News Forum - Amnesty faces being kicked out of Thailand for not meeting “legal requirements”

Thaiger

The human rights organisation, Amnesty International, risks being expelled from Thailand, with the government accusing it of failing to comply with legal requirements. According to a Bangkok Post report, Boonchob Suthamanaswong from the Labour Ministry says officials are considering whether to renew the organisation’s operating licence. He says Amnesty’s request will be reviewed by a panel whose remit is to ensure international NGOs comply with the legal requirements attached to operating licences, which are renewed every 2 years. Boonchob says one criteria for an operating licence is that the organisation is not driven by a political agenda that threatens Thailand’s […]

The story Amnesty faces being kicked out of Thailand for not meeting “legal requirements” as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Haha 1

Just go. I can’t see what benefit a physical presence has for Amnesty International in a country. Kicking them out however is not a good look for a supposed democracy. 

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

1.2 million signed a petition? No way I am not buying that one. So they are kicking them out because of a National Security interest. I am also not buying that one, but if categorized that way then they will defintely be shown the door. Seems like they are itching closer and closer to the CCP way.

• Like 9

55 minutes ago, Fanta said:

Just go. I can’t see what benefit a physical presence has for Amnesty International in a country. Kicking them out however is not a good look for a supposed democracy. 

People who have problems with human rights are people who have to hide something and suspicious. For sure criminals don't like any watch dogs.

• Like 8

27 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Bye Amnesty. Been nice not knowing you! 😀

Then better not come anymore to Europe. For sure they should proove by who you are sponsored! They will be interested why sombody has problems with human right, like torture and killings of people.

• Like 2

Okay, here is my two cents.

Thailand is sort of totalitarian state. Certainly not perfect. But Amnesty International is a woke crap and I would be happy of they are kicked from my own country too.

• Like 5

I dont think any human rights group is very welcome here

this combined with groups supporting, refugees ,   fishermens / fishing  rights to workers conditions.

Sadly legalized human trafficking is more less the norm here

Edited by poohy
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

Amnesty international doesn't appear to do much. Probably exists to give cush jobs to insiders that are overpaid. Good bye.

Not only do you win todays prize for the most ignorant comment. You have also excelled yourself in the utter ignorance of your post. It never ceases to amaze me why people turn to the internet in order to make such vile and nasty comments. An utterly disgraceful and unqualified comment. Try doing some research before you decide to spread false information 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Angry 1

A lot of hate here for an organisation that champions human rights as much of the world pushes on to authoritarianism. They are a thorn in the side of every government for a very good reason. How easily some of you give away your power with a farewell and cheer.

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, francoa said:

Okay, here is my two cents.

Thailand is sort of totalitarian state. Certainly not perfect. But Amnesty International is a woke crap and I would be happy of they are kicked from my own country too.

Thats a nasty four letter word  Woke!

Internationally The organization has some good, bad and ugly history !

In Thailand Im inclined  to think its a good thing ! 

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

35 minutes ago, Artemis080 said:

A lot of hate here for an organisation that champions human rights as much of the world pushes on to authoritarianism. They are a thorn in the side of every government for a very good reason. How easily some of you give away your power with a farewell and cheer.

When was the last time they 'represented' someone on their own turf? Guess where that is?😀

People with knowledge know who are on the wrong side of the history and for sure know who will be stronger and who are the loosers already in any way morally, financially and technically. All these nasty dictatorships are and were loosers in the history and will be. 

Some already hear the song " bad boys, bad boys what you gonna do when they come for you"

The wise ones know who is the stronger side and who the little bad boys with the big mouth playing with fire , small ant but thinking can play with the powers and the world. Clowns are acting stupid as usual and wondering when they burn themself and Clowns are cutting the branch of tree they are sitting on and wondering when they fall down.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Soidog said:

As you clearly don’t know how to use Google, open wide while I spoon feed you 

https://www.amnesty.org.uk/issues/human-rights-uk

Although there charter says they are supposed to assure rights are upheld.  They seem very weak and ineffective. Also they appear to usually represent a woke point of view, that's becoming increasingly unpopular. 

Things like the Canadian truckers can't expect help because they're on the wrong side of the political spectrum.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

Not only do you win todays prize for the most ignorant comment. You have also excelled yourself in the utter ignorance of your post. It never ceases to amaze me why people turn to the internet in order to make such vile and nasty comments. An utterly disgraceful and unqualified comment. Try doing some research before you decide to spread false information 

Seems like I hit a raw nerve. However, we clearly see things differently. The Thai government has every right to make sure AA meet the legal requirement. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

Although there charter says they are supposed to assure rights are upheld.  They seem very weak and ineffective. Also they appear to usually represent a woke point of view, that's becoming increasingly unpopular. 

Things like the Canadian truckers can't expect help because they're on the wrong side of the political spectrum.

They don't use guns nor have any heavy duty powers do they?   What does racial prejudice and discrimination have to do with their objectives. ('woke' is such a stupid word)

Canadian truckers don't need them that's for sure.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, LoongFred said:

Things like the Canadian truckers can't expect help because they're on the wrong side of the political spectrum

Excellent observation Loongfred Bud that's why they lost all credibility as a Human Rights Organisation a longtime ago.

Edited by 23RD
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

Seems like I hit a raw nerve. However, we clearly see things differently. The Thai government has every right to make sure AA meet the legal requirement. 

Keep to topic please, Fred . . . this thread has little, if anything, to do with Alcoholics Unanimous Anonymous 🙄!

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, KaptainRob said:

They don't use guns nor have any heavy duty powers do they?   What does racial prejudice and discrimination have to do with their objectives. ('woke' is such a stupid word)

Canadian truckers don't need them that's for sure.

Not sure how guns and heavy weapons fit in and or racial prejudice. However, they should be concerned about everyone's rights not just those  that are politically correct. That where they fail IMO.

The truckers fight is against government overreach, I believe.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

Not sure how guns and heavy weapons fit in and or racial prejudice.

How do you expect an NGO to gain traction without the tools a Government may use?  You used that stupid 'woke' term but perhaps you don't know its meaning either.

13 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

The truckers fight is against government overreach, I believe.

So why mention it?

• Like 1

Amnesty International is a worthwhile Organisation. Standing for what it stands for, means it has to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and demonstrate that in reality, all the time. For this organisation to remain credible means it has to rise above. If it cannot be exemplary in it's behaviour, it's credibility is greatly diminished and it cannot effectively function. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Poolie said:

When was the last time they 'represented' someone on their own turf

It's tough to be everywhere at once. They go where they are needed most. To areas where people's voices are under represented, or not being heard. They will always be viewed negatively by those they criticize. If they weren't, they are probably not living up to their mission statement.

• Like 7