices are under represented, or not being heard. They will always be viewed negatively by those they criticize. If they weren't, they are probably not living up to their mission statement.

Where do they stand on Julian Assange?

4 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

How do you expect an NGO to gain traction without the tools a Government may use?  You used that stupid 'woke' term but perhaps you don't know its meaning either.

So why mention it?

Woke is American slang, and comes from rap music. It probably doesn’t have the same meaning for non Americans. It’s and ok term but usually refers to less accepted far left views. 

22 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

Woke is American slang, and comes from rap music. It probably doesn’t have the same meaning for non Americans. It’s and ok term but usually refers to less accepted far left views. 

Hello, Fred!    You have evidently put more of a US political twist to the term 'woke' than most dictionaries do. Here's the Oxford Dictionary's definition . . . 'alert to injustice in society, especially racism.'

• Like 5

10 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

1.2 million signed a petition? No way I am not buying that one. So they are kicking them out because of a National Security interest. I am also not buying that one, but if categorized that way then they will defintely be shown the door. Seems like they are itching closer and closer to the CCP way.

Well the unelected pm does like the chicoms 

14 hours ago, Thaiger said:

The human rights organisation, Amnesty International, risks being expelled from Thailand, with the government accusing it of failing to comply with legal requirements. According to a Bangkok Post report, Boonchob Suthamanaswong from the Labour Ministry says officials are considering whether to renew the organisation’s operating licence. He says Amnesty’s request will be reviewed by a panel whose remit is to ensure international NGOs comply with the legal requirements attached to operating licences, which are renewed every 2 years. Boonchob says one criteria for an operating licence is that the organisation is not driven by a political agenda that threatens Thailand’s […]

The story Amnesty faces being kicked out of Thailand for not meeting “legal requirements” as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

NGOs are known organizations being used as cover for "intelligence" ops, nothing new

Thailand doesn't want the world to know how about are things politically here,

and things start to go very very bad after Covid restrictions are lifted, they don't want Amnesty be the witness of it all

15 hours ago, LoongFred said:

Amnesty international doesn't appear to do much. Probably exists to give cush jobs to insiders that are overpaid. Good bye.

This comment is blissfully ignorant of the facts. Typically there is no money to be made by those dedicating their time and sometimes even risking their lives. Human rights is something worthwhile standing up for. Not only in Thailand.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Guest1 said:

Greenpeace has an agenda. One may or may not like what they do, but it is out of question that their goal, to save the planet, is commendable. Not a political agenda. But those criticized - be it by Greenpeace or AI - are of course not pleased. Russia is doing the same with NGOs and free media outlets. Telling.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Cabra said:

It's tough to be everywhere at once. They go where they are needed most. To areas where people's voices are under represented, or not being heard. They will always be viewed negatively by those they criticize. If they weren't, they are probably not living up to their mission statement.

AI isn't going anywhere like sending a team to a certain country. They are organized regionally, so there are AI regional offices in many countries. So closing down the local office in Thailand means that there will be no AI in Thailand anymore. One critical watchdog less to worry about for the government.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Fundok said:

AI isn't going anywhere like sending a team to a certain country. They are organized regionally, so there are AI regional offices in many countries. So closing down the local office in Thailand means there will be no AI in Thailand anymore. One critical watchdog less to worry about for the government.

Amusingly, the Thai government fails to realise that if AI stops operating within Thailand in a physical sense, then they can intensify the criticism and be more vocal about taboo subjects. There is no longer any threat to staff and minimal civil legal repercussions for what would be a matter of free speech.

And how do you stop a grassroots movement operating under an NGO umbrella globally? You can't. But the small military minds can't comprehend that it seems.

As a sidenote, Cambodia is introducing a Great Firewall of China shortly. I wonder how much Thailand will envy that situation. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Fundok said:

This comment is blissfully ignorant of the facts. Typically there is no money to be made by those dedicating their time and sometimes even risking their lives. Human rights is something worthwhile standing up for. Not only in Thailand.

They have high salaries and live a good life in Thailand.  What / who are they helping besides themselves. I'm  all for human right but feel their are Thai organizations that are more representative of the Thai people.

12 hours ago, King Cotton said:

Hello, Fred!    You have evidently put more of a US political twist to the term 'woke' than most dictionaries do. Here's the Oxford Dictionary's definition . . . 'alert to injustice in society, especially racism.'

Not at all true. Oxford is way out of date. American stang moves much fasted than the printed page. 

Political twists probably are very dependent on where you're from and your ideology.  I think AI only represents causes they ideology agree with, rather than everyone equally. Additionally, I can't see results of their efforts so I must assume that they're not that effective.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

Not at all true. Oxford is way out of date. American stang moves much fasted than the printed page. 

Political twists probably are very dependent on where you're from and your ideology.  I think AI only represents causes they ideology agree with, rather than everyone equally. Additionally, I can't see results of their efforts so I must assume that they're not that effective.

Perhaps, one should identify where they are from when using a slang term. I get confused by British and or Australian terms from time to time.

28 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

Perhaps, one should identify where they are from when using a slang term. I get confused by British and or Australian terms from time to time.

Or not use it at all, if they want to be understood. Some people like to sound, errrr, ummmm, what's the term? Oh yes, 'edgy.' 😃

14 hours ago, King Cotton said:

Hello, Fred!    You have evidently put more of a US political twist to the term '>unidentified slang term<' than most dictionaries do. Here's the Oxford Dictionary's definition . . . 'alert to injustice in society, especially racism.'

Yes he always put his own agenda or opinion as the official version or the version of the majority. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, LoongFred said:

Everybody knows you are using your own agenda and ideology for terms what is the official one, the right one and the majority. You just described yourself!

7  years ago neighboring Cambodia was still fighting to get a Law in place to regulate the NGO Sector and in total it almost took 2 decades to finally get it signed off (but NGO still not satisfied)

https://thediplomat.com/2015/07/does-cambodia-really-need-a-new-ngo-law/

The  reasons are basically the same as in Thailand. NGO's object to nothing more than to transparency. A great number of many NGO in foreign countries simply don't want to tell how much global funding they receive and who is in charge for what kind of work .

3 hours ago, LoongFred said:

They have high salaries and live a good life in Thailand.  What / who are they helping besides themselves. I'm  all for human right but feel their are Thai organizations that are more representative of the Thai people.

AI is a NGO. They mainly rely on volunteers (often lawyers working on a pro bono basis). Maybe its different in Thailand, but I doubt it. In 1977 it was awarded to Nobel peace prize by the way. Maybe you can reveal the source of your information regarding the high salaries? AI is also not purporting to "represent" the people of Thailand. Their mission is to be a human rights watch.

In the interim, have a look here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amnesty_International_Thailand

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Fundok said:

Greenpeace has an agenda. One may or may not like what they do, but it is out of question that their goal, to save the planet, is commendable. Not a political agenda. But those criticized - be it by Greenpeace or AI - are of course not pleased. Russia is doing the same with NGOs and free media outlets. Telling.

So you are not calling it an political agenda,  to make there view of the world, the ideas of a minority, to become agenda of the gouvernment(s)? In many countries , green parties started as "activists" and made it the long way into gouvernments. At least europe is in many places, EU parliament, to just name the biggest  of it, infiltrated by this mostly ideologicly driven people. They have, probably, good intentions, but no idea, how connect them with the reality. The western civilisation is going into one of the biggest challenges, right now, with the electrification of everything, without having the adequate technology, to success for sure! Wind and solar is not be able, to guarantee power at all times. And with the rest of the world has planed over 1000 new coal powerplants, even just cooking and heating europe with sun and solar, will not stop or equal that!

As long NGOs  are trying to change gouvernments decisions, that is a political agenda. To me!

And in case with their activities outside the law, they still are called "activists", and not terr..., eh, criminals, the media supporting that agenda. Which also has a political direction in it!

Just my2c ;-)

Change is needed, in many places, for many things. Just as long it does not come from inside, but from people most often only "offended on your behalf", that is a spit in the face of the "your behalf"  group.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, King Cotton said:

Keep to topic please, Fred . . . this thread has little, if anything, to do with Alcoholics Unanimous Anonymous 🙄!

Sorry it shout read AI but I'm sure you knew that.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Guest1 said:

So you are not calling it an political agenda,  to make there view of the world, the ideas of a minority, to become agenda of the gouvernment(s)? In many countries , green parties started as "activists" and made it the long way into gouvernments. At least europe is in many places, EU parliament, to just name the biggest  of it, infiltrated by this mostly ideologicly driven people. They have, probably, good intentions, but no idea, how connect them with the reality. The western civilisation is going into one of the biggest challenges, right now, with the electrification of everything, without having the adequate technology, to success for sure! Wind and solar is not be able, to guarantee power at all times. And with the rest of the world has planed over 1000 new coal powerplants, even just cooking and heating europe with sun and solar, will not stop or equal that!

As long NGOs  are trying to change gouvernments decisions, that is a political agenda. To me!

And in case with their activities outside the law, they still are called "activists", and not terr..., eh, criminals, the media supporting that agenda. Which also has a political direction in it!

Just my2c ;-)

Change is needed, in many places, for many things. Just as long it does not come from inside, but from people most often only "offended on your behalf", that is a spit in the face of the "your behalf"  group.

Semantics. Political parties are expected to cover virtually all areas of life and the community whereas NGOs typically concentrate their efforts on one specific topic.

I don't see much merit in talking about the sense or non-sense of having NGOs in general. I wouldn't even disagree that some goals they pursue and some ways they go about are questionable. But this is not the topic here.

AI is in my view important, trying to protect and preserve human rights all over the world. By doing so, it is a thorn in the flesh of those misusing their power, and that's why AI often faces attempts to silence them.

This is a regionally organised NGO with local offices in 50+ countries, and even in countries where human rights are mainly respected there is always room for improvement. As for a country which is governed by a military junta every attempt to close the regional office down should raise red flags.

• Like 2